Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching Paris Roubaix

Three hour coverage today. These guys are freaking nuts. I mean they're dropping like flies on the cobbles. Who was the maniac that thought riding as fast as you cold in a pace line on cobbles was a good idea. The Marquis De Sade?

As an older rider, I find such feats well beyond the kind of riding I was aspire to master.
    Last edited by NOS88; 04-09-12 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Making it "age specific".
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just riding a bicycle for 6 hours straight is a challenge that few humans are up to. Riding hard for that period of time has to be nearly impossible. Throw in impossible roads and it ranks up there with putting a man on the moon.

My Bikes
    Old Specialized FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least they don't throw in a mountain or two!!!
    Been chatting to a 14 year old girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those Cobbled farm roads are now a national historic preserve.
    the race itself has been run, since 1896..
    they are a many centuries old, ..
    Roman empire based. paving technology..

stones are reset periodically.

Some of the Belgian spring races Do throw in some steep climbs..
    Ghent Wevelgem sends the rider out 100 miles to the Coast ,
    then they throw in the Kimmelberg, on the way back, twice.

There, going direct, is a Navigational Canal side route
    between Kortrijk and Ghent.
    It is a casual days cruise. I rode that way..
    a friend took me on a day ride to Kimmel, from Ypres, to show me the hill.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 04-08-12 at 09:02 PM.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really fun to watch, wasn't it?

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Just riding a bicycle for 6 hours straight is a challenge that few humans are up to. Riding hard for that period of time has to be nearly impossible. Throw in impossible roads and it ranks up there with putting a man on the moon.
    I have no problem riding for 6 hrs; It's trying to average 27mph that gives me trouble.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was pretty incredible, that speed over those roads.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some pretty good video of historical Paris-Roubaix races on You Tube.

Even riding slow on wet cobbles (really setts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sett_(paving) ) is a challenge

True cobblestone road.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Durockrolly View Post
    At least they don't throw in a mountain or two!!!
    Not mountains, and Paris-Roubaix is fairly flat. Bt the other cobbled classics like the Tour of Flanders include some very severe hills on cobbles. Murder when it is wet, because one tends to lose traction. If a rider goes down in front of you, you're walking because it is impossible to get going again on the hill. On occasion I've seen virtually the whole peloton running up the hill with their bikes on their shoulders.

These are the monuments of the sport. For Flandrians, especially, winning the one-day classics is right up there with the Grand Tours in terms of prestige.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved the race (if you can call what Boonen did to the field a race) but I thought NBCSN's coverage left a lot to be desired. It starts: "OK Tom Boonen is out in front with 20 miles left to go, oh and here are the crashes that happened earlier." So we get the last 20 miles of the race??? Thats like watching the last two minutes of a basketball game. Only someone with no appreciation for the event itself would be satisfied with just the ending. OK folks welcome to the 2012 super bowl, now this is what happened in the last three and a half quarters:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear View Post
    I loved the race (if you can call what Boonen did to the field a race) but I thought NBCSN's coverage left a lot to be desired. It starts: "OK Tom Boonen is out in front with 20 miles left to go, oh and here are the crashes that happened earlier." So we get the last 20 miles of the race??? Thats like watching the last two minutes of a basketball game. Only someone with no appreciation for the event itself would be satisfied with just the ending. OK folks welcome to the 2012 super bowl, now this is what happened in the last three and a half quarters:
    I guess that's the nature of live TV. They stated the race was at least 30 min ahead of the expected pace. Should they go back to showing the race in the evening? They could put together a better show but it would be anti-climatic knowing the winner in advance. I appreciate the efforts involved with bringing the event live to us. The timing won't always work out though.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caught both airings of the race. the later showing was 3 hours and caught a lot of the earlier action that the live showing missed. Boonen absolutely walked away from the peleton and showed his talent in the Pave'. Great race to watch. Tour of Flanders is next Saturday. I hope the mods let 50+ keep this thread for our own discussion this time.

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Tour of Flanders is next Saturday. I hope the mods let 50+ keep this thread for our own discussion this time.
    Hmm. I tend to disagree. There's a perfectly good forum for talking about the pro races, and I don't see any reason for the discussion to be age-specific. In my opinion there's too much discussion in the 41 of issues that aren't road-specific, too much in clydesdales/athenas that isn't size-specific, too much in fifty+ that isn't age-specific.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOS88, Racing on cobblestones is just one of those historic links between the current racers and the racers of yore. For me the fatigue factor goes off the scale after a long stretch of cobblestone, or even brick road riding.

Brad

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    Hmm. I tend to disagree. There's a perfectly good forum for talking about the pro races, and I don't see any reason for the discussion to be age-specific. In my opinion there's too much discussion in the 41 of issues that aren't road-specific, too much in clydesdales/athenas that isn't size-specific, too much in fifty+ that isn't age-specific.
    Then we agree to disagree on this topic. 50+ has always been allowed some latitude in what topics are allowed to stay here due to the nature of the members maturity and how we discuss things here. You can always not click on an off topis thread and then it doesn't have to bother you. Anywho, have a great week and many miles of riding in fair weather, Chasm54.

