User Tag List

My Bikes
    2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The measure of our addiction:

In a freak ski accident (boot failure!?!) last Friday, I sustained a 'minor' ankle sprain. Doc recommended 10 days off the bike at a minimum and maybe more. I'm half way through my sentence and as of now it feels like it will be more.

I dying for a ride like a junkie wants a fix - even a session on the trainer or spin class would do.

It's going to take some discipline to stay off the bike long enough to give the ankle a chance to heal well enough to avoid a chronic issue. It will almost be a pleasure to regain the lost fitness after this.

How do you guys deal with a forced layoff from riding?

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss being outdoors and worry about fitness loss. Once I'm back on the bike my universe is in balance again.
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber Cyclocross bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike for severe duty
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road racing bike

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put a band-aide on it and get a-riding.
    Rick T
    --------
    daVinci Joint Venture
    Volagi
    Strava Tandem Club

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 days will be nothing--Especially as you will back on it gently after about 7.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Discipline is the key word here. While I might ache to ride again, I know that would be foolish. Fortunately, I have photography, music and a handful of other interests that can keep my from going completely off the deep end. Because you indicated the accident happened when skiing, I wonder if most of even all of you interests are physical in nature. Should that be the case, there may be some value in expanding your interests just a little.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2012 Giant Cypress 21-speed & 1980 Huffy converted 12-speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why there's so much preoccupation with biking addiction.

I'm not addicted!

I'll confess I ride every chance I get, but I can quit any time I want!

Don

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVwriter View Post
    I don't know why there's so much preoccupation with biking addiction.

I'm not addicted!

I'll confess I ride every chance I get, but I can quit any time I want!

Don
    Same here--Did it 5 times last year

Spike Milligan

Man of constant sorrow Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Put a band-aide on it and get a-riding.
    Exactly. Rub some dirt on it and HTFU.

j/k. I know what you mean. I'd much rather be out there cycling than stuck here doing whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing.
    Possunt quia posse videntur. St. Dudel: Epic is stupid that you get away with.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx for the encouragement y'all, although given the hill on which I live, I don't know if there is a way to, "get back on it gently..."

Yes, I have other interests, but the cycling does keep the arthritis in the knees at bay and I've come to crave the endorphins that follow a big effort. My wife is actually excited about getting the canoe out earlier than usual since we can't ski or ride this weekend. Then there's also the gardening, professional work, home improvements, building a chicken coop, (Oh God, when can I get back on the bike?)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieElenbaas View Post
    Thx for the encouragement y'all, although given the hill on which I live, I don't know if there is a way to, "get back on it gently..."

Then there's also the gardening, professional work, home improvements, building a chicken coop, (Oh God, when can I get back on the bike?)
    Sounds like you need to retire--And what chickens?---- Only have a few for eggs and in a small run--No free Range here as I have and still want a garden.

Only pic we have of our chooks when they thought they were changing into ducks--Had a few spells of rain over the winter.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just starting with the hens. Same here - 4 for eggs. It must be difficult to keep health birds in that mire!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just starting with the hens. Same here - 4 for eggs. It must be difficult to keep health birds in that mire!
    This was after some exceptional rain and next morning it was gone and next day the run was completely dry.

And nothing like a fresh egg for dinner- Omelettes- Scrambled- Fried- boiled -poached and for winter after a surplus----Pickled.

But the day that rain came- 2" in 2 hours- I was supposed to ride with some mates. I looked at the weather forecast and the sky and when the mates came round I said that they might get wet and I was staying at home. 30 minutes later- just as they got to the top of the Hills- the skies opened. Sometimes it is wise not to ride.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problems with farm fresh eggs is pealing them for deviled eggs and they spoil you for store bought.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie,
    Last June 12th, I went over my bars and fractured my arm. I didn't ride again until July 17th, and that was cheating doctor's orders. I feel your pain, figuratively speaking. Listen to your doctor and find other stuff to do until you are healed. I did a lot of reading and posting on BF. I know, I know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the doc gave me orders to stay off the bike for a spell, I would have had to ask him "How am I suposed to get home?" He wouldn't be suprised either as he often looks out the window to see which bike I rode to my appointment.

Follow the doctor's orders but don't sweat it too much. I walked off a broken ankle my Junior year in High School (parents refused to spring for an x-ray based on the school nurse's diagnosis) and I hardly limp at all!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 3-4 years ago, when riding a whole lot, I got a Baker's Cyst on one of my knees. I couldn't ride for several weeks. I was so sad that I'd get in my convertible (I know, how sad can you be if you have a convertible...), and started driving some of my regular bike routes. But I was sad. Really.

But that was nothing compared to the two crashes with concussions two springs ago. Be thankful that you've only got a minor setback.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Man of constant sorrow Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Sounds like you need to retire--And what chickens?---- Only have a few for eggs and in a small run--No free Range here as I have and still want a garden.

Only pic we have of our chooks when they thought they were changing into ducks--Had a few spells of rain over the winter.
    Do chickens get trench-claw?

I was just wondering.
    Possunt quia posse videntur. St. Dudel: Epic is stupid that you get away with.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Treat the time off as recovery. If you do a fibonacci training sequence, you need to spend 15 days off the bike each year anyway. Your previous fitness will carry you thru, and you'll be energized mentally to build over the coming year to the next level. When I was racing, I was training so intently that I was happy to be off the bike for a few days. But now, no longer doing "real training," I ride pretty much every day, but at much lower intensity, and with much greater enjoyment, so I can empathize with how you feel about being off the bike. But sometimes your body tells you things, and falling into a natural cycle, or following fate's dictates, sometimes is beneficial in the long run.

Luis

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two days off (like not commuting yesterday and today due to appointments) drives me crazy. 10 days would kill me. I'd have to tape it up or something. Anything under 8-10 hours in a week and I feel fat, lazy, and out of shape.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dying for a ride like a junkie wants a fix - even a session on the trainer or spin class would do.

It's going to take some discipline to stay off the bike long enough to give the ankle a chance to heal well enough to avoid a chronic issue. It will almost be a pleasure to regain the lost fitness after this.

How do you guys deal with a forced layoff from riding?
    I've been there and done that. I had to go cold turkey for almost 30 days when I went flying over my handlebars after colliding with my wife's recumbent trike and injuring my back. I ride daily so I had serious withdrawals by the end of the third day. It wasn't easy, but it was a hell of a rush when I was able to ride again. Seriously, take it easy and let your ankle heal so it doesn't bother you when you start riding again. Since you have a trainer, you may want to consider trying a few miles on it (when you're ready) rather than take the bike out, find out your ankle isn't up to par and have to walk it home or call someone to come and get you.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress