I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duct tape, WD-40, zip ties, and?

Now that I've discovered how easy it is to have an assortment of zip ties around, and how invaluable they are (for example, with my helmet mounted Take A Look mirror), they've been added to my list of indispensables, like duct tape and WD-40.

If it moves and it shouldn't - Duct tape.

If it doesn't move and it should - WD-40.

If it falls off and it shouldn't - zip ties.

What else belongs on this list?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not use duct tape on anything other than ducting and never on my bike. WD40 belongs in a car mechanics garage and zip ties are a necessary evil to hold on devices from manufacturers that lack the imagination to create a better alternative. I miss Steve Jobs and wish I could buy my bikes and all electronics from Apple.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say, I can't think of any circumstances in which I'd be applying duct tape to my bike. I'm not quite so anti-WD40 as is Hermes, though if it's useful, things have been pretty neglected. Zip ties are useful for lots of things.

Personally, my go-everywhere spare is a rear hanger. Ever since I snapped one in a crash and was two days away from a dealer that stocked my brand of bike. A very strong argument for standardisation, but until that happy day, I have one in my saddlepack with my tools.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand your jest about duct tape, WD-40, and zip ties, so in the spirit of things I would say Windex and toilet paper needs to be added to the list.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    I would not use duct tape on anything other than ducting and never on my bike. WD40 belongs in a car mechanics garage and zip ties are a necessary evil to hold on devices from manufacturers that lack the imagination to create a better alternative. I miss Steve Jobs and wish I could buy my bikes and all electronics from Apple.
    You'd need to spend a whole lot more money if this were the case. I do, however, appreciate your sentiments. There seems to be a trend today where many companies will take an idea only so far, without going the distance and paying attention to the details.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gaffer's tape, and 3 in 1 oil are a step up.

add Baling/safety wire.

and for rider 'Ow-ies', gauze bandage pads and ace elastic bandages.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 04-09-12 at 11:00 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    I understand your jest about duct tape, WD-40, and zip ties, so in the spirit of things I would say Windex and toilet paper needs to be added to the list.
    Thank you. Of course I wasn't really suggesting duct tape for bike repairs, etc. Just a list of general repair items for around the house. I like your additions - I use Windex for all kinds of things!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a serious note, I never go anywhere without a pocket knife. (Well, that is expect for commercial flights, and even then, there is one in my checked luggage.) I can think of at least three times while cycling when a pocket knife came in handy. 1. Riding partner went down and had major road rash on his right thigh and his shorts were in shreds. We were able to take his jersey and strap it to his injured hip by cutting and splitting about half a length of bar tape off one side of his handle bars and tying him back together as it were. 2. Rider was wearing shoes with laces that got so badly tangled in her drive train that it seemed almost impossible to get them out. Was able to carefully cut away portions of the shoe lace and still have enough for her to keep her shoe relatively snug for the ride home. 3. I needed to cut a larger boot patch for a sidewall rip in my rear tire than the one I carry in my seat bag. I was more than willing to cut a section of the insoles in my shoe to do the job. The insole was easily replaced later.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found that a small bit of duct tape does wonders in keeping the headlight lens assembly from unscrewing itself from the rest of the headlight when subjected to vibration. It's a pity that there are no SAE specs for bicycle electric systems. Anyhow, I'd also include Loctite in the list.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Thank you. Of course I wasn't really suggesting duct tape for bike repairs, etc. Just a list of general repair items for around the house. I like your additions - I use Windex for all kinds of things!
    I thought this was a cycling forum. Well, we all make mistakes.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another handy item to have around the house is super glue and 5 Minute epoxy.

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah but then you could only ride your bike on approved roadways (apps) and you would have to buy parts at an iBike shop... and there may only be one in your city.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this was a cycling forum. Well, we all make mistakes.
    Apparently, the mistake is mine. I was just offering a light-hearted post. I guess I should have flagged it OT. Sorry to ruffle your feathers!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best reason I can think of for Duct tape is to repair tire gashes. I keep a bit of Duct tape wrapped around every one of my different bike pumps just for this reason... Oh sure the old dollar bill trick works... if you remember to carry a dollar bill... what if all you have is twenties, from the last ATM visit?

A couple of layers of duct tape inside the tire at the location of any serious cut can help you limp home a pretty good distance. That fully justifies Duct Tape on my bike.

WD-40 is for the chain of that good looking lady that you happen to see squeaking down the same road in the same direction as you. Otherwise, it really isn't that great a lubricant.

A good multi-tool and a patch kit will round out the list nicely.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Velcro straps. Gotta love Velcro. Oh! And a pair of long shoelaces to tie your rolled up jacket to your saddle or saddlebag when it starts to warm up on your ride.
    Last edited by John_V; 04-09-12 at 12:07 PM.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently, the mistake is mine. I was just offering a light-hearted post. I guess I should have flagged it OT. Sorry to ruffle your feathers!
    My feathers are fine and do not get ruffled at all. If you or others want to dilute the cycling content of the forum, and the mods and owners do not care, I am fine with it. Quite frankly, I thought the subject matter had something to do with your frustration with, ahem, the mirror problem. I think "stuff" we buy should work well and have great design at the onset.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    Best reason I can think of for Duct tape is to repair tire gashes. I keep a bit of Duct tape wrapped around every one of my different bike pumps just for this reason... Oh sure the old dollar bill trick works... if you remember to carry a dollar bill... what if all you have is twenties, from the last ATM visit?

A couple of layers of duct tape inside the tire at the location of any serious cut can help you limp home a pretty good distance. That fully justifies Duct Tape on my bike.
    When I was teaching tire repair classes I used to tell people that it's better to use a $20 than a $1.00. Either one is just a temporary repair. If you've used a $20.00 you're more likely to do a permanent repair when you get home.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Gaffer's tape . . .
    +1 on the Gaffer tape. Enough people have discovered the many virtues of a tape that adheres pretty well and easily removes leaving little or no residue behind that it's even available now in some home improvement and hardware stores.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not use duct tape on anything other than ducting and never on my bike...
    You can use it on ductwork??? Who knew?
    I wouldn't stick it on any part of my bike or anything painted, but it's awfully handy for damaged tires, tents, sleeping bags, raingear, panniers and the like. I like the flat-packed precut squares instead of a bulky roll.

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goop (works great for sticking mirrors to helmets) and I've given up Windex in favor of windshield washer fluid as it works at least as well and is around $1 a gallon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small-diameter bungee cord.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4. A good safeword...
    Everybody's got plans... until they get hit.
    - Mike Tyson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plastic grocery bags. They are good for covering your Brooks saddle, stashing anything that needs to stay dry, and even work as emergency booties. They can be easily carried on a bike and are practically weightless.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was gonna say baling wire but someone beat me to it.

Super glue?
    more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What else belongs on this list?
    You live in San Diego with the Navy and Marines there, you should know...

If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. If you can't pick it up, paint it.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast