recumbent bike advocate Tractortom's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N+1 New bike coming...

I could never figure out how some people manage to collect a bunch of expensive bikes when you can only ride one at a time???? So, I have been commuting on my Bacchetta Strada recumbent. It's a great bike for out on the road, but probably not a great bike to use as a commuter. What I have been looking for is a Bacchetta Giro 26 in a long frame, with 26" tires about 1.5" wide. Well, I found one on-line the other day, a good used one from a fellow up in Wisconsin and have made a deal. Now I'm thinking that I don't want to get rid of the Strada. Strip the racks and bags and fenders off of it, and use it for my go-faster road bike, and add the racks and bags and lights and fenders to the Giro and keep it as my Commuter/Loaded touring bike.

The wife does NOT want to hear this, can't understand why I would consider owning two expensive bikes....

Now I'm beginning to understand how people 'accumulate' a number of bikes....

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Commuting and you only have one Bike? That is dangerous. What happens if you scratch the paint work? or the bar tape gets a bit worn? You would have to use other transport that is more expensive and would not be as enjoyable.

Same with Sunday ride bikes- You need at least two.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, once you get started..... it becomes easier and easier.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Expensive" is a relative term. If you kept the Strada and decided to commute by car, you would have had to spend a lot more for a commuter car. Even a cheap commuter car would have run you $6000-$8000. Thus the Giro is a very inexpensive commuter.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many sets of jewelry does the wife have? You can only wear one pair of ear rings at a time (well not reality anymore).

recumbent bike advocate Tractortom's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
    How many sets of jewelry does the wife have? You can only wear one pair of ear rings at a time (well not reality anymore).
    Good argument, but she makes her own jewelry these days....must have 100 sets of beaded ear rings and maybe 50 strings of beads to wear around her neck. I suppose if I could build my own bike from cheap beads, she wouldn't have much to say about it???

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Commuting and you only have one Bike? That is dangerous. What happens if you scratch the paint work? or the bar tape gets a bit worn? You would have to use other transport that is more expensive and would not be as enjoyable.

Same with Sunday ride bikes- You need at least two.
    Hard to argue with that!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And so it begins...
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)
    My Bikes
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, I too thought having more than one bike was a waste of money! Then, we went "Car-Less" and how was I going to "get around", if the "one bike" was in the shop for maint. or got damaged and I had to wait for parts?? So I dropped the dime and got a 2nd. bike, I too made it up to be my, Utility/All Purpose machine. LOL, makes me feel "well off" saying that I have a bike just for "road riding/lite touring"! Now, I can't imagine how you could live with just "one bike"!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB, converted to a "comfort bike"! :)