Gravel for Breakfast
    My Bikes
    Jake
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please recommend a bike for my heavier 50+ lady friend

My lady friend hasn't ridden a bike since she crashed her last one as a teenager (so there is a fear issue in play). She is 50 +, and around 180 lbs. Thanks to my influence, she is hesitantly interested in getting into cycling. The important things for her are comfort and security, at least to start with. She would need something suitable for her heavier size. Also something "cute" would be good. I don't think we want to spend more than a grand. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Sin after sin I have endured, but the wounds I bear are the wounds of love.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not being familiar with women's bikes, I don't think I can offer any suggestions, other than to say you might also post a query in the Clydesdale/Athena forum.
    Craig in Indy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who will she want to ride with and what kind of bikes do they ride? If everyone is on road bikes then getting a cruiser would be frustrating for her. How tall is she? Is she flexible? What kind of rides will she want to work up to?
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    180 isn't heavy enough to stress any well made bike. I ride a Bianchi road bike and was edging up close to 300 pounds at one point.

Biggest issue is her concern and fear of doing something she hasn't done in decades. I would expect dropped bars would give her the willies if it's been that long. I'd say a hybrid/comfort bike or an older non-suspended mountain bike would be a good choice. She may be more comfortable on something that has a dropped top tube to make getting on an off the bike easier for her. I personally see little need for such a design, but some people do prefer them.

Definitely need more info on what she likes and what she is capable of to really make a good recommendation.
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like she may want to start with something like an Electra Townie 3i or 8i.
    --> http://www.electrabike.com/Bikes/tow...i-bikes-ladies
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go hybrid, and then, the biggest challenge, will be a seat she can ride for more than 15 minutes. Is she a tall or small 180?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree that 180 will not stress any of the bikes around---EXCEPT-- Look at the wheels for strength.

Choice of bike is down to her so take her to your LBS and see what she fancies. Problem on that first bike is will she stick to cycling. Buy good? or buy cheap? Style of bike will not be a problem providing she rides it. Competence and confidence may take a while to acquire and that is when you will know if she is coming into cycling. Any chance of "Borrowing" a bike for a few rides to see if she really wants one?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Sounds like she may want to start with something like an Electra Townie 3i or 8i.
    A crank forward design like this does seem like it would be great for someone who needs to build up confidence on a bike. Since you're able to quickly put both feet down without getting out of the saddle, much of the worry about falling is removed. I know there are several different bikes of this same type available from various makes.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Electra Townie.

Much to the dismay of my family, I rode my wife's Townie up to meet them at a restaurant today. By golly, they're cute. Get the powder blue one.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concur with those who say 180 lbs shouldn't be a problems for any reputable bike. Find a good bike shop* that will let her test a few different kinds of bikes. She'll have a better idea of what's available, and be able to make a choice that she thinks might be suitable. I think you can get a very decent starter bike for well under $1000, but be prepared to upgrade if she catches the cycling fever.

*How do you tell if it's a good bike shop? Well, that can get complicated, but I would recommend looking for the place that seems willing to take the time to LISTEN first and recommend second. Keep in mind that spring is a very busy season for most shops and time is in short supply. So, consider going during off peak hours (i.e., during week days and the hours when most folks are at work.) Good luck. I hope she does catch the cycling fever, it's a great way to stay in shape and have a blast while doing so.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greenspeed Anura. It's a tricycle with a seat like a lawn chair so the comfort and security issues are settled. It's also cute - it's named after a frog for crying out loud. It's also going to blow the hell out of her budget.

recumbent bike advocate Tractortom's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the thought of a trike, but I would recommend a Terra Trike Rover. 14" tall seat height makes it easy to get in and out of, steel frame makes it tough, internally geared rear wheel with no front derailleur makes it simple, and being a trike makes it fun. About $900 brand new from the dealer is a good price, and anyone can ride it and enjoy the ride.

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tractortom View Post
    I second the thought of a trike, but I would recommend a Terra Trike Rover. 14" tall seat height makes it easy to get in and out of, steel frame makes it tough, internally geared rear wheel with no front derailleur makes it simple, and being a trike makes it fun. About $900 brand new from the dealer is a good price, and anyone can ride it and enjoy the ride.
    I'm changing my vote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if she's hesitant, I'd stay away from Target, Walmart etc. and take her to your local bike shop. They should be able to point her in the right direction in terms of what style bike she'll feel most comfortable on and size her up for something that will be enjoyable to ride.

I just in back into cycling after a 45 year break and picked up a leftover 2011 Raleigh Venture 3.0 Comfort bike for WELL under your budget. You might eve consider a decent used or leftover bike from your LBS as well.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electra Townie vote. I know several people who were intimidated by riding that got one of these and really enjoy it.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any bike she likes that fits.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Schwinn Fred-mobile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take her to Key West for the weekend and rent a bike. No, wait, that's what I'm doing week after next!!
    Take her to as friendly a family style bike shop you can find - let her test sit and ride several. I'm thinking hybrid or old style city bike with internal hub would probably draw her interest. But then, I've been wrong before and she might go for the road bike!!
    Before hitting "Enter" or "Send" ask yourself: Is this true? Is this kind? Is this NECESSARY?
    I once had a Colnago/Campy bike built in Italy...then life caught up with me!
    Now I ride a Schwinn Beach cruiser to work!
    RIP: My friend Charles V. Beasley. We laughed until we cried over Opus and "Bloom County" in the '80s. Always remember "Pear pimples for hairy fishnuts?"