Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Endorphins? Or am I just weird? Or..... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/811291-endorphins-am-i-just-weird.html)

david58 04-14-12 06:26 PM

Endorphins? Or am I just weird? Or.....

Traveling again, but this time rented a bike.

Went on the shop ride today, 25 miles just shy of an 18 pace. Wimpy, I know, but what a joy it was to get on the bike and RIDE on this road trip! I really hate being away from home, but the anticipation and the ride and the afterglow have made today a first rate day!

I find out every day I get on my bicycle just how much it benefits me to ride - and instead of regretting the 25 years I didn't ride I look forward to riding until they wheel me off to the old folks home (in fact, a ride in November starts and finishes at said old folks home, converted to a funky hotel and bar in Oregon).

I get to ride another 40 tomorrow, and maybe two or three 25+ in the evenings during the week depending on weather (folks don't ride in the rain here in Alabama). Wow.

Again, I am just amazed how my attitude is changed by being able to ride. It isn't just the exercise, but from the first spin of the crank I feel like I am free of the daily crap and am getting to eat up the fun.

Am I just weird, or does it work like this for you guys and gals too?

TheHen 04-15-12 12:18 AM

Any day I don't ride, and they are few, is like a lost day. I feel somewhat poisoned if I don't get my "fix", whether on a fixed, tandem or some other steed from the stable. I don't know how you were able to handle twenty-five years without cycling. You must have a much tougher psyche than I do.

By the way, very few folks ride in the rain here in OR either. If there is even a threat of drizzle, roads that I would see thirty other cyclists on in sunshine are completely void of cyclists. Even the in-town bike paths are empty of everything but dogs and puddles. If I do happen upon a cyclist in the rain, he/she is invariably someone from CA for whom the joys of wet riding are still a new-found pleasure. Or maybe they just became addicted to riding while living in a place with 275 days of sunshine like I did and cannot let a bit of water get in the way of a "fix".

DnvrFox 04-15-12 06:06 AM

Bicycling, swimming, walking, working out, stretching - it is all good. If I don't do something during the day, I will not sleep at night, and start getting grumpy (my wife might say "grumpier").

My body gets "acclimated" to having a high level of physical activity, and I need to get that fix daily.

OldsCOOL 04-15-12 06:07 AM

Yup, same here and probably quite common among cyclists.

I dont ride in the rain or sub-45deg weather so I get grumpy if it's a ride day and the weather isnt cooperating.

berner 04-15-12 06:46 AM

You are becoming addicted. This is a good thing. We are evolved for physical activity and it makes us happy.

Barrettscv 04-15-12 06:59 AM

If I'm cycling, I feel healthy and that I control both my time and my life. If I'm off the bike due to work or other duties, I feel like someone else is controlling my time.

Life is short, so I try to spend it wisely.

Is that an addiction, or just good time management?

NOS88 04-15-12 07:01 AM

Endorphins? Or am I just weird?

I'm not sure they are mutually exclusive. ;)

cruisintx 04-15-12 07:39 AM

"Endorphins? Or am I just weird? Or..... "

Endorphins literally translated means the morphine within. They are reeased during exercise. So no, you are not weird; just hooked on your internally and naturally generated addictive drug. Keep up the good work!

david58 04-15-12 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by TheHen (Post 14099180)
Any day I don't ride, and they are few, is like a lost day. I feel somewhat poisoned if I don't get my "fix", whether on a fixed, tandem or some other steed from the stable. I don't know how you were able to handle twenty-five years without cycling. You must have a much tougher psyche than I do.

By the way, very few folks ride in the rain here in OR either. If there is even a threat of drizzle, roads that I would see thirty other cyclists on in sunshine are completely void of cyclists. Even the in-town bike paths are empty of everything but dogs and puddles. If I do happen upon a cyclist in the rain, he/she is invariably someone from CA for whom the joys of wet riding are still a new-found pleasure. Or maybe they just became addicted to riding while living in a place with 275 days of sunshine like I did and cannot let a bit of water get in the way of a "fix".

Man, our club here is rain or shine. I beg off on the freezing fog days, but a set of fenders for winter rides is required - and I have had some really fun rides in the rain. I usually don't let the rain keep me off my bike for the commute - ice or a rain/wind combo will put me behind the steering wheel, but plain old rain is just, well, plain old rain.

Of my closest riding friends, when it rains I have trouble getting them to go out and ride the road with me - instead, they've packed up their mtbs and have headed for the woods.

JanMM 04-15-12 08:16 AM

You're having way too much fun riding. You could probably talk with a professional about this. Or just keep riding.

miss kenton 04-15-12 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Barrettscv;14099559[B
]If I'm cycling, I feel healthy and that I control both my time and my life. If I'm off the bike due to work or other duties, I feel like someone else is controlling my time.
[/B]

This is how I feel, but I will add that the endorphin release is wonderful and makes me feel that all is right in my little world.

Bikey Mikey 04-15-12 02:01 PM

Nope, not weird.

