Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Death Valley cyclists wanders away from camp, dies...

There's probably a lesson here...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA331NO4R8.DTL

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This reminds me of the Elephant Graveyard. He knew he was a goner and wandered off to die in peace.

Or not.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to tell from the article, but sounds like he died from causes unrelated to being in Death Valley or cycling, in which case, there's not much of a lesson to be learned, either.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's lots of dangerous stuff out there. Snakes, scorpions, black widow spiders to name a few.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds as if there was an underlying medical issue that was causing him to have the falls and the off day. You never know when your time is up.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it is a reminder that we all have limited time on this earth. Use it wisely, would be somewhat of an understatement.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
    It's hard to tell from the article, but sounds like he died from causes unrelated to being in Death Valley or cycling, in which case, there's not much of a lesson to be learned, either.
    Have the same feeling. Experienced outdoor people know what they are doing unless---
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Hooked On Quack
    My Bikes
    Orbea, Lemond, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The area where he was found, between the Mesquite Springs campsite and Scotty's Castle Rd., is on the alluvial fan [4-5% gradient] that is pretty much wide open. There is sparse scrub brush [less than 4' high]. The very peculiar part of this is that it took searchers - several Inyo County & CA state organizations - the better part of 8 days to find the body. There was some anecdotal commentary in another thread that suggested that Mr. Kohler had suffered some sort of medical event PRIOR to his bike trip. As for dangerous things in DV, the noted critters are all defensive in nature; they don't attack unless you encroach on their territory. There is no more "danger" in DV than there is on ANY highway/roadway that a cyclist would use.

As for the actual cause of death, autopsy results won't be available until sometime next week.
    YMMV
    -dg
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is
    from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out
    training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.
    -- Sean Kelly

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were lot's of cyclists in DV last week. I was one of them, witnessed some of the search activtities and had heard they were looking for a cyclist that wandered away from camp. According to the article, the guy was experiencing difficulty of some sort in the days before he wandered off. If anything, it suggests to me not to take such symptoms lightly. It'll be interesting to find out what he did succumb to. The killers in DV are exposure/heat and dehydration but it sounds like he probably died from some health issue. I've spent a fair amount of time out in the desert and the last thing I worry about are snakes or scorpions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 200miler View Post
    The area where he was found, between the Mesquite Springs campsite and Scotty's Castle Rd., is on the alluvial fan [4-5% gradient] that is pretty much wide open. There is sparse scrub brush [less than 4' high]. The very peculiar part of this is that it took searchers - several Inyo County & CA state organizations - the better part of 8 days to find the body. There was some anecdotal commentary in another thread that suggested that Mr. Kohler had suffered some sort of medical event PRIOR to his bike trip. As for dangerous things in DV, the noted critters are all defensive in nature; they don't attack unless you encroach on their territory. There is no more "danger" in DV than there is on ANY highway/roadway that a cyclist would use.

As for the actual cause of death, autopsy results won't be available until sometime next week.
    YMMV
    -dg
    Just because you live in that area, don't think saying something like this makes sense on any level.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no more "danger" in DV than there is on ANY highway/roadway that a cyclist would use.

I disagree. Having spent 8 years living in the desert, and realizing that he was completely clueless about his surroundings, just after moonrise, wandering around in the wild, its quite possible that he stumbled into a situation where the local critters thought him to be an attacker requiring a counter-attack.

But as you say. All of this is speculation until the coroner's report comes out. It does sound like he was having health problems.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YMMV
    -dg
    I think if I was going on a long bike ride tomorrow in an area I was unfamiliar with and I fell 3 times today, I would pack it in, especially if I was feeling off. It's not like Death Valley is going anywhere..... The one problem a lot of older men have, especially those over 65, is that they spent a good portion of their lives being invincible. From the article though, I would say, dehydration is a pretty likely culprit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
    ..... The one problem a lot of older men have, especially those over 65, is that they spent a good portion of their lives being invincible. ...
    Yes, I agree. They also spent a good portion of their lives post poning their dreams until their children were raised and self sufficient. He must have been absolutely thrilled to be taking part in the ride.

It seems obvious that he had some sort of issues on the day or days just prior to the trip and he probably should have cancelled and sought medical attention. That being said, I seriously wonder if I would be smart enough to cancel a dream vacation because I didn't feel right.

Who knows, that one day he had might have been all he would have gotten either way. I hope the autopsy gives his family some answers and closure and I pray that they can find the strength to celebrate his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
    That's what I thought, too (warning: I am not a doctor). I had a friend who died under similar circumstances a few years ago on a camping trip. In his early 50s, good shape, an experienced hiker. He felt sort of crappy all afternoon, thought he was getting a cold, and in early evening we walked him a couple of miles back to his car so he could go home. We went back to the campsite, and next morning the ranger found him dead in the parking lot.

