Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-05-12, 07:12 PM   #1
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bicyclist Kills Pedestrian

I also posted this article in A&S but do it here as well since the responses are generally more rational and congenial here. Also, the deceased is in the 55+ category. From my local news paper the Honolulu Star Advertiser April 2, 2012:

Quote:
Bicyclist kills pedestrian, 80
An 80-year-old woman died early Sunday morning after she was struck in a Hotel Street crosswalk by a bicyclist who ran a red light, police said.
An Emergency Medical Services spokesman said the woman sustained head injuries Saturday alter falling to the pavement and was taken to the Queen's Medical Center
in critical condition. She died of her injuries
at 2:21 a.m., police said.
The woman had been walking north in a crosswalk on Hotel Street when she was hit
by the bicyclist, who disregarded a red signal while traveling east on Hotel Street, police said.
Hawaii News Now, citing the Honolulu Medical Examiner's Office, identified her as Dionicia Leoning.
akohekohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 07:33 PM   #2
bluegoatwoods

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hang him.

(I'm fairly close to being serious)
bluegoatwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 08:04 PM   #3
sesmith

Bikes:
That's really sad. Unfortunately, the way a lot of people ride around my town, I'm surprised I don't see more stories like that in the news. I've been nearly run down walking in a crosswalk twice and had wrong way bike riders nearly take me out on a couple of occasions when riding, one of those times the guy had blown through a red light at the same time. A couple of years ago, I put a post in the commuting forum about some observations I made in my town. It's the long one about half the page down. Things haven't changed much in the last couple of years.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=survey
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 08:08 PM   #4
TomD77

Bikes:
Run a light or stop sign and kill someone, then it's vehicular homicide. What you are driving or riding doesn't enter into it.
TomD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 08:55 PM   #5
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
I hope the next of kin find the perp and slap him with a huge wrongful death lawsuit. This amazingly common idea that cyclists should be exempt from stop lights is just wrong!
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 09:12 PM   #6
B. Carfree

Bikes:
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
I hope the next of kin find the perp and slap him with a huge wrongful death lawsuit. This amazingly common idea that cyclists should be exempt from stop lights is just wrong!
I agree that cyclists should obey all traffic laws. However, it is my experience that most folks ride like they drive. When I see a cyclists blow through a stop sign, I'm thankful he/she is on a bike rather than driving several tons of steel in that manner.

Just yesterday while walking to my local grocery store I watched a motorist go through a stop sign at 30 mph in a 20 mph zone. Cross traffic has no stop at this intersection, but one-half block up the road I watched a car blow through that stop sign at 30 mph. But for the timing (about four seconds off), this could have easily been a fatal situation for at least one of the scofflaw motorists.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 05:23 PM   #7
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
There is considerable evidence that large segments of the human race is functionally stupid. This condition pertains across the economic/educational spectrum.
berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 10:45 PM   #8
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
Guys who blow red lights (and don't even slow down at stop signs) are not "cyclists" in my book. They are peds on bikes. Critical Massholes.

Luis
lhbernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 11:22 PM   #9
xizangstan

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
How fast does an 80-year old woman walk anyway? I can't believe she just suddenly sprang out there in front of the cyclist, without giving him a chance to react. How many kinds of stupid must a guy like that be?
xizangstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 11:43 PM   #10
neurocop

Bikes: 2003 Lemond Zurich; 1987 Schwinn Tempo; 1968 PX10; 1978 PX10LE, Peugeot Course; A-D Vent Noir
This is a very sad story with ironic features (i.e., a "man bites dog" story). Usually pedestrians, bicyclists, and other
motorists suffer serious injuries when a motorist runs a red light or stop sign. In this case a cyclist allegedly ran
a red light and killed a pedestrian.

This case highlights why cyclists are considered (by all the state motor vehicle codes I know of) to be riding on
"vehicles" and are obligated to follow the "rules of the road." That includes obeying traffic signals and signs, and
yielding the right of way to pedestrians and those on other vehicles. In most cases the cyclist who ignores the
rules of the road will be exposed to the risk of injury/death when he experiences an "accident." In this case it seems
to be that a pedestrian got the worse of the "accident."

