Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-06-12, 09:27 AM   #1
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: De Rosa Super Prestige, Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
bikeradar.com: Paris-Roubaix bikes

A good read on Paris-Roubaix race bikes;

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/a...evolved-33631/

"For almost the first hundred years of Paris-Roubaix, riders and teams employed a panoply of traditional solutions. Stronger tubes prevented frame failures; slacker angles and longer wheelbases helped to cushion the ride; additional clearances and bigger tires helped keep pinch flats at bay and made for freer running in muddy conditions; and double-wrapped bar tape spared riders' hands".
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Barrettscv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 11:02 AM   #2
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 7
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
then next week the Pros start out on another new bike , again.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 12:27 PM   #3
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Paris Roubaix is one special ride. Only ones to be half as severe is the Tour de Flandres. Special bikes are made- Wheels are special and apparently the tyres. You may bot see the special bikes but a bit of "Suspension" in the frame is required- Wheels have to be very strong but not be rigid and tyre width will be larger than normal.

But it is this Sunday and I hope to watch it live on TV but it will be recorded aswell. One race I do not want to miss any year.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 04:15 PM   #4
gear

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is it true that Trek's new pave road bike named the "Domane" is actually pronounced "dough money"? I hope so as I love irony.

If you only watch one pro bike race all year, Paris / Roubaix is the one to watch. And rain is predicted this Sunday!
gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 04:26 PM   #5
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: De Rosa Super Prestige, Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear View Post
Is it true that Trek's new pave road bike named the "Domane" is actually pronounced "dough money"? I hope so as I love irony.

If you only watch one pro bike race all year, Paris / Roubaix is the one to watch. And rain is predicted this Sunday!
Domane is Italian for tomorrow. It's pronounced dough-ma-knee, with an A in the middle.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Barrettscv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 07:32 PM   #6
badger1

Bikes:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
Domane is Italian for tomorrow. It's pronounced dough-ma-knee, with an A in the middle.
More to the point, it's an obvious anagram for 'Madone' ... marketing uber alles.
badger1 is offline   Reply With Quote