User Tag List

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can a lighter bike help a " cyclist?

Each time I see or participate in a thread concerning cutting the weight of a bike there are always a number of comments about losing weight before cutting the weight of the bike.

Therefore, I am beginning to wonder if a "less than skinny" cyclists should bother with riding a lightweight bike. Are riders that carry any weight at all regulated to 20 plus pound cruisers?
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That depends on your wallet, not on the opinons of others.

My Bikes
    2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    Therefore, I am beginning to wonder if a "less than skinny" cyclists should bother with riding a lightweight bike. Are riders that carry any weight at all regulated to 20 plus pound cruisers?
    Ride any type of bike that you like and enjoy doing so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand it, and I think this is correct, that so long as your bike has good quality, low friction components and good tires and wheels, and a good fit, a few extra pounds on the bike are irrelevant. The difference between a good quality bike and a top of the line bike is minimal - the motor is way more important than the bike.

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone can benefit from a lighter bike. To some it's important, to others it's not. As already said, it's up to you. You're going to get all kinds of opinions. Many will say you should lose weight first. Who cares? If you have the cash you can have a better bike now. Takes a while to lose weight.
    If you get a bike you like to ride more, that will help you lose weight. Either way is fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
    Anyone can benefit from a lighter bike.
    Agreed.

Losing body weight will also help.

Basically, ANY weight reduction is good, IMO - and if you can get weight (especially spinning weight) off the bike, do it. (IMHO)
    Regards,
    Duncan

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think, for most of us, a lighter bike will enable us to ride up hills faster by a small margin. The tipping point is if that small margin of efficiency enables us to make it up the hill with out walking or getting to the top a little sooner. If racing then, yes a lighter bike is a factor.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not riding it, the bike's not going to help in the slightest. Ride the bike you enjoy riding, because you'll ride it more.
    As others have said, losing weight anywhere will help but, 1kg off the bike is probably only 1% off the total package (less in my case). It's healthier and easier to lose significant weight off the body.
    On the other hand, if you can afford a better bike, and it makes you smile as much or more than what you have now, why not?

Richard
    yup, THAT one - still riding fixed and still riding that Europa (though she's got gears and shares the duties with my fixed Hillbrick)
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I don't have a car, anything that makes my bike less miserable to ride is good!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems the opinion is split.

Hills are where it is noticed most and to an extent it is the motor. By improving that you will perform better and if in improving that you also lose weight then so much the better. But there comes a point where the motor will not improve any more. That is when lighter parts come into it but it is not the weight loss of those parts that improves performance. It is the quality of those parts that perform better.

So get fitter and you will cycle better and hopefully there will be a weight loss to go with it When the motor stops improving- then look at the components.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Erlenbach View Post
    As I understand it, and I think this is correct, that so long as your bike has good quality, low friction components and good tires and wheels, and a good fit, a few extra pounds on the bike are irrelevant. The difference between a good quality bike and a top of the line bike is minimal - the motor is way more important than the bike.
    Every scientific analysis I've seen on bicycles over the last 40+ years agrees with this. However, cyclists have been voting with their pocketbooks for lighter bikes since 1878, so there must be something that science isn't including in the analysis.
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does a "lighter" bike help a cyclist? Well, as Kurt said, as long as you have a good quality bike, a few pounds is not going to matter. I am assuming that this is for recreational use and not competition. I recall years ago riding routinely with a bunch of "A" riders. The strongest cyclist in the bunch rode the cheapest bike in the bunch. At even a that kind of level, individual conditioning trumps the $$$$ spent on the bike.

Also think about it. Say you weigh 200 lbs. Your bike and water bottles and tools weighs 22 lbs. Your total is 222 lbs. You go out and improve the situation by getting a bike with gear that weighs 18 lbs. Your new situation is 1.8% lighter. You might notice the difference on a climb. I doubt that you would notice any difference on the flats. Now, if like most of us, you could stand to train a bit more often and lose 20 lbs, you would see a 9% improvement just from weight loss and probably more from conditioning.

I have seen riders try to "buy" performance by getting a lighter bike and it almost never works. I will say that it does often work for the ladies. For some odd reason, bike shops tend to put ladies into heavy bikes. If a 140 lb lady switches from a 32 lb bike and gear situation to an 18 lb one, then she will probably notice the 10% improvement.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have to carry your bike up 3 flights of stairs every time you finish riding, a lighter bike will be a lot more enjoyable.

While bike weight makes almost no difference once you get rolling, every single ride starts at 0 MPH. The more often you accelerate from 0 to 10 MPH, the better you'll appreciate a light bike.

We're always looking for the threashold of reliability. At the extreme end, lightweight bikes are going to break more often.

What about pride of ownership? Lighter bikes are almost always just nicer to have.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry, but as I read the thread title, the first thing that came to mind...

Can anything truly help a cyclist? A good therapist? Prayers? A 12 step program? I'm just not sure.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen far more change from losing weight and getting stronger. I do find when I take my mountain bike for my 12-20 mile evening ride, that my average speed over the ride is perhaps 1 mph or so less, and acceleration is not as snappy. In addition, when I take the MTB, I'm usually toting the extra weight of my big-boy camera and often a cable lock.

The performance between two good road bikes of a couple of pounds difference will be even less.

So, I'd say it makes a difference for a racer, or perhaps if you struggle to keep pace with a faster group. For a recreational rider like myself, the main difference is that I enjoy the sportiness of the road bike more.
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the best bike for an overweight under conditioned cyclist is one he or she rides long, often and vigorously. If a ten ounce change in bike weight or for that matter paint color is what it takes to get the bike on the road then it's worth it.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know whan i ride my commuter bike, a converted Mt. bike with heavy, but slick tires and panniers I go a TON slower than when I ride my road bike. The aero factor, the tire factor and the weight factor all add up to a much slower experience. And a much less fun experience.

How much of this is the bike's weight on my flat commute I can't say, but the overall effect is huge.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com