User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I need just a bit more storage on longer rides. Here is a small and light rear rack/bag that fills the gap between an under-saddle bag and a full rack:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...200545__203224

There are a couple of different sizes. Quick to mount or remove when not needed.

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My saddlebag is way too full for even a thin jacket. I carry spare tube, patch kit, 3-oz bottle chamois lube, wet wipes, spare blinkie or battery, emergency clif bar/shot blox, CO2, levers, wallet/ID/insurance, keys.
    My jersey pockets are busy with 5-oz flask of sports gel, cellphone (running cyclemeter), clear safety glasses (when ride continues after sunset), possibly a park gate pass or work badge to get through gate. Only things that I want fast access to on the roll.
    The windbreaker stuffs into its own pocket and has an elastic waist belt with a metal buckle. I usually use a velcro tie on the buckles to fasten it to the bike saddle over the saddlebag.
    Alternately, I'll use a thin drawstring backpack. If I'm bringing along a windbreaker, temperatures will be cool enough that having an ultralight pack on my back won't get too hot and I'll probably have tights or other apparel I'll want to ditch or swap out for lighter versions.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave up water bottles for a Hydration pack. It has a storage area for small stuff and a webbing pouch that pulls out for larger items like a jacket.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rolled up and stuffed into the jersey pocket. This way, when it starts raining, you can pull it out and put it on. While you're riding, of course. Just make sure you always keep the collar of the jacket at shoulder level so it doesn't get sucked into the rear wheel. And having a bike that tracks straight is also good.

For Paris-Brest-Paris, though, I didn't have room in the jersey pocket for the rain jacket (the vest was already in there). So assuming that, like me, you don't like to put racks and stuff on your bike, I just lashed it to the seat bag (with the velcro strap that was supposed to hold the timing chip, since I had the timing chip attached to the velcro strap on my cycling shoe).

But if your bike has racks and stuff, no problem. You don't even have to learn to ride no-hands!

Luis

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's either on my body or in a pannier.

Has the OP checked the bike department of his local x-mart? Bell has a small handlebar bag.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

MAK
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubix, Trek 520, Felt F80, Schwinn Madison, Gary Fisher Nirvana, Nishiki Bravo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're handy with a needle and thread or know someone who is, you can do what a number of people in my bike club did. They bought thin nylon stuff sacks at KMart or WallMart. They are found in the camping section. The bags usually come in a three pack so choose the size you need. They then sewed two six inch+/- pieces of velcro, perpendicusar to the length of the bag, to the sides. Don't sew the velcro on at the end but in the middle. Jacket goes in the bag, bag is closed with the enclosed line lock and the velco wraps around the handlebars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking of going for one of these top tube bags. Does anyone know if it will interfere with the brake and shifter cables on that are on top of the top tube on my Trek 7.5?

Spud4.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    My wife prefers to put her jacket around her waist. I was freaked out when I saw it and was ragging on her, but she is totally aware of the danger and actually secures t by simply removing her arms fromt he sleeves, leaving the bottom few inches of the jacket zipped, and tucking the sleeves and upper half of the jacket securely inside,a nd the whole thing stays tight around her waist/lower abdomen. Hard to explain, but it really is fool proof. I don't know why she doesn't just roll it up and put it in her jersey pocket, which is much simpler, to me.
    I think if I saw my wife doing that (even as well secured as you described), I'd just shove it in my own jersey pocket.. but then again I never bring a jacket (the one's I've tried flap in the wind too much) and when I ride with my wife it's usually slow paced enough I'll bring a backpack and carry extra food/water/etc..

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There aren't that many days that we need a jacket here in Florida, especially this year. I usually carry some long shoe laces in my saddle bag that have several roles. When I do wear a light jacket or sweatshirt and it starts to warm up, I roll the jacket up and tie it to the saddle bag with the shoe laces. Works really well and you don't have to give up a jersey pocket or have a large bulged item against your back.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjaspud View Post
    I'm thinking of going for one of these top tube bags. Does anyone know if it will interfere with the brake and shifter cables on that are on top of the top tube on my Trek 7.5?

Spud4.jpg
    Shouldn't be a problem unless your stem is completely slammed down. The straps can go between the tube and cables. I occasionally use a Bento Box like this on my road bike:

2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12