This cyclist would certainly be subject to a civil "wrongful death" lawsuit. Since he violated traffic codes, he could also
be subject to a criminal charge of "vehicular homicide" or at least "negligent homicide." If he happened to be intoxicated
at the time of the "accident," he could face additional criminal charges of DUI.
neurocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-12, 05:21 AM   #11
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizangstan View Post
How fast does an 80-year old woman walk anyway? I can't believe she just suddenly sprang out there in front of the cyclist, without giving him a chance to react. How many kinds of stupid must a guy like that be?
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, his Strava app recording him as doing 35 mph at the time. The intersection was at the bottom of a steep hill.

Apparently his description of the accident was.

"The light turned yellow as I was approaching the intersection, but I was already way too committed to stop. The light turned red as I was cruising through the middle of the intersection and then, almost instantly, the southern crosswalk on Market and Castro filled up with people coming from both directions, … so, in a nutshell, blammo."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 04-07-12 at 05:28 AM.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-12, 07:28 AM   #12
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
rest in peace sweetheart, I hope you had a life full of love and joy
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-12, 07:55 AM   #13
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, his Strava app recording him as doing 35 mph at the time. The intersection was at the bottom of a steep hill.

"The light turned yellow as I was approaching the intersection, but I was already way too committed to stop. The light turned red as I was cruising through the middle of the intersection and then, almost instantly, the southern crosswalk on Market and Castro filled up with people coming from both directions, … so, in a nutshell, blammo."
An 80-year-old woman walked that fast?
Condorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-12, 09:32 AM   #14
byte_speed
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorita View Post
An 80-year-old woman walked that fast?
I read that as he was distracted making sure the motorists with the green light didn't get him and when he looked up, the crosswalk was filled with pedestrians. When he then tried to blast through the pedestrians, the 80 year old was the only one not quick enough to avoid him.
byte_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-12, 11:23 AM   #15
John_V 

Bikes: 2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by byte_speed View Post
I read that as he was distracted making sure the motorists with the green light didn't get him and when he looked up, the crosswalk was filled with pedestrians. When he then tried to blast through the pedestrians, the 80 year old was the only one not quick enough to avoid him.
I guess he never heard of brakes? Not many hills here, but I've seen cyclist come down bridges at a very fast speed and have near collisions all the time. It's fun coming down a grade at a fast rate of speed, but you have to be safe while doing it. Regardless, the least charge that he should get is failure to keep a vehicle under control. Charges of vehicular homicide will require some other determining factors. In either case, there is definitely enough civil liability for the family to take him to court.

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
John_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-12, 01:27 PM   #16
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Bikes:
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
This happened on a Saturday night apparently at Fort Street Mall on Hotel Street. That date/time and location make it likely that the cyclist was a homeless person. Less likely would be a utility cyclist. Extremely unlikely are commuter or recreational cyclist.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/1...-bicycle-crash

Fort Street Mall is an old road that has been cobble stoned and turned into a wide pedestrian mall (no bicycles allowed). The pedestrian crosswalk across Hotel Street is 40 feet wide.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fort+S...aii+96813&z=21
(if you do not have an direct overhead view, pull down traffic button and click 45 degree off)

Hotel Street use to be the main Honolulu location for hookers to apply their trade. As I understand it, to move the hookers out of the area, Hotel Street was turned into a bus and bicycle only road. The lights are timed for the buses and when the Fort Street Mall light goes yellow, a cyclist does not have time to make it through the 40 foot crosswalk before the light turns red unless they are doing over 20 mph. The pedestrians often only look for buses and step into the road before their walk signal comes on. Cyclist on Hotel Street have to be extra careful to avoid hitting pedestrians.

Side story: about one month ago I had to ride down the street at about 10 mph, visually surveying environmental issues along Hotel Street. The light turned yellow right as I got to the stop line. I only made it half way through the cross walk before pedestrians stepped out and I had to stop midway in the crosswalk. Out of the corner of my eye I see a 20 something guy coming from the other side of Fort Street Mall intentionally walking right at me. He stops right next to me and gives it “Your blocking the crosswalk”. I simply told him to “Stop being stupid”. My stopped six feet of bicycle was a major issue for him in a 40 foot wide crosswalk, oh well.

A couple blocks down, it is always a challenge to avoid hitting J-walking lawyers crossing Hotel Street between their high rise offices and the court house.

So is this an example of a rouge red light running cyclist killing people - not likely. Is this an example of a cyclist (homeless or not) and pedestrians not using the extra care that this pedestrian crossing needs - yes. Is this another example of the city not properly timing traffic lights to include cyclist and thus endangering everyone - absolutely.

Blame scale:
City 50%
Cyclist 45%
Pedestrian 5%
Old 04-07-12, 01:34 PM   #17
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Bikes:
Quote:

You guys are now confusing a San Francisco death with this thread that happened in Honolulu. Two different stories.
Old 04-07-12, 01:36 PM   #18
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_V View Post
I guess he never heard of brakes? Not many hills here, but I've seen cyclist come down bridges at a very fast speed and have near collisions all the time. It's fun coming down a grade at a fast rate of speed, but you have to be safe while doing it. Regardless, the least charge that he should get is failure to keep a vehicle under control. Charges of vehicular homicide will require some other determining factors. In either case, there is definitely enough civil liability for the family to take him to court.
No hills involved in the Honolulu story that this thread is about.
Old 04-07-12, 05:07 PM   #19
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
Thanks for giving us the full and complete story. A person should not make up there mind to early before knowing all the facts.
Phil85207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-12, 05:37 PM   #20
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
You guys are now confusing a San Francisco death with this thread that happened in Honolulu. Two different stories.
My bad. It's unusual to have two such similar incidents so close together.

Quote:
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-08-12, 02:20 AM   #21
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Bikes:
Quote:
My bad. It's unusual to have two such similar incidents so close together.
Very true. When I saw the thread for the San Francisco death, I thought they got the city wrong until I read the link.
Old 04-08-12, 10:32 AM   #22
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
Very true. When I saw the thread for the San Francisco death, I thought they got the city wrong until I read the link.

I had just seen the S.F incident on Yahoo, and assumed that you were giving a report on it from the Honolulu source. As the Australian saying goes, Assumptions are the mother of all F.U.s

Quote:
Old 04-08-12, 03:30 PM   #23
Wogster

Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
1,000 or so cyclists killed by motorists every year, and they concentrate on the few pedestrians that get hit by bicyclists. When I see what some of the pedestrians do around bicycles, it's a wonder there aren't a lot more collisions. The most common thing I see, people who don't look before they charge across a street, they listen for the cacophony of a motor vehicle, when they don't hear it they charge out. I think hybrid cars take out more then bicycles do every year, because they don't hear those either.
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 07:03 PM   #24
NOS88

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD77 View Post
Run a light or stop sign and kill someone, then it's vehicular homicide. What you are driving or riding doesn't enter into it.
+1 with a few minor modifications. The issue is that a life was lost as a result of the actions of another. The methods or vehicles in use are less important that the fact that laws/rules designed to keep folks safe were violated. One hopes the actions were not intentional, and one hopes that the actions will not repeat themselves by those who tend to mirror them.
Old 04-08-12, 08:48 PM   #25
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
1,000 or so cyclists killed by motorists every year, and they concentrate on the few pedestrians that get hit by bicyclists. When I see what some of the pedestrians do around bicycles, it's a wonder there aren't a lot more collisions. The most common thing I see, people who don't look before they charge across a street, they listen for the cacophony of a motor vehicle, when they don't hear it they charge out. I think hybrid cars take out more then bicycles do every year, because they don't hear those either.
Well, actually, in this case I was rather surprised that it didn't get more coverage. We are a small state with an average of around 50 road fatalities a year, so every one usually gets pretty substantial coverage but this just warranted a few paragraphs buried in the local section. The newspaper coverage will typically say "this was the xxth pedestrian fatality this year versus xx last year" but didn't in this case. So, no, it wasn't a case of more coverage because a bicycle was involved but rather the opposite.

As for the hybrids, those pedestrians are sitting ducks for my Nissan Leaf. Actually, the ducks are sitting ducks ... for some reason I have a lot more close calls with birds when I'm driving the electric car.
akohekohe is offline   Reply With Quote