Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I like about this 50+ forum...

...is that I find it much easier to read posts where the writer can spell, capitalize, and follow the rules of grammar and sentence construction reasonably well. In general all of these Bike Forums are better than most web forums that I've been in (as long as you stay away from the BMX group ), but it still seems like there's an age break where English was no longer taught as formally as it was in my (our?) day. I can really see the difference between this particular forum and many others. Frankly, it's a relief.

Not trying to start a flame war here -- just an observation. Keep up the good writing, folks.

Doug

My Bikes
    Dahon Helios SL, 1975 Stephen Rogers Custom, 05 Catrike Speed....(in the past) a tandem & a Vacuum Velocipede
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just recently returned to bike riding after years of not riding. Likewise for writing. (editor's note...sentence fragment) On the other hand, I just BEGAN internet forum communication...

Like (as?) when I was a child (My wife says I still am!), I find myself trying to emulate the posts I like. These range from this style to the (apparently) younger person's quick humorous riposte. Of course I am in AWE of the young person's computer & internet skills.

While in my state of awe, I must comment on the young person X-game skills & inventions. To someone who still feels its a miracle he can stay upright on two wheels; stunt bike riding, surfing, skate boarding, sky diving, rock climbing, juggling, hacky sack, acrobatic maneuvering of the human body of all types, seems to be in the realm of the Greek gods! What a wonderful thing that human beings can resist corporate efforts to channel & control by going outside the box in these computer, internet, x-game ways... Oh, I know young people can sometimes be insufferably patronizing & condesceding. "It was ever thus." A definition of Hell (on earth) is the thousand-year-old man! But, on balance, the x-game resistive spirit is a hope for the future.

Yours in Bike Forum fun!

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougG
    ...is that I find it much easier to read posts where the writer can spell, capitalize, and follow the rules of grammar and sentence construction reasonably well. In general all of these Bike Forums are better than most web forums that I've been in (as long as you stay away from the BMX group ), but it still seems like there's an age break where English was no longer taught as formally as it was in my (our?) day. I can really see the difference between this particular forum and many others. Frankly, it's a relief.

Not trying to start a flame war here -- just an observation. Keep up the good writing, folks.

Doug
    You are treading on reverse ageism , Doug, but I concur with your observations.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must not have noticed my "run on" sentences and lack of proper paragraphs!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and follow the rules of grammar
    Anyone who knows how to spell "grammar" correctly is okay in my book!

I really get bowled over by forum members who criticize someone else's "grammer."
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Dahon Helios SL, 1975 Stephen Rogers Custom, 05 Catrike Speed....(in the past) a tandem & a Vacuum Velocipede
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy, if you're in the 50+ Forum & your grammer is still alive, she must be really old.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by norton
    Boy, if you're in the 50+ Forum & your grammer is still alive, she must be really old.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel right at home in the 50+ forum since I always speel purfictly.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent
    I feel right at home in the 50+ forum since I always speel purfictly.
    Meat u ! Itaint da gramma it's da shared experience of ar generashun,;':?/!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your, for you're, or ur

to, too, two

Still. I get confused with who and whom and am over 50

BUt I am envious as H with the computer savvy of anyone under 35, my putr tutr is 35

and noes things I did't noe xist

Live to Ride,Ride to Live
    My Bikes
    2 - GT Panteras of different vintages, Trek 1100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doug
    u mean u like it here cos we rite good?

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "ODE TO THE SPELL CHECKER!"

Eye halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write
    It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long
    And eye can put the error rite
    Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
    I am shore your pleased two no
    Its letter perfect awl the weigh
    My chequer tolled me sew.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bravo!!

My Bikes
    1993 Infinity LWB, Bacchetta
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We old timers may have better grammer on average than the younger crowd in these forums but the youngsters can probably post messages at five times the speed it takes us to post.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O you've noticed that too

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geezer.......I like your name......& your avatar......especially the racing slick on the rear

My Bikes
    Klein, Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, for all of us that like it when people spell correctly, try this:

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer
    in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is
    taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be
    a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. **** is
    bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the
    wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh?

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pay the bills as an editor. The other day I received a job application from a youngster who works for the local paper. He declared: "I would like to right for your publication." I'm not making this up.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I have given poor old DnvrFox a hard time about setting up this forum. But the other day, it struck me. The other forums here are populated by kids at college or university who are still dripping from behind the ears. You can see the maturity of the older posters. But that often is overpowered by the juvenile or imbecilic nature of the rest.

I'm still not that interested in the ailments of age, nor in the p!ssing contests, but I am interested in the wisdom as it pertains to cycling. FWIW, my job is in bicycling education (at least for the next six months), and many of our clients are approaching or have passed 50 years of age (and especially those wishing to learn how to ride). Hence my more frequent visits here.

One thing that does concern me, however, is the apparent lack of female input. Where are the 50+ women riders? I would hate to think this is just an old boys' club!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan
    You know, I have given poor old DnvrFox a hard time about setting up this forum. But the other day, it struck me. The other forums here are populated by kids at college or university who are still dripping from behind the ears. You can see the maturity of the older posters. But that often is overpowered by the juvenile or imbecilic nature of the rest.
    Naw, you haven't given me a hard time. A couple of folks have, but your thoughts have always been well considered, even if cleverly disguised.

I'm still not that interested in the ailments of age, nor in the p!ssing contests, but I am interested in the wisdom as it pertains to cycling. FWIW, my job is in bicycling education (at least for the next six months), and many of our clients are approaching or have passed 50 years of age (and especially those wishing to learn how to ride). Hence my more frequent visits here.
    As far as the ailments of "age" - just await your turn! It happens, and I think that how we do or don't deal with them is an important aspect of the 50+ forum. So many folks with some of the "ailments" we have just give up on life. Others brave it out and find ways to accommodate to those "ailments." Therein lies the true, meaningful story.

One thing that does concern me, however, is the apparent lack of female input. Where are the 50+ women riders? I would hate to think this is just an old boys' club!
    We have had several women participate - Jean Beetham Smith, for one, lovemyswift, vicki come to mind, but you are right, they don't post in the 50+ forum much. Perhaps they post elsewhere?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    I pay the bills as an editor. The other day I received a job application from a youngster who works for the local paper. He declared: "I would like to right for your publication." I'm not making this up.
    Perhaps he thought your paper was too liberal?

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Perhaps he thought your paper was too liberal?
    Good one!
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.