User Tag List

My Bikes
    2010 Cannondale T1, 1998 Specialized FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New B17 Narrow Saddle

I've got a singlespeed road bike that I picked up in February for fun. I wanted something a little different from my Specialized FSR mountain bike and my Cannondale T1 tourer. It is a cheap bike and I have been changing out a few parts to fit me better. The frame is a generic white job with a very nice road bike ride with something of a gentleman's sport ride (if I can describe it that way). I've been very pleased so far.

The saddle was something of a plastic mountain bike affair and it wasn't all that bad. However, it wasn't great and I was starting to notice that my 57 year old butt was not sitting on a Lazy Boy sofa after about an hour of riding. The breaking in of a plastic saddle is completed at the factory so I knew that the ride would not get any better than it was.

I've got a Selle Antatomica on my Cannondale and although it is an excellent saddle, I wasn't prepared to literally invest half the price of the bike on another one. The compromise is a new Brooks B17 narrow. I installed it tonight and just took a quick spin around the block to see if I got the initial setup close. Pretty nice. You definitely sit on your sit bones with this saddle and it is quite firm. But the nice thing about leather is that you can look forward to a breaking in period that should result in a comfortable ride. Only time will tell. Al

B17 001.jpg

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good looking saddle!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You chose a really nice saddle with that Brooks B17N. I have a B 17 that my son is using on the old R500 and it is one nice saddle, very comfortable. Just don't get carried away with the nose tension bolt. Tighten only when needed and use the Proofhide carefully. the brown looks good!

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good! Many happy miles to ya!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    back plate on the Pro is Arched , As I have observed.. the 17 is flat-ish.
    have a 30 and a 20 year old Brooks PRO

Put a Fizik Vitesse on, instead, [CP3]
    so I don't worry about it getting wet when I lock it up, outside, on the bike,
    and have a few pints

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one of a number of leather saddles I have owned over the years. All of the others have left me when I've sold the bike. The key to having a long and productive relationship with a leather saddle is to keep it reasonably dry and do just enough maintenance to keep the leather in good condition. Al

My Bikes
    Mercier Galaxy as my daily commuter.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many people tried to warn me away from Brooks because of the supposedly long break in time. I didn't listen and I'm glad. Mine is starting to feel quite nice after about 300 hundred miles.
    Jay B
    2010 Merceir Galaxy/2011 Bianchi Via Nirone 7
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1/exercise.png

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B17 Narrow Update

I just thought I would give a short update after taking my singlespeed road bike for a 20 Km spin this afternoon. The B17 was much more comfortable than it had a right to be given that it is brand new. There were no pressure spots to report and given that it is narrower than the plastic saddle it replaced I found it to be very comfortable to ride in the drops.

I've included some photos that might be of interest to those looking for a nice set of road bars and a leather saddle. The first is of the FSA Omega Compacts on my singlespeed. Red bar tape is a must if you want to go fast. The second is a photo of a naked set of the same type of bar on my Cannondale T1. I got the notion that bullhorns and aero bars would be the hot setup on my touring bike. Ah - not so much!!! I'm just waiting for a set of Tektro road brake levers to come in so that I can put my Cannondale back on the road. The next picture is of the saddle that the B17 replaced. It's actually not a bad seat but wasn't really meant for riding the drops or significant distance. And finally my Selle touring saddle. It came with my T1. It's a nice saddle but I wouldn't pay the money to buy an exact replacement.

Safe riding. Al

B17 Test 001.jpgB17 Test 002.JPGB17 Test 003.jpgB17 Test 004.jpg

My Bikes
    Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like mine. Love it.
    Trek 7.5 FX

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trek 7.5 FX

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Nichols View Post
    Is it the camera angle or is the nose on that seat really high?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Is it the camera angle or is the nose on that seat really high?
    I think that part of the problem with making a bike seat work has to do with setup. I would speculate that a number of otherwise good seats have been swapped out for lack of a minor adjustment. Bob is getting a good ride with the saddle set this way combined with the flat bars. I've no doubt that he would have to change the saddle position if he decided to try a set of road bars on his bike. The saddle on my singlespeed is more or less level because I am using road bars and don't mind riding the drops. If I changed over to flat bars, raising the nose of the saddle would be required to keep me from sliding off the front of the saddle. Al

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt I could make it even one mile with the nose of the saddle in that position!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I doubt I could make it even one mile with the nose of the saddle in that position!
    I guess I would have to try the bike to see. Different strokes for different folks. Al

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flat bars are similar to riding the flats on road bars IMHO. I don't think I'd find that position good for nether region comfort.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Altbark View Post
    I think that part of the problem with making a bike seat work has to do with setup. I would speculate that a number of otherwise good seats have been swapped out for lack of a minor adjustment. Bob is getting a good ride with the saddle set this way combined with the flat bars. I've no doubt that he would have to change the saddle position if he decided to try a set of road bars on his bike. The saddle on my singlespeed is more or less level because I am using road bars and don't mind riding the drops. If I changed over to flat bars, raising the nose of the saddle would be required to keep me from sliding off the front of the saddle. Al
    Al is right.
    Trek 7.5 FX

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have that problem at all on my Fuji Absolute 1.0 hybrid, which is very similar to your Trek 7.5 FX in terms of frame design and handlebar setup. I have my seat set to perfectly level.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I don't have that problem at all on my Fuji Absolute 1.0 hybrid, which is very similar to your Trek 7.5 FX in terms of frame design and handlebar setup. I have my seat set to perfectly level.
    That's great for you Tom. They make seat posts adjustable so that the seat can be adjusted for the rider's individual preference. Surely you wouldn't suggest that seats must be set level in order to be right. You ride a different bike than him. You are no doubt a different shape and size. More importantly, he would appear to be happy with the ride. This is not to suggest that adjustments can't or shouldn't be made to improve performance. However, I would suggest that unless an individual is setting up a bike for performance at the highest levels, then comfort and ride ability become very important goals. Afterall, pain and suffering shouldn't be the primary goals for daily riding. Al

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nose up is a common set up for Brooks saddles.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Altbark View Post
    That's great for you Tom. They make seat posts adjustable so that the seat can be adjusted for the rider's individual preference. Surely you wouldn't suggest that seats must be set level in order to be right. l
    I agree 100%. I was just making a comment.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool!