User Tag List

dbg
    My Bikes
    2004 Trek 5900 Superlight, 2001 Lemond BA, Dozen other muts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What color for my new build? (88 Trek 850 touring build)

Boy, I cringe even asking, ..but I recovered an 88 Trek 850 that fits me well and would make an excellent frame for a load-able tourer. It was rattle-can'ed over the original black-w/pink lettering -so it needs a total bead-blast and new coat.

I don't want to restore to original because I never liked the pink lettering, but I also want to stay away from any of the traditional Trek colors (which rules out black, red, blue, white, and silver).

I plan to decal it with a tribute to it's lineage (small script "1988 Trek 850" along the top tube, and 8-5-0 down the seat tube) but am thinking of a totally non-Trek color scheme like "wheat" or "beige." Somebody wave me off this plan if it sounds really dumb.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA (Trek 5900 Superlight), (Lemond BA), (Peugeot UO8 (SS)), (Dozen other muts)

"The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino
    "I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous; everyone hasn't met me yet" --Rodney Dangerfeld

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How 'bout a dark orange or red? I gave serious consideration to doing my old c-dale in a dark orange with black lettering. I didn't because I decided the money would be better spent elsewhwere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dbg
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that. Maybe a muted burnt orange w/ black lettering.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA (Trek 5900 Superlight), (Lemond BA), (Peugeot UO8 (SS)), (Dozen other muts)

"I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous; everyone hasn't met me yet" --Rodney Dangerfeld

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it sounds like a good plan, dbg. You mentioned beige; my LHT is beige (Surly calls it "truckaccino") with black fenders, saddle and front - rear bags. I think it looks great. YMMV.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post
    Boy, I cringe even asking, ..but I recovered an 88 Trek 850 that fits me well and would make an excellent frame for a load-able tourer. It was rattle-can'ed over the original black-w/pink lettering -so it needs a total bead-blast and new coat.

I don't want to restore to original because I never liked the pink lettering, but I also want to stay away from any of the traditional Trek colors (which rules out black, red, blue, white, and silver).

I plan to decal it with a tribute to it's lineage (small script "1988 Trek 850" along the top tube, and 8-5-0 down the seat tube) but am thinking of a totally non-Trek color scheme like "wheat" or "beige." Somebody wave me off this plan if it sounds really dumb.
    As near as I can tell there's only one person in the entire world that bike has to make happy.

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want the wheat or beige colourway, how about a metal flake "Champagne" like the early 70's Raleigh International had. I owned one, a 74 I think, and wish I could find another bicycle in that colourway. Best of luck in deciding.

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    trek 460 road racer
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, nice bike. Definately go with a different stock color and decal scheme. Make it look like the Trek you want....but please, make it look Trek

Those are nice bikes. A friend of mine has one just about that year.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    trek 460 road racer
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the list of brochures from the Vintage Trek website so you can check the year and model on that bike. Good pics and color schemes are listed....good info!

http://www.vintage-trek.com/TrekBrochures.htm
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a link to my color scheme suggestion. I like the vintage look with panels.

http://www.ifbikes.com/OurBikes/Road/Independence/
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want a touring bike with a golden Palomino color scheme...Trigger anybody?

Golden wheat frame with more pale beige fenders...

So that's what I think you should do...
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

My Bikes
    trek 460 road racer
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
    I want a touring bike with a golden Palomino color scheme...Trigger anybody?

Golden wheat frame with more pale beige fenders...

So that's what I think you should do...
    There were some Raleigh Super Courses that came with a beige shade, too. Elegant and easy on the eyes....but then, they are noted as being a gentleman's bike in the day.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always paint it my Dad's favourite colour scheme if one of us kids was stupid enough to ask him what colour he was going to use when he was going to be painting something, sky blue pink with purple polka dots.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the classy beige that Surly used on their Long Haul Trucker a couple of years ago. I also always like British Racing Green and a nice Orange Metallic. Gunnar offers an orange metallic that I love. I think they first paint the bike a metallic silver and then a coat of a darker orange over it.

But that's what I like.

Gunnar shows a lot of their current and archived colors on their web pages, if you would like to browse.

http://gunnarbikes.com/site/colors-a...urrent-colors/

http://gunnarbikes.com/site/colors-a...chived-colors/

Use the down arrow key to scroll down to 5/31/10 to see the orange I like.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc Giant Trance X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always had a soft spot for British Racing Green with gold pinstripe or lettering.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    You could always paint it my Dad's favourite colour scheme if one of us kids was stupid enough to ask him what colour he was going to use when he was going to be painting something, sky blue pink with purple polka dots.
    Uh - are we brothers?

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    There were some Raleigh Super Courses that came with a beige shade, too. Elegant and easy on the eyes....but then, they are noted as being a gentleman's bike in the day.
    This color??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

My Bikes
    trek 460 road racer
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
    This color??
    Looks like a '77 with fenders. Nice bike.

There is a '77 up the street from me, the guy wants to sell it unrestored. Suntour barcons and all

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not white because it is hard to photograph
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of bike colors, I now have 3 silver bikes. And a silver car. And you know what, I don't really like silver that much.

But I got great deals on all of them.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on British racing green.

My second choice is the dark cherry red that Surly put on just their LHT frame and fork combos several years ago. At that time they did not sell built up bikes. I'd just about given up finding one, when I found this new frame and fork in my size on ebay. Put in a ridiculously low bid and got it

dbg
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also a fan of British Racing Green. And I like yellow -but it seemed too bright for a workhorse tourer. I've considered a more muted yellow that I'd call maize -a tribute to the "great corn sea" I frequently ride through.

I dropped off the frame Saturday at a neat shop in the Chicago Bridgeport area with "UV." (http://uv-powder-coating.com/). The shop had a cool vibe and "UV" was working on projects and talking to customers while carrying around an infant in a backpack --who looked happy as a clam and fascinated by all the activity. Very cool. And I went with a color similar to the LHT "truckaccino" but a tiny bit darker. So it's sort of a burnt wheat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always recommend British Racing Green , although my loadable is a 94 Cannondale H300 with fade from black to medium grey . I replaced both a sportourer and mountain bike with it. Trek had a pretty burnt orange color at one time . But , I have to respect your decision. I think that will look great . Be sure and post it when the build is ready . The Great Corn Sea awaits .

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "burnt wheat" sounds like a very nice color for a bike. I think bikes look classy in various "cream" colors.

My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had an old Novara Randonee frame and LHT fork powdercoated "Imperial Bronze." It came out a beautiful metallic toasty golden bronzy brown.
    Gunnar Sport
    Specialized Ruby
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX
    Jamis Dragon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
    I just had an old Novara Randonee frame and LHT fork powdercoated "Imperial Bronze." It came out a beautiful metallic toasty golden bronzy brown.
    The problem with that, in the midwest, is that you could set your bike down near a soybean field and be unable to find it !