User Tag List

My Bikes
    TREK Madone 4.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not Bad this Early

Posted my first 17+mph ride (24mi) last evening. Not bad for an old geezer (62+) Weather has just ben too good. Never done that this early in year. Can't wait to get the 14 lbs off I gained from the holidays!!
    “It’s not whether you win or lose the race, it’s whether you choose to be a spectator or a participant. I choose the latter…..in competition and in life.”

My Bikes
    Old Specialized FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioLance View Post
    Posted my first 17+mph ride (24mi) last evening. Not bad for an old geezer (62+) Weather has just ben too good. Never done that this early in year. Can't wait to get the 14 lbs off I gained from the holidays!!
    That must have been some good food!!!
    Been chatting to a 14 year old girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feels good, doesnt it? You come away with satisfaction that cant be described and only bikers know of.

You've described my ride last night. Due to unseasonably warm and record setting temps I've been on the fogline the past 2wks. Last night was the first ride where I wasnt breathing hard and could hammer the 11mi very hilly course in 45min. Still feels good this morning
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank the weather! Normally, this time of year I consider 16 mph to be 'good;' so 17 mph is excellent! Getting out earlier in the season is helping everyone. I've had a good week so far, too.

On Monday, I did my first evening group ride of the season. We did 28 miles at a 19.3 mph average.

Then, feeling somewhat burned out from Monday's ride, I went to my Tuesday swim class where we had a 'mid term' -- a timed 500-yard swim. I'm not all that good a swimmer, but I beat three of my arch-nemesis-es with a PB time of 8:01. Last year's best, at the end of the semester, was 8:14; so that was a nice drop. Then everyone swam more, and I ended up with 1700 yards (just over a mile.)

Family stuff tonight, so no ride.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your ride

I'm 72+ and don't feel old and don't feel like a "geezer." So, I don't know what that makes you, but you need to think of yourself as "young." It helps with the attitude (and the progress).

Have fun.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weather has been really mild this winter here in New England. I've been able to keep up a regular riding schedule throughout. Despite that I still gained ~15 lb last fall and into the holidays. Been working at getting that off, which for me takes counting calories in addition to riding. Did 25 miles with some hills at 21 mph the other day, one of my best efforts in recent history.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also ahead of last year as far as average speed in March. Actually, WAY AHEAD. Riding time makes so much difference. I must admit that I also attended spin classes through the winter for the first time. Tough way to spend an evening, but the spinning seems to have also helped with the better speeds early in the year.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Lynskey Helix, Wilier Izorad XP, Specialized M2 and a Trek 8500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weather has been unbelievable here, I should have two 120+ mile weeks in a row before the rain comes later.....

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad for an old geezer (62+)::
    It heartens me to be in a forum where a self professed geezer is referred to as a 'Junior Member'

My Bikes
    TREK Madone 4.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow some of those speeds are incredible!! And swimming that distance too. Thanks for all the support & incentive to keep going out there.
    “It’s not whether you win or lose the race, it’s whether you choose to be a spectator or a participant. I choose the latter…..in competition and in life.”

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh. Pretty decent... I wish I could say the same.

Between things going totally crazy at work, the lack of snow (lousy xc-skiing when we did have snow), and having literally zero time to spare it's been a bummer of a winter. I even had one of my bikes on a trainer this winter and I had time to use it a grand total of 4 times.
    Result ? 8 pounds

Got back on the bike last week... and since then I've just been taking it easy, only 10-15 miles (that's all the time I can spare this month) , scaling up the effort each time, 12.5 mph, 13.5mph, 14mph, 14.9mph.

The lack of time on the trainer set me way back.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The past two weeks have been great here. We went out on our first rides of the season and managed to do 212 mi. for the two weeks. Awesome weather.