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then we agree to disagree on this topic. 50+ has always been allowed some latitude in what topics are allowed to stay here due to the nature of the members maturity and how we discuss things here. You can always not click on an off topis thread and then it doesn't have to bother you. Anywho, have a great week and many miles of riding in fair weather, Chasm54.

Bill
    You, too. I'm not trying to start an argument here, I just think it is to the detriment of the forums, and to the quality of discussion, when subjects are discussed in a fragmented manner across a number of forums. It's not as if the under-fifties don't have anything to contribute on the subject.

And in the case of the pro races, there is one very powerful reason for confining the discussion to one place, namely the avoidance of spoilers. I will often avoid going to the pro forum until I have watched the recording of a race. I think I'm entitled to be able to click on other forums without risk of seeing what I have taken some pains to avoid.

My Bikes
    surly LHT, surly CC, trek 5000, paris sport fixie (my 1970 bike...repurposed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dangerous is a relative term. Here's another "good idea":

My Bikes
    Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved watching the race, but I watched it streaming online with one of the commentators being Sean Kelly. In the past couple of years, Universal Sports was an on-the-air broadcast channel, but they went to cable at the first of the year (we don't bother with cable or satellite). I've had to find other ways to watch pro cycling and found so many resources that I've seen all the major spring classics and many of the minor ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand Tommeke's Hammering on the last few pave sections. From what I saw many times he was flirting with disaster, on, possibly over, the edge of control. He had almost a minute and a half, a fall would have put an end to his race. But it was something to watch. Too bad Spartacus wasn't there. THAT would have been something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caught both airings of the race. the later showing was 3 hours and caught a lot of the earlier action that the live showing missed. Boonen absolutely walked away from the peleton and showed his talent in the Pave'. Great race to watch. Tour of Flanders is next Saturday. I hope the mods let 50+ keep this thread for our own discussion this time.

Bill
    Tour of Flanders was held eight days ago, Boonen won that too.

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear View Post
    Tour of Flanders was held eight days ago, Boonen won that too.
    Thanks, I thought maybe I was having a senior moment and had not really watched the Tour of Flanders last week.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed the race and watch it every year. I watched the 3 hour version of the race which had the early sections of the tougher cobblestones. Many racers consider winning Paris Roubaix to be a great achievement including yours truly and like races that are difficult. Races need features that differentiate the competition and provide competitive advantage to those suited for the race. Paris Roubaix favors big powerful men that can ride fast over the cobbles. Boonen did a great job and won in Eddy Merckx fashion by decimating the field. Cancellara did the same thing two years ago.

It was unfortunate that Cancellara broke his collar bone in 4 places at the Tour of Flounders last week and could not participate since he would have provided Boonen competition.

Sylvain Chavanel, Boonen's teammate did a fantastic job leading Boonen through the Forest of Arenberg and decimating the field. I like Chavanel as a pro cyclist and he has won stages in the TdF and is a very tough competitor. It was unfortunate that he flatted.

I found it interesting that many teams copied the tire / wheel selection that Cancellara used in 2010 which is the wider specially made tubular.

I raced a couple of road races that had sections of bad pavement that offers a taste of what the cobbles of Paris Roubaix may be like. However, we rode over them at a more modest 23 mph but it was like a jackhammer on the arms and butt. However, the faster speed seemed better than going slow.

Also, we rode our tandem into Florence, Italy and there were some sections of cobbled streets although smooth by Paris Roubaix standards. It felt sketchy but the weight of the tandem seemed to handle the pavement well.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    You, too. I'm not trying to start an argument here, I just think it is to the detriment of the forums, and to the quality of discussion, when subjects are discussed in a fragmented manner across a number of forums. It's not as if the under-fifties don't have anything to contribute on the subject.

And in the case of the pro races, there is one very powerful reason for confining the discussion to one place, namely the avoidance of spoilers. I will often avoid going to the pro forum until I have watched the recording of a race. I think I'm entitled to be able to click on other forums without risk of seeing what I have taken some pains to avoid.
    Go back and read the original post again. I've addressed your "age specific" concerns. Additionally, there was virtually nothing in the post or the title that would have been a spoiler. Had I wanted to have a discussion with others not frequenting the 50+ segment of the larger discussion choices, I would have posted in other sub forums.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Go back and read the original post again. I've addressed your "age specific" concerns. Additionally, there was virtually nothing in the post or the title that would have been a spoiler. Had I wanted to have a discussion with others not frequenting the 50+ segment of the larger discussion choices, I would have posted in other sub forums.
    Perhaps you should read my original post again. I wasn't criticising this particular thread, I was disagreeing with the suggestion that the mods should leave threads discussing the pro races in forums other than the pro race forum.

Maybe we should have a 50+ discussion about whether the tendency to take unnecessary offence increases with age?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told that in Flemish-Dutch, the paving stones were called
    'the heads of children' for their shape..
    The modern interlocking pavers in NL villages are great.
    No jack-hammers needed for underground utilities maintenance

Society will be back to that, roads of rocks, when burning Asphalt,
    will cost less than getting petroleum out of the ground ..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 04-09-12 at 11:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast