Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could learn to hate St. Patrick's Day in the US - long

I teach in a graduate program in the heart of Philadelphia. Three of my classes are on Saturdays. Yesterday, between classes I took the elevator to the lobby so I could get outside for a few minutes and enjoy the spring weather. As the elevator door opens I see the security guard right outside the front door surrounded by a group of drunk students from two other universities right up the street. They are all wearing green t-shirts from an Irish bar about four blocks down the street from the first of these two universities. I head out the door to see what's going on. Turns out the security guard caught two of these students in the parking lot (which is private) urinating on cars. Doing his job, he saw them on the security cameras and went out to chase them away. Several friends of these two were waiting for them, and get involved in a situation that is about to get ugly. They start pushing the guard and telling him to get the "f" out of their faces. I notice that one of the students has a Campagnolo tattoo on his forearm. I turn to him as ask if he thinks it would cool if his friends took a leak on his bike. He stops dead in his tracks and says, Hell, no, I'd kick their a$$es. I say, well some people feel the same way about their cars. What your friends did was thoughtless and stupid. He nods his heads and helps me break up the crowd and they head on back to their respective campus. It seems more and more, that this "holiday" is simply an excuse to be stuipd for a day. The security guard wants to know how I knew about the tattoo. I just smiled and said, every cyclist would recognize that tattoo. He says, maybe I should start riding a bike to work. I'm thinking, good idea, except on St. Patrick's day.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job on your part. On St. Pat's I always remember Jimmy Breslin saying it was the one day of the year he didn't go out drinking because it was the day all the amateurs came out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Halloween is just as bad, nothing like a drunk in a mask.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    People need to read the bio of St. Patrick. I've never met an Irishman who knew it. It an amazing story. Nothing related to alkyhol.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's National Get Drunk and Stupid Day here too.

I live a short distance from where the parade starts. The parking lot next door began filling up with people nearly two hours before the start. Some arrived drunk, others busted out and tailgated before the parade.

I waited until the parade began before going out to do my weekly errands. I made it back before the parade finished. The afternoon was comparable, traffic-wise, to Friday rush-hour before a holiday weekend. Only folks were staggering towards their cars before getting in a driving away.

I cancelled my afternoon pleasure ride, despite the sunshine and 70°F temps, more typical of May around here than March.

Ah, well. Club ride this afternoon. Thirty-one miles, small hills, and a 30 mile round-trip to and from the start.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An excellent rant / point. It fell on a Saturday this year, so naturally, many in the Boston area "Called in sick" on Friday.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mixed feelings here. While peeing on cars, harassing cops and driving drunk are too far out of line, I have always believed in the importance of allowing people a chance to step outside the boundaries of society from time to time.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I play Scottish highland bagpipes, St.P day has always been a nice income supplement. PIA often though. Still got a ride in the morning in.

Nice catch on the Campy tattoo!

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went to an annual St. Patty's Day party where the hostess serves ham & cabbage and "Irish potatoes." While I did have a Stella, followed by a Patron and coffee, the partying was moderate and it was a nice way to get together and visit with friends. St. Patrick's Day doesn't have to be all about getting sloshed, one just needs to know where to celebrate and who to avoid.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmccain View Post
    Since I play Scottish highland bagpipes, St.P day has always been a nice income supplement. PIA often though. Still got a ride in the morning in.

Nice catch on the Campy tattoo!

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    ............ one just needs to know where to celebrate and who to avoid.
    So true. After our 27 mi. ride, Vicki and I met my son and daughter-in-law at one of our local hangouts called Corleone's. The weather was so nice we sat out on the deck having beers and barbecue and talking about all kinds of stuff. It was a great end to a nice ride. And with 1,000 or so calories burned those four beers "didn't count."

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I get older I've started thinking that high school and college students should have their freedom of speech and drink suspended for this type of stupidity. I've seen so much of this type of stupidity. People don't appreciate the value of such freedom. Then I see incredible maturity from the same crowd and know that everyone just needs some time.

Good call on the Campy tatoo, bike people are usually very reasonable.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    It's National Get Drunk and Stupid Day here too.

I live a short distance from where the parade starts. The parking lot next door began filling up with people nearly two hours before the start. Some arrived drunk, others busted out and tailgated before the parade.

I waited until the parade began before going out to do my weekly errands. I made it back before the parade finished. The afternoon was comparable, traffic-wise, to Friday rush-hour before a holiday weekend. Only folks were staggering towards their cars before getting in a driving away.

I cancelled my afternoon pleasure ride, despite the sunshine and 70°F temps, more typical of May around here than March.

Ah, well. Club ride this afternoon. Thirty-one miles, small hills, and a 30 mile round-trip to and from the start.
    You want to go out and get drunk and act stupid, go out, get drunk and act stupid, I don't care, but if you get behind the wheel of a car drunk then whether you act stupid or not, I have a big problem with it. I have long thought and still do think that driving drunk should mean you kiss your license goodbye. Driving drunk and getting into a collision with people injured, you should be charged with attempted murder, and killing someone should be premeditated murder. Nobody forces anyone to get drunk and nobody forces a drunk person to drive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOS88,
    A big attaboy for the catch on the Campy tat and for stepping in and helping to diffuse the situation. Blessed are the peacemakers!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Canard View Post
    NOS88,
    A big attaboy for the catch on the Campy tat and for stepping in and helping to diffuse the situation. Blessed are the peacemakers!
    +1. Too many people cause similar problems over here just to have their "Fun" and it has got to the stage where you don't interrupt them as it can be dangerous for you. I am of the opinion that if someone causes me a problem I will tell them--If they cause others problems- I will tell them. Pointless going to the Police over here as People have rights- and I don't if I try to stop them.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
    You want to go out and get drunk and act stupid, go out, get drunk and act stupid, I don't care, but if you get behind the wheel of a car drunk then whether you act stupid or not, I have a big problem with it. I have long thought and still do think that driving drunk should mean you kiss your license goodbye. Driving drunk and getting into a collision with people injured, you should be charged with attempted murder, and killing someone should be premeditated murder. Nobody forces anyone to get drunk and nobody forces a drunk person to drive.
    +1. ZERO tolerance.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There seem to be many people these days who, even sober, show little restraint in their behavior. A typical example that may be familiar is road rage that I've seen and which itself can be deadly. Increasingly common is the individual who goes off the deep end in a shooting spree and the most recent example, though there are many others, is the soldier in Afghanistan who murdered several dozen local citizens. One would hope that that our leadership would be an example of thoughtful and measured discourse and response that people at large could look to as the standard of behavior. I confess to being a certified, card carrying old guy but with each passing year the lessons that have already been learned by society are glaringly forgotten and the price is paid by all. I'm embarrassed by the crop of candidates that parade themselves before the nation and the world and who would be world leaders but can't keep a civil tongue in their head.

On a happy note, my bike club had it's Spring Opener today. Rides are actually scheduled throughout winter months, but due to a poor snow year in which I did little skiing, I've been on the bike for quite a few miles already. So far rides have not been long; more at the physical fitness maintenance level than hammering. But today, perhaps due to psychological reasons as well as the Vernal Equinox, is the day that the 2012 season begins. This is a good sized club so that there were probably 150 club members and friends at the start. This means that for a while anyway, I found myself in the middle of a peloton drafting and soft peddling at 18, and 20, and for a few minutes, 23 mph. The primitive part portion of my brain takes over and concludes that this is how the entire ride will go. It's the same every time. I get sucked into riding faster than I'm able to ride. I rode 32 miles which is actually less than my longest ride on my own this year. I feel as if I've been trod on by an entire Roman legion, including attached cavalry, but what a wonderful, warm, blue bird day shared with like-minded people.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Mixed feelings here. While peeing on cars, harassing cops and driving drunk are too far out of line, I have always believed in the importance of allowing people a chance to step outside the boundaries of society from time to time.
    BD, I get what you're saying. But, what I didn't report fully was that it was six against one until I showed up, and a 200+ lb kid was pushing around 130 lb 70+ year old security guard. That, IMHO is stepping too far out of bounds. Having read your posts for some six years now, I can't believe you wouldn't agree.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh. When I lived in NYC, and it was my day off, I stayed home. Don't like to be around drunks... Glad I didn't have to go anywhere on St. Patty's day yesterday, as I live in a college town.
    What do you call a cyclist who sells potpourri on the road? A pedaling petal-peddler.

Randomhead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
    As I get older I've started thinking that high school and college students should have their freedom of speech and drink suspended for this type of stupidity.
    I think the contrary, we shouldn't have such a strict prohibition against drinking and a lot of our problems would go away. If kids didn't see it as something special we wouldn't have such ridiculous problems when they got to be 21. Around here, drinking is a real problem. Now the students started having 2 celebrations of St. Paddy's day. It started a couple of years ago when St. Patrick's day was during spring break and they continued it because they are a batch of alcoholics.

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear View Post
    Halloween is just as bad, nothing like a drunk in a mask.
    Serves them right when they vomit with the mask on.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    BD, I get what you're saying. But, what I didn't report fully was that it was six against one until I showed up, and a 200+ lb kid was pushing around 130 lb 70+ year old security guard. That, IMHO is stepping too far out of bounds. Having read your posts for some six years now, I can't believe you wouldn't agree.
    Absolutely agree that this situation was too far over the line. I was not defending what they were doing.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The point that is missed in discussions like this is that St Patrick's Day and others of its ilk are heavily promoted to make huge, even obscene, amounts of money for corporations that produce and sell alcohol. It is now at a point where people cannot see themselves doing anything unless there is alcohol in their hand. Sporting events, social celebrations, concerts... you name it, there's likely a beer or alcohol company involved as a sponsor or supplier.

We went to a dinner-concert for three tenors and a brilliant soprano on Saturday night. I think we were the only ones out of 200 who didn't drink any alcohol during the evening. A lot of the alcohol was supplied by a local winery.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    I think the contrary, we shouldn't have such a strict prohibition against drinking and a lot of our problems would go away. If kids didn't see it as something special we wouldn't have such ridiculous problems when they got to be 21. Around here, drinking is a real problem. Now the students started having 2 celebrations of St. Paddy's day. It started a couple of years ago when St. Patrick's day was during spring break and they continued it because they are a batch of alcoholics.
    Coming from across the water it always amazes me that you guys in the US will let someone have a *** at 18, put them in charge of two tons of motor vehicle at 17, send them out to die for their country at 18, but still not let them have a single beer until they are 21.

I agree entirely that for as long as it's some kind of "forbidden fruit" kids are going to want it. I remember as a teenager being allowed measured amounts of alcohol if my parents were drinking - I might have half an inch of beer in the bottom of a glass to taste it, increasing as I got older - so I knew what it was and what it tasted like, and that it needed to be respected to some degree.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by contango View Post
    Coming from across the water…
    Yes, but on the other side, as bad as things are, we haven't yet needed the ASBO.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast