Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spring weather arrives in a blanket of white!

HPIM3002.jpg
    Old man winter kicked the ____ out of Spring yesterday. It snowed all day and if the temps was a few degrees colder, we'd probably have 12 inches instead of the 4-8 inches still on the ground. Oh, this pick was taken at 1pm and by midnight, there was at least 6 inches on the roads.

Pretty remarkable in western Oregon at 100-200 feet in elevation to have measurable snow in March.

With last weeks continued wet weather with cooler temps, it's hard to get any rides in. I just hope this clears by Saturday.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just put all your clothing on- 2 pairs of socks and the ski mask and ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very weird times. Here in the (Ohio) Valley, several of the riders had the audacity to complain about how hot it was yesterday: 86F. Unseasonable, to be sure.

I wonder if it all averages out. Alaska is getting pummeled, from what I understand.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just goes to show a person that you can't depend on the weather.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GFish View Post
    HPIM3002.jpg
    Old man winter kicked the ____ out of Spring yesterday. It snowed all day and if the temps was a few degrees colder, we'd probably have 12 inches instead of the 4-8 inches still on the ground. Oh, this pick was taken at 1pm and by midnight, there was at least 6 inches on the roads.

Pretty remarkable in western Oregon at 100-200 feet in elevation to have measurable snow in March.

With last weeks continued wet weather with cooler temps, it's hard to get any rides in. I just hope this clears by Saturday.
    11" @ my place. Hopefully riding tomorrow.
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HPIM3002.jpg

Keep it, we don't want any. Here they have already graded the gravel roads, and I saw the sweeper out this afternoon reclaiming some of the sand they put down over the winter. I'd rather see the snow plow in hibernation, the out and busy.

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes me wonder about the OSU baseball game today???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
    Keep it, we don't want any. Here they have already graded the gravel roads, and I saw the sweeper out this afternoon reclaiming some of the sand they put down over the winter. I'd rather see the snow plow in hibernation, the out and busy.
    No, the snow belongs further north. Rain, sure, we get plenty of that, but not snow in the valley, at least not now. This snowfall set a new record, very strange weather patterns for sure. Last year Spring was cool and wet, hopefully this year won't repeat itself.

I can understand why people use trainers over the winter months. It's hard to get motivated to ride in poor weather. Plus the roads are trashed with debris.

Today, it's 36F outside with early fog and low clouds with snow still on the ground. Although the roads are clear in some areas, riding conditions aren't great. I'm always amazed when I see cyclist out in this weather, although these people appear to be full time commuters or people living car-free. Definitely a tough group of people, hats off to them.

I know, I know.........just HTFU. But hey, doesn't getting older qualify as an excuse?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting older is a reason for adjustments, but no excuse for anything.

Totally tired of the snow. No riding today, no shoulders since they are still snow-covered or at best really messy. But supposed to hit 60 deg tomorrow, and the Bride and I are planning a ride tomorrow. Gotta get saddle time for her to prep for Monster Cookie next month, her first Century ride (metric).

At least I am not having to mow the grass. But not long till that 3X per week mowing season....
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by david58 View Post
    Gotta get saddle time for her to prep for Monster Cookie next month, her first Century ride (metric).
    Do you like the route?

Starts and finishes in downtown Salem, heads north through Keizer. That's a fair amount of in-town riding, something I don't enjoy. I'm still debating on whether to ride or not. On the plus side (or not), the roads are mostly flat, good for an early season ride.

Hope your right about Saturday, have a good ride.

My Bikes
    2013 Trek Superfly AL 29er hardtail, 2005 LeMond Tourmalet, 2004 Cannondale Road Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2012_032122Mar20120037.jpg
    Here is a picture of our blanket of white along the bike path in Woodridge, Illinois taken 3-21-2012.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the snow belongs further north. Rain, sure, we get plenty of that, but not snow in the valley, at least not now. This snowfall set a new record, very strange weather patterns for sure. Last year Spring was cool and wet, hopefully this year won't repeat itself.

I can understand why people use trainers over the winter months. It's hard to get motivated to ride in poor weather. Plus the roads are trashed with debris.

Today, it's 36F outside with early fog and low clouds with snow still on the ground. Although the roads are clear in some areas, riding conditions aren't great. I'm always amazed when I see cyclist out in this weather, although these people appear to be full time commuters or people living car-free. Definitely a tough group of people, hats off to them.

I know, I know.........just HTFU. But hey, doesn't getting older qualify as an excuse?
    Here today at 13℃/55℉ it's the coldest it's been in a week and a half, day before yesterday it was 25℃/77℉, the normal temperature for this time of year is 5℃/41℉

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you like the route?

Starts and finishes in downtown Salem, heads north through Keizer. That's a fair amount of in-town riding, something I don't enjoy. I'm still debating on whether to ride or not. On the plus side (or not), the roads are mostly flat, good for an early season ride.

Hope your right about Saturday, have a good ride.
    Just a great first ride, though in town isnt our favorite. Caveat: I have not ridden it before. But for a first ride of the year, being close to totally flat is a good thing, town or no. A large group of my coworkers ride it every year, and it gives us a milestone to look forward to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3bluebikes View Post
    2012_032122Mar20120037.jpg
    Here is a picture of our blanket of white along the bike path in Woodridge, Illinois taken 3-21-2012.
    Talk about polar opposites......I prefer your white over ours. Glad to see some people are enjoying spring weather.

Truthfully, temps reached 54F today, the snow is almost gone and roads are clear. Hope to get a few rides in this weekend before the rain comes back.

Enjoy the weather while you can!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope to get a few rides in this weekend before the rain comes back.

Enjoy the weather while you can!!
    I'll gladly ride in the rain! This last week of wind, rain, sleet, slush, and snow was a real corker, tho!

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
    Here today at 13℃/55℉ it's the coldest it's been in a week and a half, day before yesterday it was 25℃/77℉, the normal temperature for this time of year is 5℃/41℉
    It's not only been a warm winter but a very dry one here in Toronto.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snow melted yesterday.
    3rd mowing today.