Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Tomorrows ride.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomorrows ride.

Mick -one of my neighbours that has just bought a new bike- And Nathan-Another neighbour that has a bike--- Are accompanieing me on a bike ride.

Mick is younger than me and is the one that bought my OLD OCR last year and has now got a good bike. He is fitter than me but if I say take the pace down he does but on the hills I can normally beat him.

Nathan on the other hand is 30 years young- plays Rugby- Football- goes to the gym at ungodly hours for 2 hours at a time 3 days a week before work and Runs 15 miles in the evenings 3 days a week just to stay fit. Cycling is his summer sport just to stay fit for the winter.

If you go out with Nathan- That is what you do- You start out with him and don't see him again.

Well he took a ride today and it hurt. Only 20 miles or so and for the first 15 miles he said he was fine. Then I think he bonked but it may be that he just went too fast. Checked his computer and his average for the 20 was 19.7 mph so I know something went wrong. he normally does that ride at 22mph.

So I have suggested a recovery ride for him tomorrow. Keep speed down and spin.

Wonder how long we will be riding with him before he disappears in a cloud of Dust?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Checked his computer and his average for the 20 was 19.7 mph so I know something went wrong. he normally does that ride at 22mph.
    At my best I could either ride 22 MPH or I could ride 20 miles. Just not both on the same ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you should offer to "check" Nathan's brakes and tire pressure before the ride

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe Nathan's just never going to be the right riding mate. If you can convince him to do a recovery ride once in a while perhaps you and he could ride together comfortably. Other than that he's not "the one."

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hurt now. Did a full days gardening yesterday and Perhaps I should not have gone for a ride. I was aching before I started and it was only Mick. He had some leg strains aswell so we did a gentle pace. Not recovery rate and a bit of work was done- especially as after about 3 miles we caught 3 other roadies that were riding. 5 miles with them at a pace that was just 1mph too fast for me and it was a bit nerve racking. They pointed out every hole- every dip and every bit of debris on the road and this road is bad. I normally keep so I can keep my own eye out but a s the pace was higher- I kept in line. In the end I gave up on the line and rode 2 abreast.

Just as I was thinking I'll slow down- they took another route so me and Mick could ride our own ride. Another 10 miles and it was Breakfast-Full fry up of Eggs- bacon- sausage- Tomatoes and Mushrooms. Lovely.

15 miles on the route back and it was fairly flat across the marshes. Headwind in places but I just followed Mick and got him to drop a couple of gears to raise his cadence. It did the usual and his speed with a higherr cadence went up by 2 mph--but I was getting a tow so no problems. His cadence went from around 80 to around mine of 90 to 95 and he did say he preferred it.

But got home- 30 miles at 13.6 mph and I am stiff. Back aches a bit but that is not the bike- Thighs are like lead but the knees are fine. Glad I went out but need that bath now.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan