Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-15-12, 10:26 AM   #1
jim p

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brifters and why are they desired

I was talking to a bike shop owner that was in his 50's. I asked him about brifters and I was surprised at what he said. It was his opinion that the main advantage of the brifter was for racing while in team events. He said that some of the teams had riders that were out to take down other teams top riders by intentionally breaking and causing crashes. The brifter allows the rider to be in a position to shift and break without having to move their hands so that they can ride more defensively.

He went on to say that he preferred down tube shifters because he does not race and no matter what hand position he is using while riding he can just drop his hand to the shifter easily. He also said that most riders when shifting brifters want both hands at the same location on their bars while shifting. Maybe this is because there is a chance that the brake might be accidentally applied.

I have only used down tube shifters and have never had my hands on a brifter so I am wondering if any of the above information is even close to being correct. It sure seems like most want brifters on their bikes.
jim p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 10:39 AM   #2
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Well, most new bikes come with brifters, and most advertising features brifters, so it's hard for an uninformed consumer to want anything else.

I wouldn't say they're quite as bad as your shop owner makes out. They do have some advantages, like being easy to shift down on a hard stop for an unexpected red light or left/right cross motorist for urban riders, or easy to shift down while heading uphill while loaded touring. One of the disadvantages nobody seems to talk about is that you're pretty much locked into one hand position (on the hoods) to get those advantages -- sort of takes the benefit of "multiple hand positions" out of dropped bars.

I think it really comes down to personal preference. If someone's buying their first road bike, let them ride it with brifters -- compared to the body position change from a MTB or cruiser, that's small change. Then it becomes a case of what you're used to.
pdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 10:42 AM   #3
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620
Brifters were designed in order to give the rider better control while shifting, not having to take your hand and physically move it from the handlebar to reach the shift lever. Brifters allow you to shift on rougher road surfaces while maintaining control of the handlebars.

There's no 'break-in' period learning to operate brifters; you'll pick it up very quickly. Also, since the shift mechanism moves sideways, there's no way to unintentionally apply the brakes while shifting.

FWIW... brifters weren't designed so that riders could "intentionally brake and cause crashes". A pro racer or team with that sort of philosophy better think about competing in another sport entirely, like roller derby.

Brifters are so popular on bikes because it's what the guys in the TdF are using. It's not 'better'... just another way to shift.

Bottom Line? Use whatever you prefer to use, whether it be down tube, bar-end, brifter, stem, thumb, Grip Shift, RapidFire Plus, Positron, Centeron... you get the picture!

Alan
oldskoolwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 10:44 AM   #4
SuperDave

Bikes: Jamis Coda Comp, Carrera DSYT
Only one of those two shifter types requires you to take a hand off the bar to use. Would you like your first OMG Panic! moment to occur when you've only one hand on the bar? Don't forget, Lady Luck has a sense of humor.
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 10:59 AM   #5
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Bikes:
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim p View Post
I was talking to a bike shop owner that was in his 50's. I asked him about brifters and I was surprised at what he said. It was his opinion that the main advantage of the brifter was for racing while in team events. He said that some of the teams had riders that were out to take down other teams top riders by intentionally breaking and causing crashes.
a) He's wrong about the racing "advantage", it makes no sense because last I checked, "brifters" and down tube shift bikes have their brake levers in virtually the same spot. He's wrong about hand position, you can stick the non shift hand anywhere on the bar with "brifters", same as on a downtube bike. He's a wrong about taking a hand off the bar to have to shift being "better", ride around all day one handed and you'll understand this.

b) Advantages: being able to leave both hands on the bars, being able to shift and brake simultaneously, quicker shifts, not having pointy objects on your downtube, not having cables flying out there on most systems.

c) Disadvantages: None. Well maybe weight if you take lightest vs. lightest but we're talking about a really small amount.

d) I can shift from both the hoods and the drops on any of the current systems. Thanks to spring loaded levers, I can also use multiple hand positions in the drops. With SRAM I go up or down from the same lever.

e) Of all the current major systems, only on certain mechanical Shimano groups might you accidentally brake. Every other group has the shifting separated from the brake lever.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 04-15-12 at 11:02 AM.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 11:11 AM   #6
Yo Spiff 
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I find I shift far more regularly and easily with brifters. I do like the simplicity of friction shifting, though.
Old 04-15-12, 11:35 AM   #7
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 7
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
why are they desired?

desired , they are hard to get away from,
As all new bikes with very rare exceptions, are indexed,
as you all have the engines of consumerism making them
standard on the bikes in the shops .
they help people who do not want to think about math, of ratios and proportions ,
just an easy to harder 1,2,3.. so increase sales.

I'm a bar end shifter, myself, even the old race style bike has them..
but Yea, OEM builds it is where the component market went..

Touring bike builders often fit the index bar end, non index front ,left,
lets you run either road or mountain cranksets, and FD.
and trim the cage after rear shifts, so it won't drag against the chain...

I did not have to follow.. my last bike purchase didn't even use derailleurs.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-17-12 at 02:17 PM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 11:40 AM   #8
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Bikes:
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff View Post
I find I shift far more regularly and easily with brifters. I do like the simplicity of friction shifting, though.
I ran friction shifters on my TT bike for years...the long cable runs and tight bends created a fair bit of slack and cable stretch and it was nice to always find center.

With Di2 it's a perfect shift, every time. Stuff's amazing. Front derailleur trims itself. At one point I was lugging up a hill and an electronic voice asked me if I would like to downshift.

OK, not quite, but it's really nice stuff.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 11:45 AM   #9
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Another conspiracy theory. That's one of the goofiest things that I've ever heard.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 11:53 AM   #10
Seve

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D
I have to think that having a look at the Di2 or Campy electronic groupsets would put all those types of questions to rest.
Seve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 12:01 PM   #11
mulveyr 

Bikes: Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolwrench View Post
Also, since the shift mechanism moves sideways, there's no way to unintentionally apply the brakes while shifting.

Well, except it's quite easy to do that on some of the Shimano brifters. I *constantly* was accidentally braking while shifting with the ones that came stock on my Secteur. That, and the thumb button for upshifts annoyed the hell out of me.

When I swapped it over to Apex, I don't think I ever accidentally braked even once.
Old 04-15-12, 12:14 PM   #12
gtragitt

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
I would probably still be riding a hybrid if down tube shifting was the only option for a road bicycle.
gtragitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 12:48 PM   #13
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....
Quote:
I was talking to a bike shop owner that was in his 50's. I asked him about brifters and I was surprised at what he said. It was his opinion that (1.) the main advantage of the brifter was for racing while in team events. He said that (2.) some of the teams had riders that were out to take down other teams top riders by intentionally breaking and causing crashes. (3.) The brifter allows the rider to be in a position to shift and break without having to move their hands so that they can ride more defensively.

He went on to say that (4.) he preferred down tube shifters because he does not race and no matter what hand position he is using while riding he can just drop his hand to the shifter easily. (5.) He also said that most riders when shifting brifters want both hands at the same location on their bars while shifting. (6.) Maybe this is because there is a chance that the brake might be accidentally applied. I have only used down tube shifters and have never had my hands on a brifter so I am wondering if any of the above information is even close to being correct. It sure seems like most want brifters on their bikes.
(1.) Find another LBS!
(2.) Find another LBS quick!!
(3.) Find another LBS now!!!
(4.) Find another LBS with a younger owner!
(5.) Find another LBS with a younger owner that knows how to ride a bike!!!
(6.) Find another LBS with a younger owner that knows how to ride a bike and who's not a complete friggin' klutz!!!!!

Seriously.

Brifters are the simplest, easiest to use method of shifting gears ever used on bicycles, and if anything they should have come on all entry-level bikes first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
.....One of the disadvantages nobody seems to talk about is that you're pretty much locked into one hand position (on the hoods) to get those advantages -- sort of takes the benefit of "multiple hand positions" out of dropped bars.....
Sorry, FAIL! You are not required to keep your hands on the hoods to keep the bike in gear, so once you have shifted, you are free to move your hand however you please, just like with downtubes shifters!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
b) Advantages: being able to leave both hands on the bars, being able to shift and brake simultaneously, quicker shifts, not having pointy objects on your downtube, not having cables flying out there on most systems.

c) Disadvantages: None. Well maybe weight if you take lightest vs. lightest but we're talking about a really small amount......
+ 1 ... ...Twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
.....With Di2 it's a perfect shift, every time. Stuff's amazing. Front derailleur trims itself......
+ 1 ... ...Cool stuff there, huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Another conspiracy theory. That's one of the goofiest things that I've ever heard.
+ 1 ... ...Doodoodoodoo, doodoodoodoo..... ...

Last edited by Stealthammer; 04-15-12 at 02:15 PM.
Stealthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 12:49 PM   #14
mrosenlof
Slowpoke

Bikes: Old Mercier, Less old Vitus, old Stumpjumpers
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I always thought it was part of the manufacturers' effort to lock you in to their stuff and nobody else's.
mrosenlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 12:51 PM   #15
jdon

Bikes:
What's a brifter?
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 01:01 PM   #16
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Bikes:
BTW, wooden rims are better than Al or carbon. Why would you use anything else?
BikeWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 01:12 PM   #17
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 7
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
The guy was stating an Opinion, everyone has at least one..

No choice, now, buy a new drop bar race style Road Bike
it will have Indexed Brifters. br[ake-sh]ifter

unless you think a fixie will make you feel young and Hip again.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-15-12 at 03:58 PM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 01:13 PM   #18
jim p

Bikes:
It seems that most like brifters.

Don't be knocking wood. Some aerobatic planes still use wooden spars because it does not fatigue due to flexing.
jim p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 01:20 PM   #19
GFish

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveyr View Post
Well, except it's quite easy to do that on some of the Shimano brifters. I *constantly* was accidentally braking while shifting with the ones that came stock on my Secteur. That, and the thumb button for upshifts annoyed the hell out of me.

When I swapped it over to Apex, I don't think I ever accidentally braked even once.
Really, which shifters, was this Sora?

I've been riding for less then a year, using Shimano 105 and have never had a problem with accidental braking. I actually prefer Shimano over Sram.

At least people have choices.
GFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 01:22 PM   #20
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveyr View Post

Interesting, just got on a roadie a few weeks ago after not riding roadie for over 30 years. When I tested and riding the Defy 1(shimano 105) now, I don't ever recall "accidentally" braking while shifting or shifting accidentally while braking...maybe it's just me. I will say, I wish there were brakes for the flats like on my early '80s Ross roadie. But, I do ride multiple hand positions, mainly hoods though, but even on the hoods there is more than one hand position, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdon View Post
What's a brifter?
If your kidding,

If you're not
Brifter
A combination brake/shift lever, such as a
Campagnolo Ergo or Shimano S.T.I. unit. This term was coined by Bruce Frech.

Image of a Brifter

Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 01:23 PM   #21
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Speialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Interesting thread. As has been previously stated, folk who use brifters tend to shift more. Because they are maintaining their cadence, they tend to be a little faster/stronger during long rides. I've seen this with the club I ride with.
As for a conspiracy, Suntour, Shimano and Campy index are not compatible, and that predates brifters. As for some sort of conspiracy to force new bike riders to buy only brifter equipped bikes, Specialized tried a downtube shifter bike last year. The biggest complaint about it, it didn't have brifters.
The reason brifters are found on most new bikes is due to providing the public with what they want. If brifters weren't in demand, there would be lots of bikes being sold by all the big manufacturers without them.
The bike and equipment manufacturers want to sell product, they only manufacture and sell what the public wants.
Old 04-15-12, 02:10 PM   #22
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike
I love the brifters. So nice to have two hands on the bars and still be able to shift.
It's a big plus on rough roads, climbing, or in winds where I don't want to ride one-handed.

The only downside to brifters I've noted:
* I need a little more manual dexterity to shift gears. I could use the downtube shifters on my old 10-speed wearing leather ski mittens.
* I don't move my hands around so much and I get some hand numbness. When they get numb the brifters are hard to work too.

My LBS has put extra padding on the handlebar wrap under the hoods and I'm visiting a neurologist to see if something is going on besides road buzz.
nkfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 02:33 PM   #23
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
nkfrench, I do agree about brifters being tougher to use when I use winter gloves. I've yet to use the mittens I used on the comfort on the roadie--this will come next winter--fingers crossed.
Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 02:54 PM   #24
SuperDave

Bikes: Jamis Coda Comp, Carrera DSYT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthammer;14100512

[B
Brifters are the simplest, easiest to use method of shifting gears ever used on bicycles, and if anything they should have come on all entry-level bikes first.[/B]
In truth, they're not so hot on my hybrid.

My only brifter experience was with an Ultegra set. I was struck by the huge displacement of the lever required to get a shift; my fingers were almost not large enough to move that much. I'm accustomed to index shifters which don't even require all the joints on a single finger to operate. With that said, brifters are the obvious "correct" solution for any drop-bar bike.
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 02:57 PM   #25
Mobile 155

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Quote:
I was talking to a bike shop owner that was in his 50's. I asked him about brifters and I was surprised at what he said. It was his opinion that the main advantage of the brifter was for racing while in team events. He said that some of the teams had riders that were out to take down other teams top riders by intentionally breaking and causing crashes. The brifter allows the rider to be in a position to shift and break without having to move their hands so that they can ride more defensively.

He went on to say that he preferred down tube shifters because he does not race and no matter what hand position he is using while riding he can just drop his hand to the shifter easily. He also said that most riders when shifting brifters want both hands at the same location on their bars while shifting. Maybe this is because there is a chance that the brake might be accidentally applied.

I have only used down tube shifters and have never had my hands on a brifter so I am wondering if any of the above information is even close to being correct. It sure seems like most want brifters on their bikes.
None of the information the LBS worker gave you is true. Some people do prefer downtube shifters but between the two systems I prefer Brifters. Because they are easier to use maybe people do shift more and so try to stay in the proper RPM spin for a speed and gear. Given the choice between two bikes that were the same except one had downtube shifters and the other had Brifters I would take the brifters every time. Positive shifts every time just when you need them make it worth it to most of us. They do cost more and they can break. But there is no learning curve to use them and you can keep both hands on the bar when shifting.
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote