Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

(*%^$) fairy visited---Twice.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 06:58 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Out on a ride this morning and it was on the Pinnie. Had to call into a Plant Nursery to sort things and rode the bike across a Rough track. Sorted the jobs and went to start and the (*%^$) fairy had visited the rear tyre. OK---Spare tube and on our way again. 1/2 mile later and the front tyre got visited this time.

Now I know I have enough experience to carry spares and a puncture repair kit but the wedge I have on this bike is just big enough for a tube and 2 levers so I had put a few of the "NON GLUE" patches in the wedge. They don't work so it was phone call time.

The tyres on this bike are the OM Pinarello ones and on taking the tyre off the rim- I noticed how thin they are. They still have the patterning on them so there is no way they are worn. The flint fell out of the tyre as I touched it and it was minute--But big enough to go through the tyre and cause a problem.

So back home and I have just sorted the Handbuilt wheels to go on it. The tyres on these wheels are some badly cut up Michelin PR2's and are up for replacement. Looked through my stock of Old tyres and these have come off bikes because they are getting thin. They have more meat on them than The OM Tyres supplied on the Pinnie.

So up for 4 more tyres--AGAIN. 2 to replace the OMs on the Pinnie and two to replace the ones on the handbuilts that really do need replacing. And a bigger wedge that will take a puncture repair kit aswell as two tubes.

So a pic on the ride this morning before the (*%^$) Fairy visited me- Or it may have been while as this was taken in the yard at the nursery

Spike Milligan
Old 03-18-12, 07:16 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
They're probably really high end tires.

There's a thread in the mechanics section about factors that contribute to tire performance. My opinion is the caseing makes the most difference. A thin supple caseing does everything better except for cut and puncture resistance. It seems to me that for your use you need cheaper tires.
Old 03-19-12, 04:42 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Tonight I took off the OM tyres and they are light. Steel bead and only 240 grammes so you can guess how much rubber is on them. They me be light- may roll well but there was always something about those tyres that I did not like- Possible the thin casing allowed to tyres to move about a bit or it was just me.

Short ride tonight on My handbuilt wheels with Michelin PR 2's fitted. What a difference. I know I am used to the PR's and I like the way they ride but the bike has just been made better.

Wonder if I can chance going to "White" tyres on this bike?

And Retro--I do like Michelin tyres and to save cost- I bought some Lithions for the TCR. The "RUBBER" has a plasticky feel to it. In the wet they ought to call them "Lethalions" as grip is not there. Think I'll stay with a tyre I know and trust.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 03-19-12 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-19-12, 04:52 PM

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You look like you have a good fit on the bike, but you need to update your avatar since you've grown the beard (looks like an older photo too...)
Old 03-19-12, 04:57 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Just part of bike riding.
2091 miles this year with 2 flats. New Tire on the (yellow bike) with less than 1,000 miles.

Got in a Windy 12.5 day ride on Red today.
I got these 2 tires from a bike shop dumpster as well as the tubes that were inside the tires.

130 miles so far, nice tires, Specialized Pro II 700 X 20's
Going back out now in the 29 mph winds.

Using a back pack with camera, 4 CO2 cartrigdes,, 2 tubes, and a mini pump.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 03-19-12 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-19-12, 05:24 PM
Beast Rider

Bikes: Trek Transport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ALWAYS carry a repair kit with me. I don't like pushing or carrying my bike home. NEVER EVER leave home without one.....
Old 03-19-12, 06:29 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
A larger wedge or seat bag will be just the ticket. I keep two tubes, a boot kit, (i made on up), a patch kit, co2 tire lever/multi tool in the bag. I also carry a Road Morph Pump. I need to be prepared as I go through the desert wilderness where there is no cell service on some rides.
Old 03-21-12, 05:23 AM

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I prefer light tires and extra tubes, keeping the wheels lighter greatly improves performance . I'm thinking about some Vittorias for the Fuji Grand Tourer when it gets done . I have many roads that are oil and gravel around me, and some of those rocks get stuck in the tire, but don't go through .
Old 03-21-12, 06:20 AM
Beast Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
I prefer light tires and extra tubes, keeping the wheels lighter greatly improves performance . I'm thinking about some Vittorias for the Fuji Grand Tourer when it gets done . I have many roads that are oil and gravel around me, and some of those rocks get stuck in the tire, but don't go through .
Weight is not an issue with me. I ride a cargo bike as a commuter, everyday, and errand runner. I am out everyday in all sorts of weather. It's NOT a lot of fun getting a flat with a load on board. I run thick kevlar tires, Mr. Tuffy liners, and puncture resistant tubes. Better to err on the side of caution than to be stuck someplace without it.
Old 03-21-12, 06:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BeastRider
I run thick kevlar tires, Mr. Tuffy liners, and puncture resistant tubes. Better to err on the side of caution than to be stuck someplace without it.
I don't use any of that stuff and I've never been stuck anywhere in decades of riding.
Old 03-21-12, 06:52 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I carry a spare tube and two CO2 cartridges but with nearly 4,400 (between both road bikes), have never had to use them. I'm hoping that these Gatorskins that I have on the Colnago will be as good as the OEM Kenda tires I had on the Defy.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-21-12, 07:12 AM
Beast Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmccain
I don't use any of that stuff and I've never been stuck anywhere in decades of riding.
I would bet that you're not riding a cargo bike on a daily basis.....or just ride on weekends when the weather is good.....
Old 03-21-12, 07:18 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Pick a road bike tire manufacturer.

If you carefully examine their offerings you'll probably find they produce tires with verious levels of puncture resistance. The highest performance tires ride better, have lower rolling resistance, hold the road better but fare poorly in cut and puncture resistance. The most puncture resistant tires are the opposite - they ride like cart wheels.

The good news is, once you realize you can't cut the pie into all big slices, you get to pick the degree of performance that most closely matches your riding style. Too many punctures, buy something that doesn't roll quite so nicely next time. Zero punctures, I'd probably take a chance on something a little more high performance.
Old 03-21-12, 09:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BeastRider
I would bet that you're not riding a cargo bike on a daily basis.....or just ride on weekends when the weather is good.....
LOL - you'd break even!