Thread: Cycling Shoes

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cycling Shoes

I've got a pair of Specialized shoes that I've been using for about 4 years. They've been a good pair of shoes and I've been thinking of another pair of Specialized for that reason. So, I did a little investigating and found a pair with cf soles and BOA closure that retails for $150. At the end of the season they can be had on the Specialized site for about $120. A friend of mine (and a much better cyclist than I am) swears by Sidi's. But, even with a nice discount they will cost $200 or more. Just wondering what experiences with brands and features some of you might have had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to a store. Try on shoes. Buy shoes that fit.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    whatever fits into the toe clips and straps......
    Bud

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like my Specialized BG Pro shoes, but they are MTB shoes. I haven't worn any other shoes, but I will be open to suggestions when it's time to get new shoes. Whatever I buy, they will be SPD compatible.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 200 dollar shoes weigh the slightest bit less than the 90 dollar ones. Get the ones that fit the best. I have found that sizes vary from brand to brand and sometimes year to year in the same brand. Good luck.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend getting the Sidis.... Live a little! (depends on how short of moolah you are of course)

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As said previously, fit and comfort is most important. I have a pair of 10 year old Specialized Sport shoes. Very comfortable. I'll probably replace them with the current version when I wear them out.
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through a number of styles and brands of shoes when I started road biking. Finally bit the bullet, which means I paid the price for a pair of Sidi. Never looked back. The best.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty new at this sport, so I balance cost, fit and features.

My current shoes are Specialized Pro Road shoe. I got these for a great deal last year for $100. My normal shoe size is 10 1/2 EE and these in 45 fit my feet great, I've been very happy with this shoe.

But I'd like to get another set of shoes for switching off when riding on consecutive days. I've looked at a number of shoes and tried on a few, and so far, I'm thinking about buying Specialized again. So I'll be very interested to see what other people recommend.

Something else to consider. A friend at work who's been road cycling for years thought the $100 Specialized were to expensive. He said that he never paid more then $60 dollars for cycling shoes and has never had a single problem. And he has duck feet. Just something to consider......

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    What!? They have to fit? Sounds like a Jersey Boy thing to me.

Hackensack HS....Class of '64

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wearing a pair of Specialized BG shoes for four years. A pair of Shimano and a pair of Sidis sit collecting dust. Having a relatively high arch and fairly wide foot, the Specialized just work better for me. While size is an extremely important consideration, so is foot structure and shape.
    Last edited by NOS88; 04-15-12 at 08:26 AM.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro, Fisher HKEK, Spec. Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me the Shimano womens shoes fit best. I sold my Sidi's and gave away my Specialized. YMMV.
    The Monkeywrangler's Blog
    2007 Bachetta Giro 26/700c - The Yellow Peril!
    Fisher HKEK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sidi shoes will be a bit more narrow in the standard width than the Specialized. At least that is what I have found. Chances are the Specialized will be stiffer and lighter too at the same price point. Why change something that works?
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SiDi is still made in Italy,, the Mega range from them is made for wider feet.

in the middle sizes SiDi half sizes the European sizes too. so ideal fit is achievable.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cycling shoe is the Specialized "Expert Road" model. I couldn't be happier with it. It was pricey--it approaches the Sidi's in price, at least when purchased from an LBS as I did--but it has worked out very well for me.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you cannot afford Sidi's--Then do not even go to a shop that sells them. You have to try shoes of course as you have to find a pair that is comfortable. If you try on a pair of sidi's in the size that fits--Then you will be buying them. You may even buy them in "White" as in some models- that is the only colour they make but With the comfort they give- you won't even worry about that.

And Ex Mountain Biker here still using SPD's and occasional Mountain biking so I bought Adidas for the Sole that I can walk in.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best shoes are Bontrager RXL which I bought for $75 from a friend whose wife bought Sidi's for him. I have a pair of Shimano road shoes I paid around $200 for (I went to a Sidi dealer but they didn't have my size) but I like the Bontragers better.
    Red, like the color my hair used to be.

Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear mtb shoes because I like to be able to walk normally. I love my Mavic Razors, and have another pair of Mavics that I can't remember the name of, but they fit well too.
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    SiDi is still made in Italy,, the Mega range from them is made for wider feet.

in the middle sizes SiDi half sizes the European sizes too. so ideal fit is achievable.
    The last is still constructed for a pointy foot, regardless of width. The do not suit many people, although many people jam their non-pointy feet into them.

See: http://www15.plala.or.jp/miagolare/E...ing_Chart.html
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My shoe is Specialized Tahoe, Only eighty dollars and very comfortable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a narrow foot with a high-arch. After my Pearl Izumi shoes wore out last year, I went looking for a new pair. PI changed its last, so they no longer fit me. Bought a pair of Sidi Dominators, but they were too wide across the ball of the foot (they were made in Romania, not Italy). I ended up buying a pair of Serfas--sort of an entry-level brand, but they *fit well* even though they're a bit heavy. Then Giro came out with a new line of shoes last year. I tried them on and fell in love with the fit but at $200+ I was waiting, and waiting, and waiting, for them to go on sale. This year, Giro came out with the Privateer. Same last as the others (I wear mtn. bike shoes) but a bit less expensive. Bought a pair and love them. So I now use the Serfas for commuting and the Giros for my out-all-day mtn and road biking.

It *is* all about fit.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using LG road shoes for a couple of years without issue. Yesterday at about 40 mi on my 63 mi ride, the ball of my foot started hurting. I suspect I will be buying Specialized Expert road shoes as I had good luck with their shoes in the past. I like the concept of the BOA on the Expert. The Pro, which is the next step up, has the ratcheting top buckle. The top of the line S-Works also has BOA and a really high price.

The downside to Specialized anything is difficulty in finding deals.

When I bought the LG's I tried on Shimano's and Sidi's. I like the fit of the LG's better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedC View Post
    My best shoes are Bontrager RXL which I bought for $75 from a friend whose wife bought Sidi's for him. I have a pair of Shimano road shoes I paid around $200 for (I went to a Sidi dealer but they didn't have my size) but I like the Bontragers better.
    I have the Bontrager RL shoes which, like yours, are carbon soled.

While shopping for shoes my LBS guy said try these Bontrager RL shoes. I was very doubtful and then very surprised when I got them on and they were/are very comfortable.
    2012 Trek 5.2 Madone
    1985 Raleigh Olympian

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a timely thread. I've got a seam going on my inexpensive Lake shoes. I'm looking for a 2-bolt, road-like shoe; important to have an SPD-compatible walking shoe on the tandem. I need a decent size toe box. It's hard to find an LBS with a decent selection. My tandem shop has a very large helmet, clothing, etc. selection, but for some reason has cut back on the shoes they carry.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went wild at the end of last year and decided to get an expensive pair of road shoes. Looked and Sidi and Specialized S work pros. Both were over $300.00 bucks but the LBS owner was a friend so he made me a deal on the SWorks. The shoe is feather light and the heal pads are replaceable. I take a wider toe box with my, according to the chart, Egyption looking foot, the Sworks fit better and had a stiffer sole. However I also still like my Shimano SH R 131 S.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast