Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Day 4 of the rest of my life.

Tuesday I retired and rode home from work. Yesterday and I pottered in the garden and got a lot done and with a bit of help from my Grandson- Changed the tyres on the Pinnie.

Today and pottered again and got a lot more gardening done but had the GD and GS for the afternoon. Took them to the beach for a walk and wore myself out. Bought fresh fish off the boat so supper was good.

But only 3 days and I am restless. I keep looking at the jobs to be done and although some are urgent- most can wait till later in the year. Have to go shopping tomorrow though for seeds for the veggie patch and a few sundrys like netting for the peas and thick wire for the Espalier Fruit trees and I am just sorting out knapsacks that are comfortable to use and large enough to fit in what I want to buy.

I need a ride and just have to sort out what garden centre to go to. The one that will have all these items is only 5 miles away so going to have to do a detour somewhere to get the mileage in.

This retirement game is hard work--So reckon I'll go by my favourite cafe and have Pie and coffee. Should bring me up to 100 miles since Sunday. Haven't done that distance in a week since my last century ride a couple of years ago.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My retirement quote of the day, "If it can wait until tomorrow, let it!"
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    My retirement quote of the day, "If it can wait until tomorrow, let it!"
    Correct.

Another retirement essential: Naps. Take lots of 'em, stap. You'll get the hang of it after a while.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now you might know why I do 100 mile rides.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Trek 600, 1985 Trek 660, 197? Holdsworth Mistral, 1995 Trek 800 mountain bike, 2013 Jamis Coda Comp, 2013 Specialized Crosstrack.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I will really enjoy retirement when I get there. My place of work closed in 2010, and I went back to college. I finished in December, then decided to spent the winter in Florida. I honestly never had a problem with doing what I wanted when I wanted. I am still a few years away from really retiring, but I think will be very happy when it comes. Enjoy every day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though my retirement plans have been moth-balled for the forseeable future I do greatly enjoy the vicarious pleasures experienced while reading about other folks' retirement triumphs.

Congrats on leaving on your terms and with good health! Please keep the 'Retirement Chronicles' coming!!

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember, retirement gives you 8(or 10 or whatever your workday was) hours for naps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best advice I was given when I retired was that it takes about six months to wind down and to start to enjoy retirement. It didn't take me that long but it did a friend.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Year 17 of my retirement . . .
    Took care of my spouse who just had cancer spot excised from her lip (the bad kind) and is due for another session for another surgery in 2 weeks. She is not allowed any exercise for a month that will raise heart rate (Yeah, what kind is that?). Tandem will gather a bit of dust; try and keep her slowed down! Did go out for a not overly energetic walk with her.
    Rode 22 miles on the single, temps in low 80s; vacuum cleaner had some issues, took it apart, fixed it and got it back together too.
    And so it goes . . . do what nees to be done, have some fun and see what tomorrow brings!
    Retirement ain't bad, seems we need more than 24 hours in the day!
    Hang in there Stapfam, there's no rush!
    Pedal on!
    Rudy/zonatandem

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try doing some volunteering around town. lots of places need them.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    Try doing some volunteering around town. lots of places need them.
    This is the problem- I have lots to do at home. So far I have only got in the essentials that I would enjoy doing. Part of that is going to be riding so Plan is to ride as far and as often as I am able. I won't have time to volunteer for a good while so I will keep that on the back burner as an option if I ever get bored with my own company.

But little things like Painting the house can wait for a while till the weather improves. Still only 66f in the day time- ideal temp for riding.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My wife still works, so I took on a good chunk of the house work. Weather permitting I fly (RC) in the morning and ride after an early lunch. A bit more cooking now that I have time and the grocery shopping that goes with that. Some time in the workshop (more on the planes and helicopters than the bikes these days).

I've been retired for 2 1/2 months now and it seems that I'm just a busy as when I worked except that it's much more peaceful.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK- I am paeralyticv right now And the spel lchecke rs=doesn't work on the word I have jusr typed. Offisially retired today on 30th. march 2012. Surtprise party from myt 2 daughetrs of a superb chinese maeal and an excellent bottle of Chateaux Neuf du Pape. pronably the best bottle of wine I HAVE EVR HAD. IT WAS Fantastic.

Then a "Surprise" Party from the neighbours for my retierment and more "Cote Du rhone" wine and i am pissed.

Just thought iWOULD Let you know that i am not riding tomorrow-- But also let you know that I have awonderfull set of neighbours

Any hang over remedies that work--I might need one in 8 hours time.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go back to bed until you feel better, you can do that now you're RETIRED!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morning after and I don't feel too bad except for the washed out feeling. Sorry about the post last night But the fingers were not engaging with the Brain. Just had a Pint of energy drink and still no energy but feeling a lot better.

Had one week of glorious sun and a ride yesterday. Ride tomorrow but the weather is going downhill. NO rain forecast but temps down into the low 20's at night and struggling to reach 40 on the day time. Might be getting on with some house maintenance.

Spike Milligan

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep the house work for poor weather days.

I found that making a list helps me organize my week.

List:

Ride road bike
    cut grass
    fix front door lock
    oil change in the Buick
    Ride road bike
    Dr Appointment
    Ride Road Bike.

Got in 355 miles so far this week with one day left.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day seven and I thought I had better update you. Riding and after 140 miles in the week since retirement and it is getting easier. Speed still has to go up but today I had to ride and decided a slope or two and a bit more mileage. One of those slopes was going to be a good one so I decided last night that I would take the TCR with the triple. Pulled it out of the shed and a flat front tyre- No probs as I have spare wheels. I had taken the Front bottle carrier off to fit on the Pinnie when i got it but there was still the rear one on the seat tube. But in taking off the front carrier- I taken off the pump mount to put on the Pinnie aswell. I was ready to go at this point so took the Pinnie and a modified route to cut out the 12% with a 20% kick in it and took a gentler route that would be a bit longer. I am not ready for the steep slopes at present--Well I would be if it was a shorter ride.

Got to Newhaven--15 miles over the top of the hill or 22 by the route I took and had coffee with an old customer. Did not feel too bad but not knowing how I would be on the return trip- I took the flat route home. 18 miles with only 300ft of climbing in it and nothing was over 5%. So 40 miles altogether in 3 hours. Don't know my max as I do not currently have a computer but having driven these roads for the last 20 odd years I know the milage.

I did expect to feel it when I got home but felt fine. Couple of things noted today-- My cadence is back. Slogging up the slopes at 65 to 70 and my knees felt it and cadence of 90 to 95 felt natural again. The other thing is that i have to charge the camera battery up. It died on me as I went to take the first pic so still things to organise.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So who wants to place bets on when stapfam opens his bike repair business?

My Bikes
    Road bike, road bike, road bike (folder). See a trend here?
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to know when he will start offering tips on espalier fruit trees. I have my eye on one (or two) of those for the building site that will one day be a garden.
    Zero gallons to the mile

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boudicca View Post
    I want to know when he will start offering tips on espalier fruit trees. I have my eye on one (or two) of those for the building site that will one day be a garden.
    Let you know in a couple of years as I have had my Coxs Orange Pippin apple tree and the Williams pear in situ for a couple of years and just hammered in the 4"x 8ft posts 3 ft. into the hard Clay soil that I have. Training wires are in but books and lessons to be learnt now. Only thing I know is get dwarf rooting stock and learn how to prune.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Stapfam's Bike Repair and Garden Centre"
    Will you offer senior discounts?