Still spinnin'..... Stealthammer's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    This reminds me of the Elephant Graveyard. He knew he was a goner and wandered off to die in peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    Sounds as if there was an underlying medical issue that was causing him to have the falls and the off day. You never know when your time is up.
    Or maybe you do recognize that your time has come and you accept it. I know that this is a hard concept for most people to grasp, but I believe that some of us very willingly accept our mortality with grace.
    Just your average 'high-functioning' lunatic, capable of passing as 'normal' for short periods of time.....

“The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” - Albert Einstein

“We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.” - Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the 318 mile trip, I'm pretty sure this occurred on one of the Adventure Cycling tours of Death Valley. This year they have three, and the third one starts tomorrow, I was considering doing one for a winter trip.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthammer View Post
    Or maybe you do recognize that your time has come and you accept it. I know that this is a hard concept for most people to grasp, but I believe that some of us very willingly accept our mortality with grace.
    I really want a Viking funeral. I'd like to be laid to rest in a small boat laiden with high explosives, towed out to the middle of the Ohio River, and detonated during the Derby Festival fireworks display. That would be so cool.

My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    I really want a Viking funeral. I'd like to be laid to rest in a small boat laiden with high explosives, towed out to the middle of the Ohio River, and detonated during the Derby Festival fireworks display. That would be so cool.
    All in all simply passing while on a great ride with friends in a beautiful place seems ok as long as your buddies don't mind.
    1886 Surrey machinists Invincible, 1900 Nashua, 1937 Raleigh Golden Arrow, 1938 Raleigh Silver Record, 1951 Armstrong tourmalet, 1970 Motobecane Grand Record, 1971 Raleigh Professional, 1971 Gitane TDF, 1972 Legnano Gran Primio, 1973, Peugeot PX-10, 1975 Roberts, 1984 Battaglin Giro, 1985 Grandis Speciale, 2012 FTW

frankthewelder@comcast.net

le prix s'oublie,la qualité reste ,(michel audiard)

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ftwelder View Post
    All in all simply passing while on a great ride with friends in a beautiful place seems ok as long as your buddies don't mind.
    +1000! Beats passing in a hospital or long-term care institution by a parsec or two.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ftwelder View Post
    No problem. One of our friends died on a ride. We all took turns carrying the body. It seemed to work out OK.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year in mid-summer I came upon a cyclist on the bike path who had fallen for an unknown reason. He was being attended by an older couple as he lay on the ground. In a few minutes he stood up but was clearly woobly. The man offered to walk home, just a few minutes away, and get his truck and drive him where he needed to go. This kind offer was refused with an assurance he would be fine. With nothing more they could do, the couple continued on their way. I stayed a few more minutes and walked back with the cyclist a few hundred feet where he seemed much steadier and we both continued our rides.

We all recognize we will one day die but we are convinced it won't be today. Most of the time this assumption is correct.

For my money, having been a witness, the best funeral is a N'Awlins procession with a dixieland band playing a dirge and people doing the funereal/dance, highly stylized, step but we don't do that here in New England.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps it's been mentioned already, but the deceased rider was indeed on an Adventure Cycling Association tour. It was written up on their blog a few days ago. It's currently at the bottom following page, but may move to earlier pages as the blog is added to:

http://blog.adventurecycling.org/sea...&max-results=3

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "its quite possible that he stumbled into a situation where the local critters thought him to be an attacker requiring a counter-attack"

Having been to Death Valley at least a few dozen times in my life, it's difficult to picture any critter able to do lethal harm. There's always a first time, of course, but hikers have never been attacked by coyotes, and it's difficult to imagine a scorpion bringing someone down.

This dovetails nicely with DenverFox's post about trying not to shorten our end-of-life times with potentially dangerous activities. I have no qualms about being in Death Valley (what a great name for a place!). I would have qualms about wandering off somewhere by myself, no matter what my age.
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was having unexplained falls...small strokes? Heart issues?

I'd rather go in a beautiful and serene place like the desert than get ground into some city asphalt but we don't get to choose...

RIP fellow cyclist.
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post

BINGO. Something was going on with him. I'm thinking a slow-leak aneurysm or brain tumor or possibly even something as simple as diabetes. Add in the stress of the heat and ...................bam! He went to take a "leak", got confused, and wandered.
    Last edited by bigbadwullf; 03-28-12 at 09:22 AM.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)