Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The route to regaining fitness.

Rain forecast for the rest of the week so I took a 30 miler today. Still on my recovery to fitness but as I have done a few hundred miles this month already- I put the Garmin with the HRM and cadence meter on the bike. Cadence and I am a bit lower than last year but that is easy to correct but I have a lot to do on the Cardio Vascular. Last year I was riding at 130 to 135 as my preferred rate and pushing to 150 on the slopes and at some point seeing near my max of 165 on most rides. I had to push hard to get to 120 today and my preferred rate was lower that that. As the ride was having a break in the middle at 16 miles- I decided to force myself to 115 as a minimum but could not get above 130 at all. At that I was breathing too hard and legs were losing it aswell. Got to the break and a coffee and my average was 11.8mph. On that type of route that was slow even for me.

The return was 16 miles again but on a flatter route so after a couple of miles I decided to stay above 125 and not push above 130. Had a 20mph headwind so it was not that comfortable but non-stop and got home to find the average for the ride had raised to 14.8.

That low heart rate at the start of the ride had me worried. In view of that I did not push that hard home but forced it up a bit. Never got uncomfortable but I did not feel right whatsoever. But that raising of the HR by 10 worked. So 32 miles with 1950 ft of climb and average of 14.8. Considering the first half of the ride-I must have worked in the second half.

Got home and I was frozen. It was a 4 layer day but the torso was still cold. Legs were OK but fingers were a bit numb by the end.

Then tonight it started. The sneezing- the runny nose and the sore throat. Don't know if I was coming down with a cold- or if the ride gave me one.

Thank goodness rain is in for the next few days to give me time to get over the first cold I have had in 10 years.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stapfam - hope you soon feel better, but please get that weather sorted by July, when we come to Brighton. 85F here today.
    Apropos HR, I find that it takes me about 10 mi before I really get my HR up in a group ride. My resting is about 40 and 220-age=149, but I eventually get to a cruising HR of about 125 with a sprint burst to 147.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a $100K cardiac ablation in November (thank you Medicare) has cured my a-fib, which sometimes got my HR to 230!!

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear you're sick... of course, now that you have retired, some perverse logic allows you to catch a cold. Glad that the drought is breaking! Your performance is still enviable. Heal well and fast!
    69 Raleigh Sports, '7 Atala Record, '82 Stan Pike

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now you cannot even enjoy a called in sick day. This is irony.

Bill

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    And now you cannot even enjoy a called in sick day. This is irony.

Bill

Can tell you this much- If I knew how hard retirement was- I would not have taken the job.

The Cold -by the way- has not developed into much so I can still work through the list the wife has of jobs for me to do.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan