User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50+ Centurions

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50+ Centurions

From the responses to DGlenday's thread on what is a decent 100 mile time for riders over 50, it's clear that many in this forum ride centuries quite often, and that others aspire to do so in the future. I think that's impressive, and that it might be nice to have a thread where people posted the details of these rides. Fast or slow, it doesn't matter; they're all a cause for celebration.

I haven't completed one yet this year, but I'll start the ball rolling with my most recent:

Distance: 128 miles
    Elevation gain: 6492 feet
    Riding time: 7:36:31
    Total time: 8:38:00 (long lunch!)
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do 100 miles on some solo training rides, but this is the only organized century so far this year. I did it with a small group, where a couple of other guys and I shared the pulling... then they dropped me when I faded at the end!

Casa Grande Century: 1/8/2012
    Distance: 102 miles
    Gain: 909' (Flat!)
    Riding Time: 5:15
    Elapsed: 6:15 (BBQ at turnaround point)
    Avg Moving Speed: 19.3
    Avg Cadence: 84
    Avg Watts: 196
    Total Work: 3,712 kj
    Last edited by AzTallRider; 04-10-12 at 03:12 PM.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did a flat one two years ago. It's funny, but I remember being in a paceline in which one member had a very noisy chain. By mile 80 i was thinking bad thoughts about cyclists who don't take proper care of their bikes.

Anyway, I'd have to get on the home computer to check the details. The key is I'd rather to a flat Imperial century than a hilly metric.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TDPS 2-11-12
    Distance 104 Mi.
    Elevation Gain 2869
    Total Time 8:20:46

First 15 miles into a 20-40 knot wind and that was where most of the elevation gain was.

This Saturday I am set up for my second century this year. 110.8 miles with 2417 elevation gain. It may rain so time might be moot. Just finishing will be the challenge.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not done many road centuries on the road bike but did quite a few on the MTB. I got into enduros and they were good fun---Afterwards. 100 miles offroad is not much fun by mile 80. Luckily I came to my senses in 2006 after one horrific one with gale force winds on wet clay trails and got a road bike. Still have enough sense to say the Metrics are comfortable and further is not.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    I haven't completed one yet this year, but I'll start the ball rolling with my most recent:

Distance: 128 miles
    Elevation gain: 6492 feet
    Riding time: 7:36:31
    Total time: 8:38:00 (long lunch!)
    Sound more like a 200km brevet that a "century"..?

Splitting hairs, I know, but do we count 160km permanent or a 200km brevet as a "century"? I'd vote yes.

I've only done 2 centuries, but 2 weekends ago I did a 200km brevet (aka randonee) with almost 10,000 feet of climbing. It was the longest distance I'd ever ridden. Finished in 9:58. Terrible time, I know, but I have a long list of excuses - starting with "I stink at hills"!

This weekend I'll be doing a fleche - 230 miles over 24 hours. But the pace will be deliberately slow. Should be a lot of fun!
    Regards,
    Duncan

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGlenday View Post
    Splitting hairs, I know, but do we count 160km permanent or a 200km brevet as a "century"?
    LOL. We play cricket over here. Any batsman who scores over 100 in a single innings is described as a "centurion". Quaint, I know, but somehow "breveteer" doesn't have the same ring.

Anyway, however you want to define it, let's agree that any ride of 100 miles or over qualifies for inclusion in this thread.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGlenday View Post
    Sound more like a 200km brevet that a "century"..?

Splitting hairs, I know, but do we count 160km permanent or a 200km brevet as a "century"? I'd vote yes.

I've only done 2 centuries, but 2 weekends ago I did a 200km brevet (aka randonee) with almost 10,000 feet of climbing. It was the longest distance I'd ever ridden. Finished in 9:58. Terrible time, I know, but I have a long list of excuses - starting with "I stink at hills"!

This weekend I'll be doing a fleche - 230 miles over 24 hours. But the pace will be deliberately slow. Should be a lot of fun!
    I think it is the support part that is differnt from a Brevet and a Century, Ultra century, double century, and endurance race. as I understad it a Brevet has to be self supported.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)
    My Bikes
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You all are awesome, my last and ONLY, "Century Ride" was In 1984!!!! To those that have one planned for this year, may you have SUCCESS!

Last edited by bjjoondo; 04-10-12 at 05:08 PM.
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB, converted to a "comfort bike"! :)

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden 5 centuries and one double century so far this year, with all the details provided in the prev. noted thread.

One coming up this weekend should be challenging. It's even called the Mulholland Challenge and takes place in the Santa Monica Mountains. There is a 12 hour time limit for the 112 miles with 12,750 feet of climbing. Last time I rode it (several years ago) my time was 8 Hours, 38 minutes.

Hopefully I can come close to that on Saturday. Weather is predicted to be cold (low of 32 deg.F) with a high of only 63 deg.F, so that should be good for me. I would rather ride in much warmer weather, but I go faster in cooler weather, for some reason unknown to me.

Here's a link for anyone wanting further details: http://www.planetultra.com/MulChallenge/index.htm

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Bacchetta CA2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    I do 100 miles on some solo training rides, but this is the only organized century so far this year. I did it with a small group, where a couple of other guys and I shared the pulling... then they dropped me when I faded at the end!

Casa Grande Century: 1/8/2012
    Distance: 102 miles
    Gain: 909' (Flat!)
    Riding Time: 5:15
    Elapsed: 6:15 (BBQ at turnaround point)
    Avg Moving Speed: 19.3
    Avg Cadence: 84
    Avg Watts: 196
    Total Work: 3,712 kj
    I did that one also but not as fast of course. I also did these:

2012 annual total=1100 km
    ACPB 300 2012/02/04
    ACPB 200 2012/02/18
    ACPB 400 2012/03/10
    ACPB 200 2012/03/24

There's a 600 on Sat - winds are forecast to be 20+ with gusts in the 30's. I'll simply do the best I can and go as far as possible. Just not sure what I want on my Tombstone.
    Cheers, Gerry
    gerryelam.wordpress.com

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    LOL. We play cricket over here. Any batsman who scores over 100 in a single innings is described as a "centurion". Quaint, I know, but somehow "breveteer" doesn't have the same ring.
    Oh - I'm intimately familiar with cricket! (Didn't grow up in the USA).
    Regards,
    Duncan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wind up doing 4 or 5 centuries per year: one or two are "organized" (sic) rides, one is usually the graduation ride for the 12-week cycling skills series I coach, and a couple are just either accidental or training rides leading up to one of the aforementioned.

To be honest, I don't really enjoy centuries all that much; I've found that my ideal cycling distance for a single day's ride is ~75-80 miles...less than that and I feel like I missed an opportunity, but more than that and I feel like I'm just a little too desperate in my search for nirvana. But right around 75-80 miles, man, that's perfect!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll do a metric at the drop of a hat, but centuries take a little more preparation. I rode 4 centuries last year and hope to do about 6 this year. The first one of this year was this past Saturday and I'm planning to ride one weekend after next.

Stats for the recent ride:

distance: 102.6 miles
    elevation gain : 2136 ft.
    riding time: 6:44
    total time: 8:10 (lots of socializing at rest stops)
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Lots
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long Distance Cycling ... Long Distance Forum

In the Long Distance Forum ...
    http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...urance-Cycling ...
    which caters to cyclists of all ages ... there are two Century threads (for 100 miles and longer).

Century-A-Month: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...y-A-Month-Club
    This is for cyclists who ride at least one century (100 miles or more) in each month of the year, starting in January. If you haven't already started riding centuries this year, you've missed out on this one, but you can start planning for next year.

Century Challenge: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...tury-Challenge
    This one is for cyclists who just want to ride one, two, or more centuries (100 miles or more) this year. All of you are welcome to post your centuries there as you do them. Let's see how many centuries you all can do!

There's also a Double Century thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...p-Longer-Rides)
    This is for cyclists who want to push themselves a bit further than 100 miles ... for cyclists who want to take on 200+ miles all in one go.

There are lots of other long distance challenges in the Long Distance forum ... go take a look, and feel free to participate. Post your centuries! Remember ... the Long Distance forum is for anyone, of any age, who wants to ride long distances.

And now, there's a new "Tips for riding a Century" sticky in the Long Distance forum for cyclists who have ridden several centuries to pass along advice to those who are just getting into it.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did 24 100+ rides last year. I'm ahead of that pace this year because of the great weather we had this winter. I've done 5 so far this year.

What I haven't done is any really long rides. My longest was last year at 118 miles. Longest this year is 110.
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did a Century at the end of last year. But the hardest ride is coming up in June: Garrett County Maryland Gran Fondo: Metric Century with 8,000 feet of climbing. Wanna do the full century? Get ready for 13,000 feet!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Machka View Post
    There's also a Double Century thread
    That reminds me: A friend of mine used to lead an annual "Double Half Century" ride every June 20th (longest day of the year). 50 mile ride before work in the morning, another 50 mile ride after work in the evening. I might have to urge him to resume that tradition.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was stilll in my fifties (that's 30 years ago!) I rode several double centuries.
    My goal was to do it in 12 hours. Finally achieved my goal and quit riding doubles.
    Pedal on!
    Rudy/zontandem

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    12 so far this year
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't done one since last year but will be doing one next week for the MS 150. Several 100K rides, however, since Jan. 1.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completed one century this year in the Gran Fondo Texas. I have done many metric centuries this year. I am hopeful I can complete another century in the 2012 Ride the Rockies in June. I doubt if I will do any more this year as I only get motivated for them when they are part of some event. I did my first century on my 61st birthday in the Hotter n Hell Hundred, which wasn't as hot as most. It was 106 deg F when I did 110 km in the Cape Argus Cycle Tour in March.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    When I was stilll in my fifties (that's 30 years ago!) I rode several double centuries.
    My goal was to do it in 12 hours. Finally achieved my goal and quit riding doubles.
    Pedal on!
    You're an inspiration, Rudy. I've never done an Imperial double century, I may get round to it before I get to your age.

Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    12 so far this year
    Four century rides per month, or nearly. Do you have a target for the year or does it just happen when you feel like it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did a few Imperial centuries way back when - Santa Fe, Hard Scrabble, Elephant Rock, a portion of the Ride the Rockies, and many metrics, but no more. I don't enjoy them and have absolutely NO desire to do any more. But, my hat is off to you folks who do enjoy them, and two hats off to the double century folks.

My Bikes
    Mercier Galaxy as my daily commuter.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing the Elephant Rock Metric in June and then the Deer Creek Challenge Century in August. I completed several metric century's and a full century last year but to be honest the full century was mostly down hill. We started at the top of Independence Pass and rode from there. I like to keep most of my rides between 65 to 75 miles.
    Jay B
    2010 Merceir Galaxy/2011 Bianchi Via Nirone 7
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1/exercise.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast