Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No more bike washing

We have a problem down here in the South East of England and it is water---We don't have any.

Last couple of years have been lacking in the "Wet fally down" stuff and this has led to the resoirvoirs being around 50% empty. Could have said full but not the way I am feeling right now.

By the end of the month we will have a hosepipe ban- so that will mean the end of our drought- but until the water companies are happy we will not be able to wash our cars- fill our Swimming pools- Water the gardens with a hosepipe and several other things

Car washing doesn't bother me but I now have about two weeks to De-Winter the pool and fill it up- Get in another 6 or so water butts for the garden- lay in plenty of Pledge for the polishing of the bike and the Whiskey is going to be neat from now on.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    By the end of the month we will have a hosepipe ban- so that will mean the end of our drought- but until the water companies are happy we will not be able to fill our Swimming pools.
    Times like that lead to the wild skateboard tricks that they can do now and really paved the way for most extreme sports.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just use a bucket of water? according to the article on the BBC news site, there is not restriction for this.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc101 View Post
    Why not just use a bucket of water? according to the article on the BBC news site, there is not restriction for this.
    Have to keep in with the spirit of the "HosePipe" Ban.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc101 View Post
    I use a bucket of water anyway, it gets the water where I want it rather than all over the garden. I only ever use the hose sparingly to rinse off the suds when I'm done. If the hosepipe ban goes ahead I'll just have to use another bucket of water, which ironically probably means I'll use more water than I would with the hose.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad Rx Rider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to keep in with the spirit of the "HosePipe" Ban.
    sounds naughty

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need for a lot of water to keep a road bike clean. I brush off any loose dirt and wipe down the whole bike. No hose. No bucket.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rarely/ever "wash" my bike. Occasionally wipe it down with a rag and maybe a spray cleaner. Water is the enemy of a (road) bike. Now, the mountain bike will get sprayed down but I watch where I spray. The dirt bike?....... Power washer all the way and lots of it

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bike washing is overrated. Keep the drivetrain clean and the rest does not matter. The dirt helps to protect the paint anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta agree with woodway. Nothing needs to be touched on road bike but the chain....occasionally. The only thing I regularly touch on the bike is the presta valve, well, and the bars . First cleaning of the bike was yesterday. The bike is about a year old. I sprayed some light cleaner on a rag(not the bike) and wiped it down. The rag was almost clean when I got done . The bike has over 1,000 miles on it.

2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put the bike in the tub. You do keep the bike inside, dont you??
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    Put the bike in the tub. You do keep the bike inside, dont you??
    Works for me.

My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a problem down here in the South East of England and it is water---We don't have any.

Last couple of years have been lacking in the "Wet fally down" stuff and this has led to the resoirvoirs being around 50% empty. Could have said full but not the way I am feeling right now.

By the end of the month we will have a hosepipe ban- so that will mean the end of our drought- but until the water companies are happy we will not be able to wash our cars- fill our Swimming pools- Water the gardens with a hosepipe and several other things

Car washing doesn't bother me but I now have about two weeks to De-Winter the pool and fill it up- Get in another 6 or so water butts for the garden- lay in plenty of Pledge for the polishing of the bike and the Whiskey is going to be neat from now on.
    The wiskey should always be neat.

On a serious note, hope you get some replenishing rain soon. As others have suggested, a wipe down after each ride and you may not need to wash it all the often.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White bikes really show the dirt so, about every two weeks, I have been using a wet rag to wipe the bike down. I put Mcquires Quick Detailer on the bike on the day I got it and the dirt and grease doesn't stick to it. I used the Quick Detailer about once a month on the Defy and it cleaned up great with just a wet rag.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "White bikes really do show".....................

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road bikes are not too bad although last sundays ride did throw up a lot of Mud Spray onto the rear end of the bike.

My problem is with regard to the MTB's.

And this was after we had washed it down to lighten the bike.

And if you want to see what we normally experience in the winter---
    Last edited by stapfam; 03-13-12 at 01:29 PM.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stamfam: Funny when I first read this I went like others... just wipe it down with a rag and a bucket of water. Than after I thought a bit I remembered your ride MTBs too and they are not so easy after a good fun day in the mud and muck. Since I thought about it why not buy one of those hand pump weed sprayers and fill it with detergent and work with that? Not the most powerful sprays but will sure cut down on the amount of elbow grease required.

fasthair

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely a different matter with mountain bikes, especially riding in muck like that! But I have cleaned mud caked mountain bikes without a hose. It takes longer, but it can be done. Sometimes I let the bike dry for a couple of days so the bulk of the mud will crumble and come off with brushing and dry wiping. Then I can finish it off with a damp cloth and some cleaning spray like 409. Like I said, it takes longer, often much longer.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

England is becoming like California? Swimming pools and no water that is a very californian problem! Although we don't empty pools in the winter!

Always never enough water and it is expensive over here--although today it is raining, but we have had a very dry and mild winter!

Water and bicycles don't go well together--dry cleaning is safer!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just leave the mtn bike muddy. Won't hurt a thing. It's only gonna get muddy the next time you take it out. But one has to ask. If the terrain is muddy, how can the water level be that low? And hopefully you don't have politicians that will show up in a drought and force the dam operators of a certain watershed to release water for a photo op on a river...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought of a new use for the Pool- but the wife doesn't like oil on the water

On the long enduros I use a 5 litre hand spray to get the muck out of the gears but on the frame it is just wipe it off with the hands. Luckily-I am in the Truck trade and manage to get some heavy duty truck wash that does dissolve muck off the trucks. Mix at about 10% and spray the bike and Hose off--Or watering can this summer- and the mud has gone. Then spray with water dispersion oil and leave for a day or so and then wipe down. Works all the time but Bearings have to be greased often and plenty of Chain oil used as the bike will be Oil free.

But even on the road bikes- Dirt and muck gets into places that cannot be cleaned with a cloth. Once a month I do wash the road bikes down to clean them and then it is polish time. People wonder why I do not like white bikes and the stupid thing is I have two of them. Perhaps it is the cleaning of them that I do not like.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And just realised something about our Road ride last Sunday. Had a week without much rain but the backroads were very wet and lots of deep puddles. The Marshes were somewhere near full and the fields are giving a lot of run off. The resoirvoirs may be low but the amount of water in the fields and on the roads is high.

And the Offroad Running 1/2 marathon over the South downs had the slowest time for several years due to the amount of Mud on the course.

We don't have a water shortage---- it is just in the wrong place.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
    Just leave the mtn bike muddy. Won't hurt a thing. It's only gonna get muddy the next time you take it out.
    Exactly. Clean the drivetrain, the rest does not matter.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Exactly. Clean the drivetrain, the rest does not matter.
    err.
    These bikes had to be dunked in a Cattle trough before we could ride them home.

DSC00100.jpg DSC00099.jpg

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    err.
    These bikes had to be dunked in a Cattle trough before we could ride them home.
    The wheels are part of the drivetrain!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast