Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   ridding, riding, loosing, loose, losing (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/811369-ridding-riding-loosing-loose-losing.html)

DnvrFox 04-15-12 06:15 AM

ridding, riding, loosing, loose, losing

Common "driving me crazy" words. Anyone else?

ridding - getting rid of something (I am ridding myself of a bicycle)
riding - like riding a bicycle
loosing - setting free
loose - not fixed in place
lose - like losing weight

I know I wil be criticized for this post, but these are easy distinctions.

NOS88 04-15-12 06:59 AM

No, not really. I always try to look at what the writer is trying to say. Or should I say:

Know, knot really. I always try to look at what the righter is trying to say.

DnvrFox 04-15-12 07:04 AM

Yes, I understand. The meaning is the important thing.

I have been working hard ridding my bike so I can loose some weight!

badger1 04-15-12 07:21 AM

So, like I got up this morning and than log into BF and what do I find? Nother gramer thred ... I'd rather be biking* (ridding my biek) diallling it up to 400 wats and pounding the petals with my mighty guads and loosing wieght then reading about gramer and spelling and such like.

I should of not opened this thread my head feels like its going to asplode.

*Might it be possible to ban this term from all boards save Tri and MTB? Serious.

Condorita 04-15-12 07:21 AM

No one will ever convince me that poor grammar and spelling are ever acceptable, in any format, under any circumstances. It behooves native speakers to set an example of good usage for non-native speakers, particularly in circumstances such as BF wherein the participants are from all over the world. Not knowing the difference in loose/lose, ridding/riding, peddling/pedaling, petal/pedal, who's/whose, your/you're, its/it's, there/their/they're, where/wear/ware/were, two/to/too is inexcusable among native speakers.

DnvrFox 04-15-12 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by badger1 (Post 14099604)
I should of not opened this thread my head feels like its going to asplode.

I believe you have the problem solved - just follow your own advice! I would hate to be responsible for your head asploding!!

bruce19 04-15-12 07:27 AM

It makes me loose my mind.

Barrettscv 04-15-12 07:32 AM

It's unfortunate when the discussion degrades into an analysis of word usage, especially when the meaning is clear and the judgment being made concerns adults.

Retro Grouch 04-15-12 07:49 AM

My pet peeve is the word "alloy" used as a synonym for "aluminum". Steel is by definition an alloy.

DnvrFox 04-15-12 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 14099663)
My pet peeve is the word "alloy" used as a synonym for "aluminum". Steel is by definition an alloy.

I see you are my alloy!! Thanks. :)

david58 04-15-12 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 14099663)

As is the Ti alloy used in a Ti frame, etc. Bugs me, too, because I can never assume what material is being spoken of without more context.

The spelling and word usage bugs me, too, but I was educated in a day where we had to spell correctly with good handwriting (cursive), and had no spell checker other than the teacher who graded your paper.

My favorite ride stop/start point is the Chatoe Rogue. I love their beer, but I wish they had spelled better.....

big chainring 04-15-12 08:08 AM

Breaks and peddles.

Dudelsack 04-15-12 08:15 AM

There are a lot more important things to be concerned about.

We have lost the ability to construct logical arguments. We have allowed politicians to degrade our ethical discourse.

I see the fallacy of the false dichotomy used daily, as is the "straw man" argument.

We have become a culture of emotivists. Instead of saying "I think" we say "I feel" and we actually believe it.

A culture that prides itself on rationality has become irrational. Ideological labels reign supreme. No one thinks for himself. We allow politicians to tell us what to believe. Few could give a reasonable characterization of what their "enemies", ie. someone who doesn't believe what they do, truly believe. They can only repeat politicians' propaganda.

Grammatical errors don't hurt anyone.

rmpowell 04-15-12 08:16 AM

Grammar is the tool of oppressive devils

jmccain 04-15-12 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by bruce19 (Post 14099624)
It makes me loose my mind.

LOL - Me, too!

NOS88 04-15-12 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by rmpowell (Post 14099736)
Grammar is the tool of oppressive devils

Social control and the ability to inflict the term deviance on those who do not conform has always been a form of oppression. Using symbolic interactionism as the foundation for a query, one easily recognizes it is simply a method of attaching labels that allow one to discriminate and create social class. If, however, one were so inclined to use structural functionalism as the tool for analysis, one must ask, "Who benefits from the social control and what purpose does it serve"? ;)

billydonn 04-15-12 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=DnvrFox;14099501]Common "driving me crazy" words. Anyone else?

ridding - getting rid of something (I am ridding myself of a bicycle)
riding - like riding a bicycle
loosing - setting free
loose - not fixed in place
lose - like losing weight

I know I wil be criticized for this post, but these are easy distinctions.[/QUOTE]

Not by me... but you probably ARE swimming upstream.

JanMM 04-15-12 08:32 AM

Dang! Can't find a section explaining proper use of Communication Tools on the Park Tool site.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

tony2v 04-15-12 08:33 AM

weight, I'm loosing my mind or is that because I've losed some wait?

z90 04-15-12 08:35 AM

Pedant and Pendant. I hate when those get mixed up ;).

DnvrFox 04-15-12 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 14099731)
There are a lot more important things to be concerned about.

We have lost the ability to construct logical arguments. We have allowed politicians to degrade our ethical discourse.

I see the fallacy of the false dichotomy used daily, as is the "straw man" argument.

We have become a culture of emotivists. Instead of saying "I think" we say "I feel" and we actually believe it.

A culture that prides itself on rationality has become irrational. Ideological labels reign supreme. No one thinks for himself. We allow politicians to tell us what to believe. Few could give a reasonable characterization of what their "enemies", ie. someone who doesn't believe what they do, truly believe. They can only repeat politicians' propaganda.

Grammatical errors don't hurt anyone.

My original post concerned spelling, not grammar.

Spelling is the writing of one or more words with letters and diacritics. In addition, the term often, but not always, means an accepted standard spelling or the process of naming the letters.[1][2][3] In the sense of a standard, spelling is one of the elements of orthography and a prescriptive element of alphabetic languages.

vs.

In linguistics, grammar is the set of structural rules that govern the composition of clauses, phrases, and words in any given natural language

rideon7 04-15-12 08:39 AM

As a teacher, I'm a strong proponent of good grammar and spelling.

I mean, it's kind of the difference between knowing your s#!t, and knowing you're s#!t.

bruce19 04-15-12 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by rideon7 (Post 14099794)
As a teacher, I'm a strong proponent of good grammar and spelling.

I mean, it's kind of the difference between knowing your s#!t, and knowing you're s#!t.

Nice.

bruce19 04-15-12 09:01 AM

I find it sad that people can't bother to use the appropriate words or accurate spelling when attempting to communicate. I also know that offering to educate or correct them is like pissing into the wind. There are too many thin-skinned people and they take things personally. It's not worth the time or energy.

jbman100 04-15-12 09:06 AM

So this is what you do when it rains.