Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

No more bike washing

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

No more bike washing

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 04:09 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No more bike washing

We have a problem down here in the South East of England and it is water---We don't have any.

Last couple of years have been lacking in the "Wet fally down" stuff and this has led to the resoirvoirs being around 50% empty. Could have said full but not the way I am feeling right now.

By the end of the month we will have a hosepipe ban- so that will mean the end of our drought- but until the water companies are happy we will not be able to wash our cars- fill our Swimming pools- Water the gardens with a hosepipe and several other things

Car washing doesn't bother me but I now have about two weeks to De-Winter the pool and fill it up- Get in another 6 or so water butts for the garden- lay in plenty of Pledge for the polishing of the bike and the Whiskey is going to be neat from now on.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-12-12, 04:13 PM
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
By the end of the month we will have a hosepipe ban- so that will mean the end of our drought- but until the water companies are happy we will not be able to fill our Swimming pools.
Times like that lead to the wild skateboard tricks that they can do now and really paved the way for most extreme sports.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-12-12, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Why not just use a bucket of water? according to the article on the BBC news site, there is not restriction for this.
Old 03-12-12, 04:29 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Why not just use a bucket of water? according to the article on the BBC news site, there is not restriction for this.
Have to keep in with the spirit of the "HosePipe" Ban.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-12-12, 04:31 PM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimc101
I use a bucket of water anyway, it gets the water where I want it rather than all over the garden. I only ever use the hose sparingly to rinse off the suds when I'm done. If the hosepipe ban goes ahead I'll just have to use another bucket of water, which ironically probably means I'll use more water than I would with the hose.
Old 03-12-12, 04:33 PM
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have to keep in with the spirit of the "HosePipe" Ban.
sounds naughty
Old 03-13-12, 04:05 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
No need for a lot of water to keep a road bike clean. I brush off any loose dirt and wipe down the whole bike. No hose. No bucket.
Old 03-13-12, 07:37 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rarely/ever "wash" my bike. Occasionally wipe it down with a rag and maybe a spray cleaner. Water is the enemy of a (road) bike. Now, the mountain bike will get sprayed down but I watch where I spray. The dirt bike?....... Power washer all the way and lots of it
Old 03-13-12, 08:00 AM
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Bike washing is overrated. Keep the drivetrain clean and the rest does not matter. The dirt helps to protect the paint anyway.
Old 03-13-12, 08:04 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gotta agree with woodway. Nothing needs to be touched on road bike but the chain....occasionally. The only thing I regularly touch on the bike is the presta valve, well, and the bars . First cleaning of the bike was yesterday. The bike is about a year old. I sprayed some light cleaner on a rag(not the bike) and wiped it down. The rag was almost clean when I got done . The bike has over 1,000 miles on it.
Old 03-13-12, 08:47 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Put the bike in the tub. You do keep the bike inside, dont you??
Old 03-13-12, 10:05 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Put the bike in the tub. You do keep the bike inside, dont you??
Works for me.

Old 03-13-12, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
We have a problem down here in the South East of England and it is water---We don't have any.

Last couple of years have been lacking in the "Wet fally down" stuff and this has led to the resoirvoirs being around 50% empty. Could have said full but not the way I am feeling right now.

By the end of the month we will have a hosepipe ban- so that will mean the end of our drought- but until the water companies are happy we will not be able to wash our cars- fill our Swimming pools- Water the gardens with a hosepipe and several other things

Car washing doesn't bother me but I now have about two weeks to De-Winter the pool and fill it up- Get in another 6 or so water butts for the garden- lay in plenty of Pledge for the polishing of the bike and the Whiskey is going to be neat from now on.
The wiskey should always be neat.

On a serious note, hope you get some replenishing rain soon. As others have suggested, a wipe down after each ride and you may not need to wash it all the often.
Old 03-13-12, 11:59 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
White bikes really show the dirt so, about every two weeks, I have been using a wet rag to wipe the bike down. I put Mcquires Quick Detailer on the bike on the day I got it and the dirt and grease doesn't stick to it. I used the Quick Detailer about once a month on the Defy and it cleaned up great with just a wet rag.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-13-12, 12:06 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"White bikes really do show".....................
Old 03-13-12, 12:23 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Road bikes are not too bad although last sundays ride did throw up a lot of Mud Spray onto the rear end of the bike.

My problem is with regard to the MTB's.

And this was after we had washed it down to lighten the bike.

And if you want to see what we normally experience in the winter---

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 03-13-12 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-13-12, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
stamfam: Funny when I first read this I went like others... just wipe it down with a rag and a bucket of water. Than after I thought a bit I remembered your ride MTBs too and they are not so easy after a good fun day in the mud and muck. Since I thought about it why not buy one of those hand pump weed sprayers and fill it with detergent and work with that? Not the most powerful sprays but will sure cut down on the amount of elbow grease required.

fasthair
Old 03-13-12, 01:24 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Definitely a different matter with mountain bikes, especially riding in muck like that! But I have cleaned mud caked mountain bikes without a hose. It takes longer, but it can be done. Sometimes I let the bike dry for a couple of days so the bulk of the mud will crumble and come off with brushing and dry wiping. Then I can finish it off with a damp cloth and some cleaning spray like 409. Like I said, it takes longer, often much longer.
Old 03-13-12, 01:43 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

England is becoming like California? Swimming pools and no water that is a very californian problem! Although we don't empty pools in the winter!

Always never enough water and it is expensive over here--although today it is raining, but we have had a very dry and mild winter!

Water and bicycles don't go well together--dry cleaning is safer!
Old 03-13-12, 02:16 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just leave the mtn bike muddy. Won't hurt a thing. It's only gonna get muddy the next time you take it out. But one has to ask. If the terrain is muddy, how can the water level be that low? And hopefully you don't have politicians that will show up in a drought and force the dam operators of a certain watershed to release water for a photo op on a river...
Old 03-13-12, 02:18 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just thought of a new use for the Pool- but the wife doesn't like oil on the water

On the long enduros I use a 5 litre hand spray to get the muck out of the gears but on the frame it is just wipe it off with the hands. Luckily-I am in the Truck trade and manage to get some heavy duty truck wash that does dissolve muck off the trucks. Mix at about 10% and spray the bike and Hose off--Or watering can this summer- and the mud has gone. Then spray with water dispersion oil and leave for a day or so and then wipe down. Works all the time but Bearings have to be greased often and plenty of Chain oil used as the bike will be Oil free.

But even on the road bikes- Dirt and muck gets into places that cannot be cleaned with a cloth. Once a month I do wash the road bikes down to clean them and then it is polish time. People wonder why I do not like white bikes and the stupid thing is I have two of them. Perhaps it is the cleaning of them that I do not like.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-13-12, 04:10 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
And just realised something about our Road ride last Sunday. Had a week without much rain but the backroads were very wet and lots of deep puddles. The Marshes were somewhere near full and the fields are giving a lot of run off. The resoirvoirs may be low but the amount of water in the fields and on the roads is high.

And the Offroad Running 1/2 marathon over the South downs had the slowest time for several years due to the amount of Mud on the course.

We don't have a water shortage---- it is just in the wrong place.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-13-12, 09:32 PM
Squeaky Wheel

Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
Just leave the mtn bike muddy. Won't hurt a thing. It's only gonna get muddy the next time you take it out.
Exactly. Clean the drivetrain, the rest does not matter.
Old 03-14-12, 09:40 AM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by woodway
Exactly. Clean the drivetrain, the rest does not matter.
err.
These bikes had to be dunked in a Cattle trough before we could ride them home.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00100.jpg (103.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00099.jpg (100.7 KB, 13 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 03-14-12, 01:58 PM
Squeaky Wheel

err.
These bikes had to be dunked in a Cattle trough before we could ride them home.
The wheels are part of the drivetrain!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.