User Tag List

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure glad I got Gatorskins

The OEM tires are supposed to have puncture resistance, but I decided to have the LBS put on Gatorskins--glad I did.

Yesterday I rode the new bike on my normal route. At the bottom of a hill was broken glass--like from a broken beer bottle or two. There was no way to avoid the hazard unless I had seen it far earlier and had slammed on the brakes. The bike and tires didn't skip a beat. I tried to avoid what I could, but I definitely went through a glass minefield. I checked the tires thoroughly and found maybe one tiny splinter that I plucked out, but the tires looked great. I didn't see cuts or anything. I checked this morning and the inflation hasn't diminished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still get the occasional flat but on the order of every 3000-4000 miles but nothing like the monthly (or worse) flats with the OEM's.

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD77 View Post
    I still get the occasional flat but on the order of every 3000-4000 miles but nothing like the monthly (or worse) flats with the OEM's.
    It's not unusual for OEM tires to be anywhere so-so to terrible. When I started getting flats once a week a couple of weeks in a row it was time to toss them and get new tires. I got about 1800 miles out of mine before I replaced them with Conti Grand Prix 4000's. Still plenty of rubber on the old ones but they seemed to have gotten softer and more prone to punctures at that point.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say to the OP that you were just real lucky. Gatorskins are a great tire but not bullet proof. Glass will cut through them too.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I know that they aren't bulletproof, and I do feel fortunate. I'm sure glad I had these on when I really couldn't avoid the hazard. It would've been a real bummer to have had to deal with a flat or major tire failure on my first real ride on my brand new N+1 . It is likely I would've had a flat with the OEM tires.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    I would say to the OP that you were just real lucky. Gatorskins are a great tire but not bullet proof. Glass will cut through them too.
    True...the wrong kind of glass will puncture most anything.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One flat in 5,600 miles in 2011 between our tandem and my racing bike.
    No, don't have Gatorskins.
    We use the Maxxis ReFuse.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My default tire is normally Gatorskins. They roll better than Armadillos even if they give up just a bit in flat protection, in my experance only. I have thought of giving the Gatorskin hard shell a try.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    2009 Giant Cypress DX 2009 Jamis Coda Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got 700x28 Specialized All Condition Armadillo Elites and Airlock Road Tubes. Two flats in two days on almost new Vittoria Zaffiros did it for me. I know there are no guarantees, but they should be pretty good. The All Condition Armadillo Elites are lighter (340g vs. 440g) and roll alot better than the All Condition Armadillos. Cost more too.

My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep in mind

People having flats are well advised to get tires like those discussed here. Folks should also pay great attention to the road, ride LESS far to the right when they can and wear biking gloves with which they can inspect and brush off any sharp junk that might get in a tire. If you roll over glass, stop and inspect your tire and remove any bits of glass that might be starting to embed themselves. It's amazing how many people don't bother doing this. Also check your tire after each ride if you live in an area with a lot of junk in the road. BTW I use gatorskins when I am concerned about junk and Conti 4000S when I'm not.

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digibud View Post
    People having flats are well advised to get tires like those discussed here. Folks should also pay great attention to the road, ride LESS far to the right when they can and wear biking gloves with which they can inspect and brush off any sharp junk that might get in a tire. If you roll over glass, stop and inspect your tire and remove any bits of glass that might be starting to embed themselves. It's amazing how many people don't bother doing this. Also check your tire after each ride if you live in an area with a lot of junk in the road. BTW I use gatorskins when I am concerned about junk and Conti 4000S when I'm not.
    Exactly ! +1
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100