Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tri Bike vs. Road Bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tri Bike vs. Road Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 11:48 AM

Bikes: Felt Z5, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tri Bike vs. Road Bike

I am thinking about a Tri Bike for (Felt B16) for just riding for fitness, instead of my road bike. Any thoughts?
Old 04-06-12, 12:23 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
.They are fit differently from a normal road bike. When you are making power and working hard, you will be so far forward on the saddle that your never going to mistake it for a comfortable ride. Think of the long nose of the tri saddle becoming a an internal part of your anatomy.

The riders head is placed low for aerodynamic reasons. On a normal frame, this closes up the angle between the chest and the thighs restricting breathing. To compensate, a TT bike has the angle of the seat tube rotated forward. This places your body more forward of the pedals and opens up that chest/thigh angle again so you can breath. When you first start to ride one, you may feel like you are laying on your stomach with your feet well behind you.

The front wheel carries more weight than a normal road frame.

The steering when you are on the aero bars is much more sensitive, to the point that without practice, you will be darting from side to side. Imperfections in the road surface will pull and push you around more. Unless you install a third brake lever (they are made for tri bikes but do not serve full braking function) the brake levers will be far away from your hands when you are on the Aero Bars. That's not too bad in a race, but can be a bit of bother in the real world.

The TT bike is designed to make maximun speed with whatever power you bring to the table. That would mean less work for any given speed which may not be what your looking for in the fitness end of things. The tradeoffs are large and you will probably not get more fit.

One last item. They do not work at all well if you're carrying a spare tire. I know.

Last edited by maddmaxx; 04-06-12 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-06-12, 12:27 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Why? What do you expect the tri bike to do for you that the road bike isn't?
Old 04-06-12, 12:30 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Fine if you never want to smell the roses and are prepared to put up with a possibly uncomfortable ride position. Frames are generally stiffer- wheels lighter and stiffer- and ride position may be compromised.

Not always the case as some riders will suit a Tri bike - but a bit too aggressive for most of us for a regular ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-06-12, 12:41 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is there something you don't like about your road bike?
Old 04-06-12, 12:47 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
Why? What do you expect the tri bike to do for you that the road bike isn't?
+1 I can think of many reasons to own a time trial bike but fitness is very low on the list.

Generally, cyclists that want an alternate riding position add clip on aerobars to their road bike. The reason to get a tri or TT bike is to get a lower, more rotated position to improve aerodynamics. Typically, cyclist produce less power in the TT position in the aerobars than on a road bike riding in the drops. The reason is moving the arms in and increasing the hip angle reduce lung capacity and make it more difficult to breathe. Over time, one adapts to the position.

I think TT bikes are fun to ride and I race mine in time trials. Also, it keeps training fresh by offering something different but IMO, fitness is better improved on a road bike where the cyclist can make more power and improve VO2 max.
Old 04-06-12, 01:00 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Fine if you never want to smell the roses and are prepared to put up with a possibly uncomfortable ride position. Frames are generally stiffer- wheels lighter and stiffer- and ride position may be compromised.

Not always the case as some riders will suit a Tri bike - but a bit too aggressive for most of us for a regular ride.
I can smell roses (flowers) anytime I like riding any technology either by stopping or using my keen sense of smell as I zip by. I must admit it is more difficult at an indoor track but sometimes they bring the flowers to you.

My wife on the podium at track worlds with smiles and flowers. Does it get any better?

Old 04-06-12, 01:37 PM
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 115 Posts
My tri bike does one thing well: it goes really fast in a straight line. On lots of curves or hills, it's not as nimble as my road bike. Once I had a good fitting done, it's as comfortable as any of my bikes although your seating position is way different.

One thing to keep in mind is if you ride in traffic, a tri bike probably isn't a good choice. I've done it a few times but I try to avoid it if at all possible. The main reason is that given the shifters are on the ends of the aero bars and the brakes are on the bullhorns it seems like no matter what, my hands are in the wrong place for what I want to do. In traffic I ride on the horns to keep my hands near the brakes, but then I'm always making an awkward reach every time I shift. Not an issue in a race where I have stretches miles-long where I don't touch the brakes and just stay aero and work the shifters.
Old 04-06-12, 01:42 PM

Bikes: Felt Z5, Trek 7100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you answered my question, thanks for the responce. I don't think I will try it!

Last edited by CHAUSE1; 04-09-12 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-06-12, 05:15 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Most Tours around here ban the aero bars if you are thinking of doing a century ride.
Old 04-06-12, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
Most Tours around here ban the aero bars if you are thinking of doing a century ride.
I'm really glad to hear that.