Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Unexpected N+1

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unexpected N+1

I have too many bikes. I really need to get rid of a couple.

But that didn't stop me from adding another one!

Just picked up a Short Wheelbase recumbent. A Sun Speedster AX. I had given some casual thoughts to picking up a SWB with a 20" front and 26" rear. Had taken a test ride on a new Bacchetta which would have cost me $1900. This deal was too good to pass up.

It's about 7 years old, but the owner, a woman, said she only rode it for 3 months until she healed from a back injury, and then went back to her old bike. Said it was hanging up in the garage ever since. I looked it over, it had almost no wear on the seat or tires (which were the stock, original tires) or cranks. Original list back in 2005 was $1499, it certainly would sell for hundreds more than that now. Picked it up for 1/3rd of that.

Good set of components. SRAM X.9 derailleurs and shifters, Avid BB disc brakes, FSA crankset.

Not the lightest or sexiest SWB, a bit on the heavy side, but not much.

BROL reviewed the bike years ago. The AX is the high end model.
    http://www.bentrideronline.com/archi..._speedster.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blimey Tom- Don't hear from you for ages and then you startle us by buying another bike.

But some chances are too good not to be taken.

Don't forget to post in the N+1 for 2012

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...he-N-1-of-2012
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on a great find!!

Based on my limited experience, Sun bikes are dependable and durable.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a picture of a Speedster AX that was set up for touring. This guy really loaded it down!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Those are some substantial tires!

I've taken my Volae Tour on some 'Single Track' with no problem. It's shod with a 20 x 1.25 front and a 26 x 1.5 on the rear. Looking at that Speedster image you found I imagine it handles off road quite well and would be very much 'at home' on crushed limestone bikeways.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 03-30-12 at 05:56 PM.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shouldn't have to worry about breaking your Sun.
    Looks like it came with some nice bits and pieces.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Speedster AX was Sun's attempt to build a faster, higher end bent. But it didn't sell. They only offered it for 3 years, I think, and perhaps only made one big production run. The components are nearly identical to the current Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT, which retails at $2100.

I'll have to experiment with my tire pressure for crushed limestone trail riding. The Kenda's can take up to 100 psi, but I suspect running them at 80 will be a bit nicer.

I do have a paved option nowadays. They connected the limestone bike trail by my house to the Madison bike trails, via a paved connector. I can ride to downtown Madison or a couple of other towns on paved trails now. Round trip to the state capitol is 28 miles, all paved bike trail, not necessary to ride on any roads (except to cross them).