User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

April is the Cruelest Month

Actually, March is pretty cruel, too. At least here in Maine. We came back from a month and a half in the tropics and seemed to have brought the warm weather with us. Last month the day we arrived home it was in the 80s! That's a record breaker for Southern Maine. I thought, great! a whole long season of enjoyable cycling. Not so. Since then it has been in the 30s and 40s and some nasty winds too. Went out yesterday for 14 miles and it was moderately unpainful except for the headwinds coming home. Today with a North wind I just can't seem to muster the enthusiasm for bundling up and facing it again. Guess I will head back to the trainer in the basement.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The midwest had a similar roller coaster ride. March was the kind of March I dream of with warmer than normal weather and several rides. It has dipped back closer to normal but not too bad now. Looking forward to consistently warmer weather while enjoying this here-and-now however I can. As a friend once told me, don't wish your life away. So, I visited different bike shops yesterday and did a little maintenance as well. Kudos for having the fortitude to stay on the trainer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sculptor,

It sounds like you live in The Wasteland. If the weather gets too bad, stay inside and read poetry.
    2011 Felt Q620
    2010 Motobecane Jury fixed gear
    2010 Surly LHT
    1992 Trek 1200
    1977 Schwinn Le Tour II fixed gear

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember riding the other day and thinking "Hey! This supposed to be April, not the beginning of March!" The winds were around 20 something with 30mph gusts.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I freely admit I have no right to comment on this subject.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old adage in the UK used to be March Winds and April Showers. We now have wind at any time of the year- I mean strong winds- and for the last 2 years April and May have been our summer. We have been promised rain for various days in the last week and the next lot is promised for Monday. Haven't had any appreciable rain for over a month and although we have had a few Rain storms where 2" in 2 hours have fallen- we are now officially in drought conditions.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
    I freely admit I have no right to comment on this subject.
    I am with you. It's been hot dry and everything blooming.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    I am with you. It's been hot dry and everything blooming.
    I have a century coming up the 14th. It is supposed rain, maybe, wednesday and maybe friday but I will believe it when I see it.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.