I've ridden in 22ºF(-5.6ºC) with a wind chill of 12ºF, but I don't ride the rain. I may invest in a trainer so I can ride in the garage if it's raining or snowing--heck, I'll likely get carpal tunnel release in my left hand next January and with a trainer, I can ride after a couple of days instead of waiting a minimum of 3 weeks to ride on the road.

Thulsadoom 04-15-12 02:12 PM

People ask me all the time why I ride, I tell them that I ride to get high. Of course, they look at me funny. I've tried to explain the endorphin buzz but they just look at me funnier still.

I always chuckle when I hear a regular cyclist talking about what a bunch of losers the pothead kids are. I tell them that, believe it or not, you're not as different as you think from those kids. The two buzzes are somewhat different, but not all that much, depending on your level of fitness. And many cyclists are just as addicted to their buzz as a doper.

Of course, our buzz is much healthier.

Bikey Mikey 04-15-12 02:36 PM

I'm an Endorphin junky. Even when I was just walking to loose weight and for health, I would get antsy if I didn't walk that day.

GFish 04-15-12 02:49 PM

Endorphin's or not, I hate the idea of missing a ride on a nice day, like today. The wife has a list of chores, and riding a bike is not one of them. Drats........

The people taking long rides on both Saturday and Sunday, must be either single or retired.

miss kenton 04-15-12 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by GFish (Post 14100877)
Endorphin's or not, I hate the idea of missing a ride on a nice day, like today. The wife has a list of chores, and riding a bike is not one of them. Drats........

The people taking long rides on both Saturday and Sunday, must be either single or retired.

Not necessarily. Yesterday, we did chores in the morning and I rode with theMister in the afternoon, today he played soccer and watched hockey and I rode with my sister. Marriage is about finding the proper balance.:D

Phil85207 04-15-12 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Barrettscv (Post 14099559)
If I'm cycling, I feel healthy and that I control both my time and my life. If I'm off the bike due to work or other duties, I feel like someone else is controlling my time.

I am in total agreement. Just have a brush with death and a person can see what is really important.

Bikey Mikey 04-15-12 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by miss kenton (Post 14100959)

Not necessarily. Yesterday, we did chores in the morning and I rode with theMister in the afternoon, today he played soccer and watched hockey and I rode with my sister. Marriage is about finding the proper balance.:D

+1 mrs kenton...here, here.

david58 04-15-12 04:17 PM

My wife and I strategize our chores around cycling. :D We are hoping to get to a mode of regular Saturday and Sunday rides, particularly when summer starts (here in the wet part of Oregon, that is usually July 5). I love my Bride, and have been blessed to have a Lady like this at my side, and me at hers, for the last 27 years.:love:

The group ride I had planned to take part in today apparently was cancelled, so I rode solo. Kinda did some of the same roads as yesterday with the shop ride, but added distance to the loop so I got about 35 miles in instead of the 25 we did yesterday. WINDY! Warm! And Wonderful. From depressed (thinking I had missed out on a ride) to just plain happy to be on the bike to really fired up to have gotten two hours of riding in (without getting lost, a constant hazard for me on rural backroads - for some reason, my short term memory has not circuits for directions).

I'll sleep good tonite, rode further than the the beers I will have (my preferred recovery drink), and just glad to have gotten to ride whilst here on the road. And riding out in the country in Alabama is a fresh look on the world.

An aside: VERY courteous drivers! I was very, very impressed with the number of drivers that were careful about passing, yielded properly to me (though I distrust any driver, yielding or not). I wonder if country folk just aren't in as big a hurry, are used to farm equipment on the road, or if North Alabama folk are just nice. Given the number of vehicles passing me today, on a ride in rural Oregon there would be a half-dozen drivers earning the muttered "anal pore" from me - NONE on two different rides in the country this weekend. That makes three rides I have taken here in North Alabama with NO close passes, NO honks or shouts. Had kids at a rural church smiling and waving at the old fat white guy in tight pants riding by. Yes, I love the South, and like it even more after my endorphin-filled ride today (and yes, I am a
Southerner by birth and affiliation. Your can tell because South is a place, south is a direction:D).

krobinson103 04-15-12 06:13 PM

I'm convinced theres no more addictive drug than exercise. Everytime I get on my bike and ride for more than 30 minutes its like my body ramps up. I feel happier, stronger, and more content for hours afterwards. If however, it rains or I can't ride the day gets rather miserable...

Got 2 50's in this weekend. Just have to get up earlier than the wife and kids (4-5am) and come home just as they are getting up. She doesn't even know I'm gone and I get to ride.

GFish 04-16-12 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by krobinson103 (Post 14101519)
Got 2 50's in this weekend. Just have to get up earlier than the wife and kids (4-5am) and come home just as they are getting up. She doesn't even know I'm gone and I get to ride.

That's a good idea, except I work nights and arrive home near midnight. Early morning rides would present a few challenges.

Originally Posted by miss kenton (Post 14100959)
Marriage is about finding the proper balance.:D

The balance is, I ride Saturday (50 miles) in exchange for yard work on Sunday. Except I'm selfish and would like to ride both Saturday and Sunday. Yes, I admit it, I'm the one creating the problem. My wife is a saint.

See honey, it's not you, it's me, I'm the problem. Luv ya.... :love: