Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stuff You Only See from a Bike

So I mentioned that in southwest British Columbia, this is the time of year (slightly warmer temps & lots of rain) when worms start appearing on the paths & secondary roads. I don't know what they're doing there. Crossing the road? Flooded out of their mud-soaked enclosure? Anyway, the challenge is to avoid running over them, both for humanitarian (animalitarian?) and practical reasons, like not having to scrape dead worms off the bottom bracket.

So this morning I'm riding to work on the usual bike route, and this crow lands up the road in front of me, picks up a worm off the road, and gleefully trots off just as I arrive. He's got the poor worm hanging out of his beak. Must be like shooting ducks in a barrel, just grabbing worms off the roadway. But you'd never see stuff like this driving, or in a bus.

Sorry, couldn't pull the camera out in time. (I know most of you like pix)

Luis

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw my first possum of the Spring last night.

This isn't it, but I did take this during a ride about three years back.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to enjoy watching crows use simple tools to crack open the walnuts that fell from the trees. They would fly over the roadway and drop them in front of cars and then fly down to pick up the pieces. I never did find a motorist who was aware of this happening; it was common enough behavior that many cyclists were aware of it.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have quite a few marsh areas round here and our road users are Toads and Frogs. For some reason they all decide to migrate at the same time in particular areas and there are teams putting in catchment areas and transferring them in buckets across the roads. Rarely see a frog or a Toad but I do wish the volunteer transferrers would have more road sense. They didn't hear me coming round a blind corner this morning on the bike.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in the Sonoran desert we have some rare/unique creatures.
    Spotted a dead (about 18" long) Gila Monster (poisonous lizzard) by the roadside this week; rare to see a Gila Monster . . . dead or alive.
    Also after some hefty rain (a rare event here) we'll see several dead Colorado river frogs squashed on the road. Quite the mess as they are HUGE critters (aboult 1 to 2 lbs each). They are not poisonous, but if licked/ingested by dog/coyote/bird the animal can get quite sick. Seems these huge frogs bury themselves in our washes (dry river beds) and come out after a good rain to mate . . . !
    Also on some early mornings in summer have seen several big tarantulas migrating across the roadway.
    No pictures as I don't bother with a camera/cell.
    Pedal on!
    Rudy/zonatandem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw two black snakes on my ride today and on Sundays ride I had to sprint past a skunk that was crossing the road in front of me. I made a bunch of noise so he heard me comming and didn't spray me! That would have sucked bad!!!!!!

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fork in the road...

Fork in the road by Yo Spiff, on Flickr
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of weeks ago I was just cruising one of the backtrails here and heard an eagle's cry, looked up and there was a Bald eagle just perched there looking at me. A couple of walkers came up to where I was and joined the looking, we all spent about ten to fifteen minutes before the eagle flew off.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All sorts of road jetsam.., some of it I bring Home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen so many caterpillars crossing the road, I can't even think of counting them. Must be a spring time thing, would never see them from a car.
    2012 Trek FX 7.5

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deer during very early morning rides, or raccoons, an occasional rabbit, very little during daylight hours around here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    I used to enjoy watching crows use simple tools to crack open the walnuts that fell from the trees. They would fly over the roadway and drop them in front of cars and then fly down to pick up the pieces. I never did find a motorist who was aware of this happening; it was common enough behavior that many cyclists were aware of it.
    My childhood home was just off a walnut tree lined road. The crows would do that. My mother always tried to run over as many walnuts as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestrider View Post
    Deer during very early morning rides, or raccoons, an occasional rabbit, very little during daylight hours around here.
    A deer hoof. No idea where the rest of it went.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once was riding a little ways east of my home when 5 Coyote pups came out of the field to visit me and the bike, then moved on. Parents were nearby , I'd guess , because you'd hear them howling at night .

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taken at the wilderness MUP where I do my daily rides.

HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot about animals, I've seen deer, snakes, hawks, hogs, tortoises, and a mother otter with three pups. I stopped when I saw the mother trying to cross the road, she saw me and returned into the weeds. The three pups came out to see what was there, and Mom was barking at them to get back with her. I thought that was cool.
    2012 Trek FX 7.5

My Bikes
    Trek Transport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A variety of shop towels, regular towels, t-shirts and other things found lying along the roadside. Some I pick up and use as cleaning rags, some, frankly, just aren't worth the time. Occasionally, I find someone that is moving that has tossed a lot of stuff. I'll stop and see if there is anything worth saving. One mans trash is another mans treasure!!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    So I mentioned that in southwest British Columbia, this is the time of year (slightly warmer temps & lots of rain) when worms start appearing on the paths & secondary roads. I don't know what they're doing there. Crossing the road? Flooded out of their mud-soaked enclosure? Anyway, the challenge is to avoid running over them, both for humanitarian (animalitarian?) and practical reasons, like not having to scrape dead worms off the bottom bracket.

So this morning I'm riding to work on the usual bike route, and this crow lands up the road in front of me, picks up a worm off the road, and gleefully trots off just as I arrive. He's got the poor worm hanging out of his beak. Must be like shooting ducks in a barrel, just grabbing worms off the roadway. But you'd never see stuff like this driving, or in a bus.

Sorry, couldn't pull the camera out in time. (I know most of you like pix)

Luis
    Sounds cool. On my last commute, there was one place in front of a car dealership where dozens of worms would climb out on the shoulder on a daily basis. I think it was the riding mower that bothered them.

I'd stop, get out my library card and Kroger card and use them to pick the worms up and transport them back to the grass where they wouldn't bake to death. I'd slide a card under them from each side and the worms just didn't know how to react so they'd generally comply and hang limp until their journey was over.

I've found lots of tools. My favorite kitchen scissors came from the street.

I'm getting so I hate finding wallets, when I try to return them to the owners it always seems to take for ever and end up costing me money.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 04-04-12 at 11:31 AM.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Trek 2.1, Trek 930, Fugi Sagres c.1980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw a moose on a bike once. Actually, I was on the bike the moose was just walking along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

recumbent bike advocate Tractortom's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on an organized ride last Saturday around Punta Gorda, FL along with 400 or so others, and was following two women into a residential area. As we came around a curve, a grey squirrel came blasting across the road, and actually ran into and bounced off the rear tire on this one womans bike. The squirrel did NOT become entangled in the spokes, just bounced off and went zipping back the way he came. Scared the woman on the bike, and got me to laughing about it all. She was worried she had run over it and killed the darn things. In some neighborhoods the darn squirrels are a menace and a hazard to navigation!

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was riding on a campground road in Pinnacles National Monument a few years back when a deer came out of the woods and ended up running right along side me. The deer was somewhat stuck between me and a fence which kept it within a few feet of me. As I pedaled, it kept looking at me (that was one big eye). It finally decided it wasn't going to out run me so it veered off and jumped the fence (which it cleared easily). It was fun while it lasted.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duckracer View Post
    Saw two black snakes on my ride today and on Sundays ride I had to sprint past a skunk that was crossing the road in front of me. I made a bunch of noise so he heard me comming and didn't spray me! That would have sucked bad!!!!!!
    Many decades ago, when bike lights were really lousy, I headed out a few hours before dawn on an unsupported double century into the Sierra. About 1/2 hour into the ride, I saw a flash of black and white come from my right side and felt my rear wheel run over something. I had a pretty good idea of what I had just hit, so I kept on going. On my return trip, I saw the now-dead skunk in the middle of the bike path. That was the one time having a crappy light turned out to be a good thing.

That same year we had a lot of flooding. I read a news report regarding the larger than normal number of rabid skunks in the county and didn't think much about it. I went out on a ride and found that one of the bridges had been washed out. When I turned around there was a skunk walking down the middle of the road. I had no idea what to do. I didn't want to risk getting bitten or sprayed, so I stayed still and hoped he would go on his way. Fortunately, he did.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen all "the usual stuff" on my solitary rides. Wildlife, interesting things discarded by the side of the road, humans doing weird stuff.. ( On summer night rides, you could see just about anything. ) But here is a list of the more memorable things:

-A washing machine, in the middle of state route 27. It apparently fell from a pickup truck that was parked about two miles further.

-A ford mustang, fully engulfed in flames, near the Alewife MBTA station in Cambridge.

-Pantyhose, by the side of commonwealth avenue in upscale Newton. Uhhh, How did they get there? Inquiring minds want to know. Or not.

-Hard drinking teenagers. Usually at night, but I have spotted them during the morning hours as well. Wee.

-Graffiti. Didn't start showing up in the Boston area until the late 70s. Now it's everywhere. Lots of artistic talent out there, definitely.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got these last year along the bike path. check his right talon.......................repost
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast