Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What is Club Tombay?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What is Club Tombay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-12, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is Club Tombay?

Curious minds want to know.

Spud
Old 03-24-12, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
A long long time ago I bought a Peugot PY 10. My first road bike and I also got Duegi shoes and Binda straps. First ride I took I stopped by slowly coming to a standstill up a small hill and then ( very gracefully) fell over since my feet were solidly stuck to the pedals. That was my first (but sadly not last) application to Club Tombay.
Old 03-24-12, 11:32 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
It's the prestigious award to those that fall with their bike, in front of witnesses, when they forget to unclip at a stop. I think most of the 50+ road bike riders are members.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-24-12, 11:38 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It's a 50 + thing in that the mind fails to engage with the feet to unclip from the pedals when coming to a stop. Unless you are very good at track stands the inevitable happens and it is a mixture of "Timber"- "Tomber" (The french verb to fall) and an americanisation in which all like to be in a club (and the more exclusive it happens to be- the better) Timber and Tomber did not sound right so after the Club 18-30- it was called Club Tombay.-----Some exotic sounding area of the Pacific coast.

There are rules for entering Club Tombay and they are very simple. The fall has to be attributable to Brain fade or mechanical failure in which you fail to get the feet out of the pedals and a fall ensues. This can be any type of pedal but platform claims are scrutinised very carefully. Bonus points are added for Blood- personal injury- and bystanders showing concern for your predicament. "EXTRA" bonus points if off duty nurses render assistance or if it is recorded on video.Superficial damage to the bike and person is to be expected but severe damage to the bike can downgrade your claim as the bike should be protected at all times.

Entry is very simple and although many here are members of the Club- A certificate can be forthcoming if a post is made with "Entry to Club Tombay" in the header and a full description of the event is made. This is a new thing and cannot be awarded retrospectively. The decision for entry is then made by the 50+ members.

So this is an exclusive club that will gain you merit points amongst your peers- but do you really want to join?

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 03-24-12 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-24-12, 12:55 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by bjaspud
What is Club Tombay?
It's the reason I don't use clipless pedals.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-24-12, 01:02 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
It's the prestigious award to those that fall with their bike, in front of witnesses, when they forget to unclip at a stop. I think most of the 50+ road bike riders are members.
There should be a Tombay Gold club for people who've been photographed sprawling on the road still clipped in.

Hi Gary!

Last edited by DiabloScott; 03-24-12 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-24-12, 01:19 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You've been around here for 5 years, Spud, and you had to ask?
Old 03-24-12, 01:38 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
You've been around here for 5 years, Spud, and you had to ask?
Check his ID. He may be a whippersnapper and consequently new to 50+.
Old 03-24-12, 01:44 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Hell, he might not even be 50. (*raises suspicion against the other guy, hoping nobody checks my ID*)

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-24-12, 02:13 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
There should be a Tombay Gold club for people who've been photographed sprawling on the road still clipped in.

Hi Gary!
The Gold has to be a Video+ nurses- and a bribe.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-24-12, 02:36 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK - here are my credentials. I will leave it up to the esteemed selection committee to decide if I qualify to join.

1) I am nearly 56.
2) Last year was my first year of riding. I progressed from a hand me down mountian bike that I took for an occasional spin around the neighborhood to a Trek Hybrid that I managed to ride 1000 miles by seasons' end.
3) I bought a trainer to ride indoors this winter.
4) Come spring I took out my new (to me) Trek FX 7.5 (my first nice light bike with skinny high pressure tires)
5) On my third ride of the season (merely 60 miles into the year) and my third time ever riding clipless (man I LOVE the difference they make) I managed to topple over at a stop sign, clipped in, when my front tire 'washed out' when it dropped off a crease in the concrete.
6) Net result = cracked hip

Does that qualify me?

Heck my newbie status to clipless riding and the severity of injury should receive some recognition. Right?

Spud
Old 03-24-12, 02:39 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bjaspud
OK - here are my credentials. I will leave it up to the esteemed selection committee to decide if I qualify to join.

1) I am nearly 56.
2) Last year was my first year of riding. I progressed from a hand me down mountian bike that I took for an occasional spin around the neighborhood to a Trek Hybrid that I managed to ride 1000 miles by seasons' end.
3) I bought a trainer to ride indoors this winter.
4) Come spring I took out my new (to me) Trek FX 7.5 (my first nice light bike with skinny high pressure tires)
5) On my third ride of the season (merely 60 miles into the year) and my third time ever riding clipless (man I LOVE the difference they make) I managed to topple over at a stop sign, clipped in, when my front tire 'washed out' when it dropped off a crease in the concrete.
6) Net result = cracked hip

Does that qualify me?

Heck my newbie status to clipless riding and the severity of injury should receive some recognition. Right?

Spud
Needs separate posting and as soon as possible after the event.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-24-12, 02:46 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts

Hi Gary!
Sadly for the victim, the Club Tombay voluntary membership motivational counselor called a foul on that picture. I'm surprised that copies of it still exist. It was indeed a sad day for the honor of "honest" membership in such a prestigious organization.
Old 03-25-12, 06:48 PM
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
I have never done that

― Bruce Lee
Old 03-25-12, 09:39 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
It's a 50 + thing in that the mind fails to engage with the feet to unclip from the pedals when coming to a stop. Unless you are very good at track stands the inevitable happens and it is a mixture of "Timber"- "Tomber" (The french verb to fall) and an americanisation in which all like to be in a club (and the more exclusive it happens to be- the better) Timber and Tomber did not sound right so after the Club 18-30- it was called Club Tombay.-----Some exotic sounding area of the Pacific coast.

