Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so slow going uphill . . .

. . . that my Garmin kept going into "Auto Pause" mode. Like when you come to a stop sign or a red light.

Wanted to get some hill work in today. "They" say riding hills will make one stronger. Hah! They fooled me.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously your ability to balance is superior, even if velocity is not.

"They" are really, in the end, correct. However, I find that "they" usually leave out the part about "hard". And then stand back and laugh at us when we try to do what "they" say....
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean. I am slow on the hills too.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Schwinn Fred-mobile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GPS is confused by the vertical ..you ARE slowed or stopped in relation to the satellite 24000 miles up!! I did a proto-type test for Magellin back in 1989...it was interesting the results we got back then without all the "constellations" being up. That was before consumer units were available.
    Before hitting "Enter" or "Send" ask yourself: Is this true? Is this kind? Is this NECESSARY?
    I once had a Colnago/Campy bike built in Italy...then life caught up with me!
    Now I ride a Schwinn Beach cruiser to work!
    RIP: My friend Charles V. Beasley. We laughed until we cried over Opus and "Bloom County" in the '80s. Always remember "Pear pimples for hairy fishnuts?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by volosong View Post
    . . . that my Garmin kept going into "Auto Pause" mode. Like when you come to a stop sign or a red light.

Wanted to get some hill work in today. "They" say riding hills will make one stronger. Hah! They fooled me.
    Stay with it.

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lower the auto pause threshold speed
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    Old Specialized FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought we were supposed to be slow. After all, we're past 50.
    Please tell me we're not supposed to be fast!!!
    Been chatting to a 14 year old girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hills are tough, no doubt about it. Just when I start feeling good on the flats, hills bring me back to the reality that is.....I really suck going vertical.

Just keep repeating this over and over as you climb...... pain is weakness leaving the body.

Either that, or try thinking about anything else but the ride itself. Sometimes when the riding becomes really tough, I'll try zoning out and think about something else. My body just takes over without any thought and I'll actually start riding better. Sometimes I'm amazed when I check out the computer and find both speed and cadence is up.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hills have always been my weakness as well. At 5'9" and 185 lbs. I don't have the "mountain goat's" body. As every book I've ever read says, climbing is about weight, power and technique. The good news is that you can improve all three. And that's exactly what needs to happen to become a better climber. One of the things I've been doing this season is to concentrate on is pacing myself in a low gear until I get to the top and then shifting up and standing to crest the hill. I'm not as fast as a lot of the lighter, younger riders on our club rides but I also don't explode myself and now last longer on the ride. As I lose weight and gain fitness the speed on the climbs will come. I have no doubt.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, hills are a problem. I did not improve my hill climbing until I read an article written by a coach that basically said that you cannot get better climbing hills until you accept the fact it is going to hurt. When you accept this you can start improving your hill climbing. He also said that if you climb a hill and it does not hurt, go back down and climb it again because you did it wrong.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or did you out do the Garmin? As in the Garmin got pooped. I think you are pushing that thing to hard.

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not slow and ditch the Garmin.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

My Bikes
    Of course.
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuncoastChad View Post
    The GPS is confused by the vertical ..you ARE slowed or stopped in relation to the satellite 24000 miles up!! I did a proto-type test for Magellin back in 1989...it was interesting the results we got back then without all the "constellations" being up. That was before consumer units were available.
    Were you able to decode the signals? Back them satellite data was scrambled by the military so you didn't have the pinpoint accuracy you have today. I think it was a 40' +/- standard.

My SRM head unit keeps saying I end up 55' above my house at the end of one 60 mile loop (5500' total climbing, 5445 total descending).

I've taken to wearing a bright red rotating beacon on my helmet for low flying aircraft.

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's annoying to be struggling up a steep hill and get passed by walkers/joggers.
    Hey, it's not like they have a 15# bike they're pushing.

Depth perception can fool you. What looks like a horrible climb from a distance may end up being long, gradual and not that hard.

Choose your hills carefully. What goes up must come down. Some climbs I'd otherwise shy away from I will do just so I can enjoy an awesome downhill.
    There is also the sense of accomplishment on the climbs that push you to your limits.
    I love the feeling: Yesterday I failed, tomorrow is unknown, but today I conquered!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does not matter how slow you ride a bike uphill. It is easier than pushing the bike.

But just got back to hills after a winter lay off. Why are they longer than I remember- got steep bits in them now and Someone has knobbled my bike by putting 40psi in the tyres and got the brakes binding.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the part about the brakes binding. There are very few riders that have not stopped at some point on a hill to check their brakes because they MUST BE RUBBING. Could not be this hard and could not be this slow if the brakes are not rubbing.

Unfortunately I have never found the brakes to be rubbing, but I have enjoyed the stops.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm slow on the up hills. I scare myself on the downs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stare at the side of the road while climbing a bigger hill instead of looking up, also if you know the hill you can plan your climb. For short ones you can usually climb quickly at higher intensity and for longer ones you have to pace yourself a little more. Also don't stop.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two words. Granny gear. I can ride uphill for a long, long time at about 4 mph. Mountains kill me. I'm from Florida but we have a wonderful house in the NC mountains. One of my rides there is uphill, at anywhere from 5% to 15%, for maybe 20 miles. It takes me forever to go up and a short time to come back down. All we can do is keep on keeping on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Issac Newton's fault! If he didn't invent gravity, hills would be no problem.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the comments. Some are really funny. I wasn't really complaining. Just thought it was "funny" that the GPS kept going into "Auto pause" mode.

Here's my ride, 04/14/2012 Godde 3x with a bonus loop
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like the intro line for a joke, like Your mama is so fat... she got a flesh eating bacteria and the Doctor told her she has 57 years to live.

Lessee now-- I am so slow going uphill that there are 2 presidential elections while I'm on the way

or... I had to stop and shave cause my beard was getting tangled in the chain

or... I had to stop and clean my tires cause the moss was making them slippery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just use the hill climbing as an opportunity to practice your track stand ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD77 View Post

Sounds like the intro line for a joke, like Your mama is so fat... she got a flesh eating bacteria and the Doctor told her she has 57 years to live.

Lessee now-- I am so slow going uphill that there are 2 presidential elections while I'm on the way

or... I had to stop and shave cause my beard was getting tangled in the chain

or... I had to stop and clean my tires cause the moss was making them slippery

And my favorite..."I'm so slow going uphill that a dog was pissing on my wheel."

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so slow going up hills that my rear wheel asks my front wheel if it has finished its nap.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast