Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-25-12, 08:41 AM   #1
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sure glad I got Gatorskins

The OEM tires are supposed to have puncture resistance, but I decided to have the LBS put on Gatorskins--glad I did.

Yesterday I rode the new bike on my normal route. At the bottom of a hill was broken glass--like from a broken beer bottle or two. There was no way to avoid the hazard unless I had seen it far earlier and had slammed on the brakes. The bike and tires didn't skip a beat. I tried to avoid what I could, but I definitely went through a glass minefield. I checked the tires thoroughly and found maybe one tiny splinter that I plucked out, but the tires looked great. I didn't see cuts or anything. I checked this morning and the inflation hasn't diminished.
Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-12, 09:38 AM   #2
TomD77

Bikes:
I still get the occasional flat but on the order of every 3000-4000 miles but nothing like the monthly (or worse) flats with the OEM's.
TomD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-12, 09:56 AM   #3
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD77 View Post
I still get the occasional flat but on the order of every 3000-4000 miles but nothing like the monthly (or worse) flats with the OEM's.
It's not unusual for OEM tires to be anywhere so-so to terrible. When I started getting flats once a week a couple of weeks in a row it was time to toss them and get new tires. I got about 1800 miles out of mine before I replaced them with Conti Grand Prix 4000's. Still plenty of rubber on the old ones but they seemed to have gotten softer and more prone to punctures at that point.
alanknm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-12, 01:03 PM   #4
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
I would say to the OP that you were just real lucky. Gatorskins are a great tire but not bullet proof. Glass will cut through them too.
Phil85207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-12, 02:05 PM   #5
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
Oh, I know that they aren't bulletproof, and I do feel fortunate. I'm sure glad I had these on when I really couldn't avoid the hazard. It would've been a real bummer to have had to deal with a flat or major tire failure on my first real ride on my brand new N+1 . It is likely I would've had a flat with the OEM tires.
Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-12, 02:24 PM   #6
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
I would say to the OP that you were just real lucky. Gatorskins are a great tire but not bullet proof. Glass will cut through them too.
True...the wrong kind of glass will puncture most anything.
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-12, 04:23 PM   #7
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
One flat in 5,600 miles in 2011 between our tandem and my racing bike.
No, don't have Gatorskins.
We use the Maxxis ReFuse.
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-12, 05:01 PM   #8
Mobile 155

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
My default tire is normally Gatorskins. They roll better than Armadillos even if they give up just a bit in flat protection, in my experance only. I have thought of giving the Gatorskin hard shell a try.
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 10:15 AM   #9
EsoxLucius

Bikes: 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2009 Jamis Coda Comp
I just got 700x28 Specialized All Condition Armadillo Elites and Airlock Road Tubes. Two flats in two days on almost new Vittoria Zaffiros did it for me. I know there are no guarantees, but they should be pretty good. The All Condition Armadillo Elites are lighter (340g vs. 440g) and roll alot better than the All Condition Armadillos. Cost more too.
EsoxLucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 11:19 AM   #10
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
keep in mind

People having flats are well advised to get tires like those discussed here. Folks should also pay great attention to the road, ride LESS far to the right when they can and wear biking gloves with which they can inspect and brush off any sharp junk that might get in a tire. If you roll over glass, stop and inspect your tire and remove any bits of glass that might be starting to embed themselves. It's amazing how many people don't bother doing this. Also check your tire after each ride if you live in an area with a lot of junk in the road. BTW I use gatorskins when I am concerned about junk and Conti 4000S when I'm not.
digibud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 11:24 AM   #11
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by digibud View Post
People having flats are well advised to get tires like those discussed here. Folks should also pay great attention to the road, ride LESS far to the right when they can and wear biking gloves with which they can inspect and brush off any sharp junk that might get in a tire. If you roll over glass, stop and inspect your tire and remove any bits of glass that might be starting to embed themselves. It's amazing how many people don't bother doing this. Also check your tire after each ride if you live in an area with a lot of junk in the road. BTW I use gatorskins when I am concerned about junk and Conti 4000S when I'm not.
Exactly ! +1
alanknm is offline   Reply With Quote