Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-12, 06:23 AM   #1
Bob Nichols
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Bob Nichols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Union City, TN
Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Palm Sunday

Hope everyone has a great Palm Sunday. I was just wondering if Jesus made his triumphant entry into Jerusalem today if he would ride a borrowed bike instead of a donkey. A donkey would probably be hard to find.
Bob Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 07:08 AM   #2
John E
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Posts: 17,299
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
This may resurrect the "what would Jesus ride" discussions of a few years ago.
__________________
"Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 08:43 AM   #3
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist
 
Shifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Road, touring and mountain
Posts: 3,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
He had better have the proper travel documents, and a bullet proof vest. However. he IS Jesus, so maybe he wouldn't need these things. Like many of the preachers of TV and super churches, Jesus would probably enter in a private jet wearing a $5000 suit and handmade Italian shoes.
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 08:46 AM   #4
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Posts: 4,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
As far as I can tell there are still a lot of asses in the middle east.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 08:55 AM   #5
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...
 
Dudelsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Loovul
Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Posts: 6,350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
He had better have the proper travel documents, and a bullet proof vest. However. he IS Jesus, so maybe he wouldn't need these things. Like many of the preachers of TV and super churches, Jesus would probably enter in a private jet wearing a $5000 suit and handmade Italian shoes.
I was wondering how long a sweet thread would last before someone dumped their bile into it. My son-in-law works in a "super-church". He drives a used car, wears old Adidas, and somewhat threadbare blue jeans. I hire his wife part time to provide them spending money, and my wife shops at consignment stores to buy their kids (my grandchildren) clothes.

Your comments are thoughtless, insensitive, rude, narrow mind, and wrong. You probably thought you were pretty clever.
__________________
Signature line for rent.
Dudelsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 09:26 AM   #6
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist
 
Shifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Road, touring and mountain
Posts: 3,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, this should be in P&R, mods, do your thing.
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 09:28 AM   #7
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
According to information found on the interwebs, this is a photo of Jesus Lizama riding a bicycle. Would guess that Jesus is the one dressed in white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jesus on a bike.jpg (97.7 KB, 14 views)
__________________
RANS V3 - Ti, RANS V-Rex - cromo, RANS Screamer - cromo
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 09:30 AM   #8
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Posts: 4,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
One man's bile is another man's truth. Wouldn't it be nice if we could accept that?
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 10:01 AM   #9
jackb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Billings, Montana
Bikes: Trek 2100, Trek 960, Trek 2300, Novara Randonee, Specialized Langster
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This thread should be moved to P&R. It has the potential to spark debate about subjects that have no connection to bicycling Just to demonstrate, let me play devil's advocate for a moment: There is no God. Of course, everyone sees the danger here. So let's get smart and move the thread.
jackb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 10:04 AM   #10
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...
 
Dudelsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Loovul
Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Posts: 6,350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
Yes, this should be in P&R, mods, do your thing.
Just want to clear this up: I do not endorse any political or religious beliefs on this forum.

I do resent it when my family is attacked.

I do not care what your religious beliefs are.

Your remarks are thoughtless, insensitive, rude, narrow-minded, and wrong.

And now you want to hide behind the mods and make this into something other than the showcase for Internet Aspergers that you've made it into.

Have a nice day
__________________
Signature line for rent.
Dudelsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 10:12 AM   #11
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist
 
Shifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Road, touring and mountain
Posts: 3,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, you also have a nice day
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 11:40 AM   #12
jdon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just dropped in to check BF. Nothing new here. See ya!
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 11:48 AM   #13
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Posts: 4,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
Just want to clear this up: I do not endorse any political or religious beliefs on this forum.

I do resent it when my family is attacked.

I do not care what your religious beliefs are.

Your remarks are thoughtless, insensitive, rude, narrow-minded, and wrong.

And now you want to hide behind the mods and make this into something other than the showcase for Internet Aspergers that you've made it into.

Have a nice day
Perhaps you should have addressed it privately instead of cranking it up in this thread. That becomes an open invitation for others to join in.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 05:30 PM   #14
zonatandem
Senior Member
 
zonatandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Posts: 10,904
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
What is palm sunday?
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 06:09 PM   #15
Bionicycle
No I'm Not a Pirate!
 
Bionicycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The middle of somewhere in Indiana
Bikes:
Posts: 696
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
What is palm sunday?
I think in the Bible it has something to do with Jesus entering into the city of Jerusalem. But, for me my memories of Palm Sunday are about 1965 and a Tornado outbreak, and one that went right up the street that we lived on at the time. Completely destroyed a large brick building across the street, and East a block of us, but just left a few of those bricks from that building in our front yard, and tore off a few roof shingles...

That's what Palm Sunday reminds me of....
Bionicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 06:37 PM   #16
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles
 
Daspydyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20
Posts: 5,368
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Palm Sunday is a great time in Christian History. Wikipedia has a better review than I can post.

I attend a Mega church in the Las Vegas area. We also host one of the largest addiction recovery programs in America and have outreach into 6 prisons. Don't paint everyone with the same brush and also don't take everything personal.

I am a MOD and am leaving this here for now. I think people in the 50+ group are pretty secure in their convictions. This started as a light hearted thread, let's keep it that way. I personally think that Jesus would make his entrance today in a simple but obvious way. A group bike ride would be unique. BUT, I think He would be on a Mountain Bike! Jesus seemed to like the out back areas and then duck into the cities to make a point. A Hardtail would have served Him well.
__________________
I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Daspydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 08:48 PM   #17
Bikey Mikey
Senior Member
 
Bikey Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Newport News, VA USA
Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
Posts: 3,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My uncle is a Catholic Priest, now retired. One Palm Sunday, my uncle came down the aisle riding on a forklift and the congregation threw palms in the aisle just before he past the attendees of the service.
Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 04:28 AM   #18
Gravity Aided
Senior Member
 
Gravity Aided's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Bikes: Trek 600 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Impact, LaPierre TDF
Posts: 2,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At my old church, we had a wooden framed , stuffed donkey. The kids from Sunday School would pull one of the littler kids riding on the back of this donkey as parishioners threw down palms . A very sweet scene .
Gravity Aided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 06:13 AM   #19
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Posts: 4,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
BUT, I think He would be on a Mountain Bike! Jesus seemed to like the out back areas and then duck into the cities to make a point. A Hardtail would have served Him well.
A mountain bike? Now that's blasphemy! Jesus was definitely a roadie.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 06:17 AM   #20
qcpmsame 
Cycling Saved My Life
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Bikes: '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra, '78 Medici Pro Strada
Posts: 9,801
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Our priest always wishes the twice a year group Merry Christmas on Easter Sunday since he will not see them until then. Got to get ready for Maunday Thursday stripping of the altar, Good Friday noon service, Easter Saturday night mass and sunrise service on the lawn at 0630. Busy week.

Jesus had to be a roadie, what else could he be but the best!

Just all in jest, I never, ever judge anyone on their religion, or not having a belief system or their politics. Not any of my business and not my place to judge.

Bill
__________________
I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me. Philippians 4:13

"I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, I do choose not to allow it to control my life." Davis Phinney

Semper Fi, USMC, November 10, 1775, Tun Tavern, Philadelphia, PA.


Last edited by qcpmsame; 04-02-12 at 06:21 AM.
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 09:58 AM   #21
mprelaw
Senior Member
 
mprelaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 2,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
A mountain bike? Now that's blasphemy! Jesus was definitely a roadie.
Fixie.
mprelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 10:41 AM   #22
Rider98Glide
Senior Member
 
Rider98Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South of the Katy Trail
Bikes:
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jesus was comfortable with all people. He was always in His element no matter who he was talking to. Hybrid!
Rider98Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 11:09 AM   #23
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog
 
lhbernhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
Posts: 2,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The thing that differentiated Jesus was that he was not above associating with anybody, no matter how reviled or unpopular they were. His mission was to save the souls of the most unfortunate in society. Therefore, he'd likely be on a bent.

Luis
lhbernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 12:34 PM   #24
mikepwagner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: 2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
I was wondering how long a sweet thread would last before someone dumped their bile into it. My son-in-law works in a "super-church". He drives a used car, wears old Adidas, and somewhat threadbare blue jeans. I hire his wife part time to provide them spending money, and my wife shops at consignment stores to buy their kids (my grandchildren) clothes.

Your comments are thoughtless, insensitive, rude, narrow mind, and wrong. You probably thought you were pretty clever.
I assume that the unfortunate post was meant as you understood it - but it may be closer than you think theologically to the original intent.

As I recall, riding a donkey was associated with royalty in the time of the Gospels. It's been a long time, and I am no longer a Christian, but I am pretty sure that Jesus's entrance was suppsosed to be a triumphal royal entrance. We might think of a person riding a donkey as poor, but I am am not sure that was true in Gospel times.

I don't know what a triumphal royal procession would look like today. But I think that a reasonable theological argument could be made that were the Messiah to ride into Jerusalem today, it would be in a royal procession (at least from the point of view of the person who wrote the quoted psalms).

What does strike me as odd is that the Wikipedia article completely avoids the mention of Sukkot - the festival where Jews parade around shaking palm fronds saying (approximately) "Hosanna, hosanna, hosanna". I think any 1st or 2nd century Jew who heard the story would immediately see a reference to Sukkot. There may be a tradition about the messaih returning on Sukkot - I don't know.

I do know that the first time I celebrated Sukkot, I was surprised to find that what I thought was a unuique event (parading around shaking palm fronds and saynig 'Hosanna, hosanna, hosanna") in fact had been been happennig every year for a very long time before the times of the Gospels (and has continued for 1000s of years since the time of the Gospels).
mikepwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 12:43 PM   #25
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...
 
Dudelsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Loovul
Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Posts: 6,350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepwagner View Post
I assume that the unfortunate post was meant as you understood it - but it may be closer than you think theologically to the original intent.

As I recall, riding a donkey was associated with royalty in the time of the Gospels. It's been a long time, and I am no longer a Christian, but I am pretty sure that Jesus's entrance was suppsosed to be a triumphal royal entrance. We might think of a person riding a donkey as poor, but I am am not sure that was true in Gospel times.

I don't know what a triumphal royal procession would look like today. But I think that a reasonable theological argument could be made that were the Messiah to ride into Jerusalem today, it would be in a royal procession (at least from the point of view of the person who wrote the quoted psalms).

What does strike me as odd is that the Wikipedia article completely avoids the mention of Sukkot - the festival where Jews parade around shaking palm fronds saying (approximately) "Hosanna, hosanna, hosanna". I think any 1st or 2nd century Jew who heard the story would immediately see a reference to Sukkot. There may be a tradition about the messaih returning on Sukkot - I don't know.

I do know that the first time I celebrated Sukkot, I was surprised to find that what I thought was a unuique event (parading around shaking palm fronds and saynig 'Hosanna, hosanna, hosanna") in fact had been been happennig every year for a very long time before the times of the Gospels (and has continued for 1000s of years since the time of the Gospels).
Being a pagan Mayan god worshipper, these theological fine points are lost upon me. I personally would like to see ritual human sacrifice make a comeback, and think one or two members of this forum would make fine candidates but please keep in mind that participation would be strictly voluntary, at least initially.
__________________
Signature line for rent.
Dudelsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:01 PM.