There are rules for entering Club Tombay and they are very simple. The fall has to be attributable to Brain fade or mechanical failure in which you fail to get the feet out of the pedals and a fall ensues. This can be any type of pedal but platform claims are scrutinised very carefully. Bonus points are added for Blood- personal injury- and bystanders showing concern for your predicament. "EXTRA" bonus points if off duty nurses render assistance or if it is recorded on video.Superficial damage to the bike and person is to be expected but severe damage to the bike can downgrade your claim as the bike should be protected at all times.

Entry is very simple and although many here are members of the Club- A certificate can be forthcoming if a post is made with "Entry to Club Tombay" in the header and a full description of the event is made. This is a new thing and cannot be awarded retrospectively. The decision for entry is then made by the 50+ members.

So this is an exclusive club that will gain you merit points amongst your peers- but do you really want to join?
I am not actively seeking membership, but I do need some clarification as a platform pedal user. Is the bolded statement meant to read:

This can be any type of pedal but platform. Claims are scrutinised very carefully.

or...
This can be any type of pedal, but platform claims are scrutinised very carefully.

Do you see how the difference in punctuation may impact a platform user? Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you are saying "platform claims are scrutinized very carefully", should you instead be saying "the mental/physical health of the platform user will be scrutinized very carefully", as it seems that if a platform user cannot get his/her foot off the pedal at a stop, there may be concerns more pressing than a membership into Club Tombay.
Old 03-26-12, 08:21 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
...it seems that if a platform user cannot get his/her foot off the pedal at a stop, there may be concerns more pressing than a membership into Club Tombay.
Reminds me of an old Seinfeld bit where he talked about a particular laundry detergent's advertised claims regarding its effectiveness at removing blood stains. He said if your clothes have blood stains on them to begin with, laundry may not be your biggest problem.
Old 03-26-12, 12:59 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
I am not actively seeking membership, but I do need some clarification as a platform pedal user. Is the bolded statement meant to read:

This can be any type of pedal but platform. Claims are scrutinised very carefully.

or...
This can be any type of pedal, but platform claims are scrutinised very carefully.

Do you see how the difference in punctuation may impact a platform user? Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you are saying "platform claims are scrutinized very carefully", should you instead be saying "the mental/physical health of the platform user will be scrutinized very carefully", as it seems that if a platform user cannot get his/her foot off the pedal at a stop, there may be concerns more pressing than a membership into Club Tombay.
Any Pedal including platforms can qualify providing the pedal caused the fall. Normally you can get a foot off a platform pedal and not fall and this is why platform claims are scrutinised carefully-- The same as any other claim. There can be a situation where a Platform pedal can stop you being able to get your foot down to save a fall. And I have done it so I know it can be done.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-26-12, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by baj32161
i have never done that
b.s.
Old 03-26-12, 04:38 PM

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
b.s.
There's always a first time.

This used to be something that you'd see a lot of when everybody used toe clips.

A friend of mine did that on a brand new bike he brought back from Germany back in the late '60's . He couldn't undo the leather straps because the buckles and straps were too tight and too stiff. Fell right over, both feet still in the clips.
Old 03-26-12, 07:21 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Gary!
Hey, I resemble that handsome fellow!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-26-12, 07:22 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Sadly for the victim, the Club Tombay voluntary membership motivational counselor called a foul on that picture. I'm surprised that copies of it still exist. It was indeed a sad day for the honor of "honest" membership in such a prestigious organization.
This is a lie. Mods**********

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-26-12, 07:31 PM

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do they get an additional cluster of Oak Leaves or a Banana Peel if they get photographed with both feet clipped in ?
Old 03-26-12, 07:44 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Where in the world did you get that idea? No way is this club reserved for those 50+. Its every bit as common an event at all ages especially when a person is new-be.
Old 03-26-12, 08:22 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by alanknm
Do they get an additional cluster of Oak Leaves or a Banana Peel if they get photographed with both feet clipped in ?
That would be an "Oaf Leaf Cluster(f)". I once fell over on the street in front of a minivan. I had a bottle of Fruit Punch Gatorade in my cage. It was opened and spilled it's contents all over me, making me look like a bloody mess. I made the horrified motorist swear never to speak of this incident, ever.

It earned me an Oaf Leaf Cluster(f).

Old 03-27-12, 12:00 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Any Pedal including platforms can qualify providing the pedal caused the fall. Normally you can get a foot off a platform pedal and not fall and this is why platform claims are scrutinised carefully-- The same as any other claim. There can be a situation where a Platform pedal can stop you being able to get your foot down to save a fall. And I have done it so I know it can be done.
Thank you for clearing that up, Stapfam. I would have never thought I'd be able to blame my platform pedals for my own ineptitude! Good to know. Moreover, it is in keeping with one of my personal beliefs: "A good scapegoat is nearly as welcome as a real solution."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.