Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First ride on Continental GP 4000S WOW!

Put on a 25cm 4000S on the front and I can't believe how much smoother this is than any other tire I've tried. The Gatorskin I had on before was a big improvement over the stock Trek tire but this is in another world. It was rather hard to install. So besides price what's the trade-off?

My Bikes
    Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you get them on the rim - nothing I'm aware of. I really like mine and I ride very crappy roads.

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got 23's on my bike and I noticed the difference right away. Much lower rolling resistance, great grip on dry pavement. A very nice all round tire. I'm not sure about puncture resistance compared to Gatorskins but they've got to be better than most stock OEM tires. I've noticed that the rubber is on the soft side so it always pays to check them on a regular basis.

I haven't really pushed them when it's been wet but I've heard good things about them.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Conti 4000S on both my road bikes for the past 3 seasons. I get great milage on the tires with minimal flats. I don't even look at other tires anymore.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Gatorskins during the winter and GP4000s during the summer. GP4000s corner better, but also get more flats and don't last as long. Sometimes I run the Gatorskins down to the cords without getting any flats. That's never happened with the GP4000s.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use 23s, front and back. I have about 2,000 miles on them and they're still in excellent shape.

They look bigger and more bulbous than my previous Vittorias, but they feel thinner on the road.

Pump them to 120 - the ride is as hard-as-nails, but the low rolling resistance and true handling is great.

Wouldn't trade 'em...
    Regards,
    Duncan

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's all I've been using for the last several years. I buy a bunch of them from Probikekit.com when they're on sale. I think my supply is good for another couple of years at least
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the 4000S 23's on my old R500 and they rode super, for me. They were on the bike as the PO had put them on shortly before he sold it to me. Got good mileage out of them but I went to the Michelin Pro3 in 23 when I needed to replace them. No complaints about the 4000S though.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 03-28-12 at 08:24 AM.
    Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Attack - Force set on both my road bikes. The back is a 24 with an extra layer of flat protection. The front is a 22. I now buy them only. Not sure why I was not using them all along.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll need new tires for my Roubaix soon and I'm about ready to flip a coin between the Conti GP 4000S and the new Michelin Pro 4.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I'll need new tires for my Roubaix soon and I'm about ready to flip a coin between the Conti GP 4000S and the new Michelin Pro 4.
    I've heard good things about the Michelin Pro 3 / 4.

I'll be interested to see any comparisons...
    Regards,
    Duncan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGlenday View Post

Mostly I have read that the Pro 3 was very puncture prone, but the Pro 4 is supposed to be much improved in that respect. The only thing making me resist the GP 4000S is that I really would like a tire with a red stripe to bring out the subtle red trim on my bike. I am also considering saving a few bucks and going for the closeout deals on the Michelin Krylion which does come with a red stripe option.

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You still have the originals on ? I thought you replaced them after you posted pictures of a very, very bald tire.

My Bikes
    trek 460 road racer
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or the Krylium Carbon's....though I think most Michelin'ers would be using the P3 or 4.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think this could be a problem. You are either a PR Man or a 4000s man. Think it depends on which you buy first as both ride so well in comparison to other tyres- That you are loath to try anything else

I am a Michelin PR 2/3 man. The 4's are not discounted yet.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanknm View Post
    You still have the originals on ? I thought you replaced them after you posted pictures of a very, very bald tire.

I move my front tire to the rear and put a lightly used tire from another bike on the front. I'm showing no signs of excessive wear on either of them, but I'm going to replace them soon before the big mileage season really gets going.

My Bikes
    trek 460 road racer
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly I have read that the Pro 3 was very puncture prone, but the Pro 4 is supposed to be much improved in that respect. The only thing making me resist the GP 4000S is that I really would like a tire with a red stripe to bring out the subtle red trim on my bike. I am also considering saving a few bucks and going for the closeout deals on the Michelin Krylion which does come with a red stripe option.
    I made the same decision. Here is a foggy pic of my red Trek with the red striped Krylions:
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking of trying a set of Conti GP 4000S on my bike next time I need to buy a set, I've been using Michelin Pro 3 tires for the last few years since I had several sets. Flats have not really been an issue with them for me I have had a few but as far as I can see you will get flats sometimes. The only issue with the Michelin Pro 3 is the rear's sure do seem to wear fast for me.
    I had so many sets around that I didn't really keep track of milage but last year I think I went thru 3 rears swapping fronts to rear when I change new tires so maybe less than 1k a tire on rear.
    It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
    http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm

My Bikes
    Felt F3C; Colnago Masterlight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    I use the Attack - Force set on both my road bikes. The back is a 24 with an extra layer of flat protection. The front is a 22. I now buy them only. Not sure why I was not using them all along.
    I've used these (Attack/Force) before liked them very much. Is the GP 4000S a better overall road tire? I'm actually looking for something to make the front end a little less skittish. The head tube on the Felt F3 is 74 deg and the steering is a lttle too quick for a geezer of my skill level.
    Last edited by EastOfMidnight; 04-17-12 at 04:15 PM.
    My other bike is an Adirondack Guide Boat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Think this could be a problem. You are either a PR Man or a 4000s man.
    I use both- 4000s for training, pr2/3/4 for racing. PRs ride a little nicer than the 4000s and feel a little sticker in turns. But 4000s are pretty good, and last longer.

I found PR4s at a slight discount at PBK a while back. They're nice.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just swapped Gatorskin 25s to 4000s 23s on our CoMo Macchiato tandem. The ride is not quite as soft, but the bike certainly feels more lively and faster. Even my stoker noticed. I wonder how long they will last on a tandem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you want something a bit less expensive the Conti Ultra Sports for $20 each.
    http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...roducts_id=461

I have them on two bikes and they've been performing well, holding up to the end-of-winter road schmutz.

But I still like the 4000s a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW: PR3's are on deep discount sale all over the place lately. I bought two for $25 from Jenson USA a few weeks ago, but I've seen many examples for $25-29 lately.

I switched from the cheapest tires I coudl buy from Performance (~$11 ea?) to some Mich. PR2's a couple years ago. I was really impressed with how much more comfortable and just "better" feeling they were. I'm not very heavy and can run 23's at ~100 pounds so I stick with 23's (because it's slightly easier to take off the front wheel which I do about twice a day when I'm riding).

If they have a wear and/or puncture issue, it's lost on me because I have at least 2,000 miles on these tires and while the rear tire has the typical flat spot around the middle of the circumference, the front tread looks like new. I've had only flats related to underinflation (my error) or tube stem failures. The tires ahve been reasonably durable and tough.

So, I was going to try Conti GP4000 this go-round just to try something different, but then I saw the PR3's for $25 and just couldnt resist. Next timme!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    You are either a PR Man or a 4000s man.
    This is only true for people who've never ridden Vittoria Corsa Evos
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artmo View Post
    Just swapped Gatorskin 25s to 4000s 23s on our CoMo Macchiato tandem. The ride is not quite as soft, but the bike certainly feels more lively and faster. Even my stoker noticed. I wonder how long they will last on a tandem.
    Would love to hear other's experience on this. Also, Artmo, you might post your query in the tandem forum. As I recall, they seem to get pretty good comments there too.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast