Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Tread thickness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tread thickness

Today I replaced a 'squared off" Gator HardShell with close to 2300 miles with a new one. Didn't figure that another 15%-20% of mileage would be worth an episode or two of standing beside the road while replacing a tube.

Using a micrometer I measured the thickness of the old and new tire and found that the old tire is .102" thick at the contact point and the new is .144. Assuming typical Germanic consistency (Continental Tire), the tire was mostly clapped out with a tread wear of 42 thousandths of an inch (.042"). And that's a relatively heavy tire!

Not much tread on these tires. And they say to replace your car tire when it gets to the thickness of a penny. That's about triple the tread depth of a new bike tire.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bike tires do not hydroplane, and, for a road bike, no "tread" is necessary. In fact, many believe a smooth tire with no tread performs better, including "traction".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Bike tires do not hydroplane, and, for a road bike, no "tread" is necessary. In fact, many believe a smooth tire with no tread performs better, including "traction".
    Sorry, didn't make myself clear, didn't mean tread per se but rubber covering over the tire cords.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you did the right smart thing changing when you did. Some people like to squeeze the last mile out of a tire and could wind up on the side of the road with a blow out and have to boot the tire to get back. You could ask me how I know. LOL.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welllll, I always ride mine down till the cords start showing, pretty much. The last tire I replaced hadn't quite gotten down to the cords when it got a ~3/8" cut in the sidewall on a recent ride. Drat.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm convinced that when we're all dead and gone, victims of the Zombie Apocalypse, that my Schwalbe Marathon tires will still have plenty of tread on them.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may be over-thinking this tire replacement thing. I buy top quality tires, then run them into the ground or until they are not reasonable to ride due to cuts. If I haven't had a problem with cuts, I ride them until the first signs of the casing begining to show.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thinner the rubber and the easier it is for "Foreign objects to penetrate. Never measured the depth left on tyres when I change them but they feel pretty thin when I do. Just got rid of a couple of NEW OM tyres that came on the Pinnie as the amount of rubber on them from new was less than I would have on a used tyre when it is discarded. Reason for getting them off the bike was 2 punctures in one ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose the engineer gene in me is what makes me change tires as you do Tom. I use visual inspections for daily judgement, looking for cuts early on, and later measure them when I service the wheel set. I can't ride a really worn tire to save me. they don't cost much and I really hate walking and/or carrying a bicycle.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    I suppose the engineer gene in me is what makes me change tires as you do Tom. I use visual inspections for daily judgement, looking for cuts early on, and later measure them when I service the wheel set. I can't ride a really worn tire to save me. they don't cost much and I really hate walking and/or carrying a bicycle.

Bill
    +1

Peace of mind is worth much more to me than riding an extra 500 miles on an "iffy" tire.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, to each their own I suppose.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy tires on sale and have extras around. The less thread, the greater the chance of flats. So I replace them probably well before I really need to but I also had only one flat in the last year.

Some tires get superficial cuts easily like Michelin, Conti, and a few models Specialized. These really don't do anything and mostly are related to the softer compound.

BTW, I use mostly Conti GP 4000 and they have wear indicator holes on the thread.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.