Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeese this sucker hurts!

I peeled back the nail on my large toe, left foot Saturday night after I ride. Bled like a stuck pig for a while. I am keeping it clean but no band aide will stick or stay on the toe. Problem for me is I cannot wear my cycling shoes. Even my socks make the toe hurt and pedaling right now isn't in the cards. I'll be so glad when this heals and I can ride again. Three days off is too many for me, I am just getting back into a good rythym after all the layoff.

End Rant, no medical advice sought, just gripe prone right now

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 03-21-12 at 06:22 AM.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch! Don't have any medical advice as all you can do is let it heal on it's own. However, if you have a set of spare or old cleats, you can cut out a piece of plywood or aluminum (the size of a pedal) and attach a cleat to it and clip in to your pedal. That way you can at least ride the bike with one cycling shoe and the injured one in sandals or whatever it is you are using on that foot. It won't be exactly the same as riding with both you cycling shoes, but it will get you on the bike, even if it is a slower ride.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to try and just ignore it today, John. Seems to be a lot better this morning I just had to vent I suppose. I actually thought about cutting the toe box out of my $250.00 Adidas cycling shoes but good sense got back into the steel trap of a mind I have (nothing gets in or out.)

Bill

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

HATE toe pain, the only thing worse is a toothache!

Had an ingrown on my R big toe a few years back, drove me f'n NUTS until I could get it taken care of.

Glad yours is getting better......

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will be glad to know that the pain will go away eventually.

Had this happen to our dog and he was in pain till the toe fell off

Better note-- My daughter did it on holiday once in early September. By the End of the month she was back at the disco dancing to her hearts content. Mind you that was in toeless high heels so see what size shoe the wife takes.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    I peeled back the nail on my large toe, left foot Saturday night after I ride. Bled like a stuck pig for a while. I am keeping it clean but no band aide will stick or stay on the toe. Problem for me is I cannot wear my cycling shoes. Even my socks make the toe hurt and pedaling right now isn't in the cards. I'll be so glad when this heals and I can ride again. Three days off is too many for me, I am just getting back into a good rythym after all the layoff.

End Rant, no medical advice sought, just gripe prone right now

Bill
    Get that injured nail looked at , and treated, by a doctor to avoid a nail fungal infection!! And no I'm not joking one bit!!!!!!

Been there and still fighting the damn fungal infection.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You thought it was a banana?
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch!

Many years ago, I dropped a 23ft. wooden extension ladder on my left big toe. It was at full extension standing straight up as I pulled the rope to release the upper half and let it fly. You can guess the rest. The nail turned black and eventually came off. Great fun in those days.

My inner comedian wants to know...did you call a toe truck?

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    I peeled back the nail on my large toe
    I cringed when I read this. I've done it to fingernails but never a toenail. *shudders*

When I've done it to my finger I have to put a piece of tape or a band-aid over the nail because I will invariably bump it or catch it on everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An issue with my feet partly what got me into cycling. I was walking 4 miles/day, 6 days/week @~4mph for quite a while. At one point, I developed blood blisters on my heel, instep, and on the 2nd toe(right foot). I did see a doc, kept it clean, used antibiotic ointment and eventually, the toenail came off. Every thing is fine now and my health is even better since I started cycling. I will say, walking, new diabetic med, and eating better shed 67lbs off. Cycling+meds+eating better trimmed off an additional 36lbs and improved my overall fitness even more.

@Bill
    Hope the toe improves quickly.

My Bikes
    Specialized Crossroads Elite, Specialized Trcross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yowwch!! Take care of that sucker Bill. It's not worth a pair of cycling shoes, (or more pain), to ride before you're healed.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

My Bikes
    Of course.
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A toenail? Wow. I thought my 3 broken vertebrae were bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ow! That hurts just thinking about it!!

Could be justification for a pair of cycling sandals though...

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, just HTFU. You knew somebody was going to say it!

I'll just add, "better thee than me."

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have trimmed the toe nail back and the podiatrist said to keep it cleaned. Having had broken and compressed vertebrae I'll settle for this. Maybe it will go ahead and fall off so I can go dancing. Never could keep a step to save my life. My wife was laughing too hard to call a TOE truck Lewis, she would call anyone before she tried to pick my 235 # butt up. and I had plenty of bananas in our fruit bowl, thank you very much! Blazing Pedals, you got beat to that by about 34 years. My DI told me to HTFU the first day at PI.

And I did trim back past the split so it lays completely flat. The toe is doing better and seems to be healing nicely, if it does not rain I'm up for a ride this afternoon. Exercises if it rains, including Denver's planks.

Bill

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toleo?
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill, I had the same reaction as Chadrider. It sounds so painful. Keep your chin up and put your best foot forward!

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let the puns begin! I am all better now. Nice hard scab on the quick where the nail was in that spot. We had rain yesterday and it is forecast as T'storms today. I'll see what the weather looks like when I get out of a meeting at 1100 and go from there, if things are even fair I'll ride some, not too much but a blessed ride at least!. Thanks for the well wishes and advice.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 03-23-12 at 06:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After having to numerous to count infected ingrown toenails on both my Great Toenails, I had them premanently removed and just this last fall the second toenail started giving some trouble so I had it premanently removed also. My podiatrist used so Liquid Nitrogen to freeze four spots at the base of the toe, where he then injected lidocaine without epinephrene, then waited a coupleof minutes till my toe was numb. Got a pair of hemostates out worked them under to toenail, loosened it up and removed it. Then he scraped it with a curretteto make sure that he got all of the toenail bed out, then he put some kind of chemical (sorry I used to know what it is called memory is failing me) and put an oitment on the nail bed and a large bandaid along with a light compresion bandaid on it. Told me to stay off it for the remainder of the day, keep it dry, come back and see him in a week, put some of the oinment on every day when I change the bandaid.
    Last edited by Rltot; 03-23-12 at 11:23 AM.
    2011 Specialized Roubaix Comp Ultegra Triple
    2010 Specialized Crosstrial Elite

My Bikes
    Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Motobecane Gran Turismo , KHS Urban X
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I hitched hiked home from school basketball practice I shut my thumb in a Cadillac car door. I started to drill a hole in it but in didn't get it finished until after work. a 1/32 hole to relieve the pressure. If that makes you feel any better? hee Hee

My father was always telling me "it serves you right" when i would get hurt. Then one day, while cutting down a tree, a branch fell out of the tree and smashed his big toe. Hee Hee. Dad "it serves you right"

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The small drill bit and a hot punch both work well when you have the trapped blood under a nail. Just don't use a drill press to make the hole. Know a guy that did this and pushed a bit too hard. Yuck!

The toe is fine, pretty well healed up and I wore sandals all day to keep pressure off the soft new skin. Tomorrow is ride day. no meetings to waste a day with and we go to early mass. Thanks everyone for the sympathy, ideas and neat stories. 50+ is the best family a person could want.

Bill

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode yesterday (Sunday got kiboshed by my B-I-L's 50th birthday, no he won't bicycle, I tried to get him to start riding again) so it was Monday to ride. No pain whatsoever, no re-injury or breaking open of the healed area, just a great ride. Thanks again to everyone for the encouragement.

Bill