Advertise on

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

Getting fit for rides at the end of May

I have my Retirement planned and part of that is cycling. Last 6 months have seen my fitness go downhill and I intend to correct that. There is no way I am ever going to get up to 100 mile in 6 hours so I intend to keep my goals acceptable.

I am looking at myself and saying I have to start again.- just like a newby. At least I won't have severe butt ache but new bike- new saddle and I expect a bit. Legs and They have a certain amount of strength but nothing like last year- Same with cardio Vascular and lung capacity.

I intend to go out with the Sunday rides and for a few weeks limit myself to 40 miles. Then in the week get a couple of rides in. One taking in a few slopes and the other getting in mileage at a pace I enjoy. Should push me to around 100 miles a week for a month and then in May start putting in effort and finding the real slopes or putting on speed.

End of May and I have two rides organised. First is a 50 miler and it does take in the nastiest slopes round here. The 16% and a long drawn out 12%er for 2 miles + others. I will aim for the gold standard for my age which is 4hrs 10 minutes. This is doable as a Metric- on an easier course- was done in 4hrs last year. The other is a Fun Ride of London to Brighton- only around 60 miles but done at night.

So hopefully I will be able to get fit with my "Ride Programme". If not- I will struggle.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

NW Florida
    My Bikes
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 4
    4 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Best of luck with the retirement rides Stap. Just don't overdo the conditioning but do have fun. Glad you are liiking forward to your next chapter in life.

I did not get a choice whether I have Parkinson's Disease, but I can decide how to manage this disease, and to not let it take over my life.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me", Philippians 4:13 NKJV