Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

View Poll Results: What is your VAM?
Greater than 1067 4 10.26%
915 to 1066 5 12.82%
763 to 914 9 23.08%
610 to 762 9 23.08%
457 to 609 6 15.38%
305 to 456 1 2.56%
Other 5 12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-12, 03:24 PM   #1
Hermes 
Elite Rider
Thread Starter
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,746
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
How fast do you climb?

A couple of years ago, I did a similar climbing poll based upon feet per hour. I thought it would be fun to do it again but this time Euro style and use VAM. From Wiki with edits by Hermes for brevity.

VAM is an acronym for the Italian phrase 'velocitÓ ascensionale media,' which means 'average ascent speed' and is the speed of elevation gain, in meters per hour.

VAM is a measure of fitness and speed and can be useful for making relative comparisons of performances and estimating a rider's power output per kilogram of body mass.

Dr Ferrari, who coined the term, also stated that every one percent increase in average gradient increases VAM by 50. For example, a 1650 VAM (pro cyclist metric) on a climb of 8 percent average grade is a performance equivalent to a VAM of 1700 on 9 percent average grade. Ambient conditions (e.g. friction, air resistance) have less effect on steeper slopes (absorb less power) since speeds are lower than on gentler slopes


The other interesting calculation is W/Kg which can be determined by using this calculator by inputing VAM and the % grade. http://www.cyclingfitness.net/online-vam-calculator/

The best data will come from climbs longer than 20 minutes but use the data you have.

STRAVA users get their VAM calculated on segments by the software.

To calculate VAM from Feet per hour multiple feet per hour by .3048. So 2000 fph is equal to 609 meters per hour or 609 VAM.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer

Last edited by Hermes; 04-16-12 at 06:57 PM.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 03:54 PM   #2
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just under 650. It's pathetic, really - but wait until I'm back to my racing weight, and I'll show you...
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 04:01 PM   #3
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel
 
Barrettscv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edwardsville, Illinois
Bikes: Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Posts: 10,481
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
It took a while to convert my Garmin data, but I got 555 on a recent climb. I might find other one mile or longer climbs that are in the 600-700 range. I'm the wrong weight group and age group for huge climbing numbers.

This is my POV, I like to find a climbing pace based on slope as a target;

Let’s look at a hypothetical cyclist who weights 200 pounds, rides a 18 pound road bike, and carries 5 pounds of clothing & gear and can produce 200 watts of continuous power.

How fast can this cyclist travel while producing 200 watts?

Flat & windless = 20 mph
3% climb & windless = 10.5 mph
6% climb & windless = 6.5 mph
9% climb & windless = 4.5 mph
12% climb & windless = 3.5 mph
15% climb & windless = 2.75 mph

Deciding on a practical power level is not easy. Not only does power output vary on an individual basis, the rider’s weight is also a key factor. Climbing ability comes down to power to weight ratio. Secondly, the duration of the power output needs to match the duration of the climb.

My personal numbers, based on supervised Computrainer data after a one hour sustained 180 watt effort is as follows: 600 watts for 2 minutes and 225 watts for 20 minutes. I can also average 200 watts for one hour after a 15 minute warm-up. The issue for me is that at 200 pounds, I'm never going to be a great climber.
__________________
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-17-12 at 08:52 AM.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 04:57 PM   #4
Wildwood
Senior Member
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Bikes: see signature
Posts: 3,948
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Forget all the statistics, time and elevation bruhaha.
I climb like a rock.
Wildwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 05:04 PM   #5
SuperDave
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Atlantic City
Bikes: Jamis Coda Comp, Carrera DSYT
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The biggest hill in my county is the local landfill. I have no idea if I can climb or not. Probably not. However, this is the shore, so the wind makes up for the flat.
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 05:54 PM   #6
Makeitso
Desert Rat
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SoCal Desert Cities
Bikes: GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No idea.
Makeitso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 06:20 PM   #7
gregf83 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 7,335
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
900-1000 on 40 min hills, a little over 1100 on 10 min hills.
gregf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 06:37 PM   #8
Terex
Senior Member
 
Terex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jersey - outside the bibs.
Bikes:
Posts: 3,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wham, VAM, thank you Mam (or sir). A couple of years ago, I was well over 1,000, and improving. Now, much less. Just getting my legs back after a big drop off. It's actually fairly interesting. With a little bit of riding, I can fake my way through flat'ish rides, and still appear to be a strong rider. But climbing is another matter entirely. Hope to continue to increase my riding and drop 15-20 lbs. in the near future. I have one suit. Going to a wedding in early May. Really need to drop some weight so the pants fit.
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 06:53 PM   #9
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Bikes:
Posts: 6,783
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
A couple of years ago, I did a similar climbing poll based upon feet per hour. I thought it would be fun to do it again but this time Euro style and use VAM.
Then why didn't you choose round numbers for your bins? You just converted round numbers in feet to funky numbers in meters. Amend and resubmit.
DiabloScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 07:06 PM   #10
Hermes 
Elite Rider
Thread Starter
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,746
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Then why didn't you choose round numbers for your bins? You just converted round numbers in feet to funky numbers in meters. Amend and resubmit.
Because I liked the 3000 feet per hour as a benchmark and made everything off of that. I cannot amend the poll choices even if I want to.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 07:08 PM   #11
GeoKrpan
George Krpan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westlake Village, California
Bikes:
Posts: 1,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Brings to mind a funny story. I'm climbing a longish, steepish climb and I come up to these three guys staring down at their wattage output on their computers. I was on a singlespeed, they were seated, I was standing, no choice but to stand. I couldn't help thinking that they might have climbed faster if they were paying more attention to their climbing and less attention to their computers.
GeoKrpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 08:59 PM   #12
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953
 
cccorlew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Antioch, CA (SF Bay Area)
Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
Posts: 6,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The best number I see on Strava lately for an extended climb is 682 from the Diablo junction to summit. And I was having a pretty good day, for me. Heck, I've dropped my weight to under 140 and have been working my butt off. Next time around I'm picking different parents.

Still, I keep telling myself i climb a lot faster than all the fat smokers on the couch. I think I'm right, but the truth is I don't want to have to test my hypothesis. I'd hate it if I were wrong.
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 11:11 PM   #13
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!
 
Tom Bombadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Paoli, Wisconsin
Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Posts: 9,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The lowest group starts at 305? Ha! I wish!
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 11:14 PM   #14
rdtompki
Senior Member
 
rdtompki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hollister, CA
Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
Posts: 3,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just for grins I calculated my VAM based on the daily run we used to do 25 years ago (early 40's). 4.5+ miles, 1425' of climbing with 33 minutes being a really good time. The VAM of 790 is better than I can do riding in my 60's.
rdtompki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 02:30 AM   #15
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien
 
Racer Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location, location.
Bikes:
Posts: 12,526
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Gila fit 1300+ on a 60 minute climb at altitude.

Right now, more like 950-ish.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 04-17-12 at 02:37 AM.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 08:04 AM   #16
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Posts: 11,129
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Ask Mr Owl, he knows everything....
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 08:09 AM   #17
bigbadwullf
Senior Member
 
bigbadwullf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West, Tn.
Bikes:
Posts: 1,763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Until I reach the top...
bigbadwullf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 08:42 AM   #18
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com
 
Rick@OCRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California
Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Posts: 5,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Looking at my Strava VAM values from a century I rode in the Santa Monica mountains last Sat. - they're really all over the place!

The lowest is 607 but the highest is 3,076 . . . which should be impossible, certainly for me. For the poll I went with 610-762 since that seemed to represent the most often seen values on my Strava. Here's a link if you want to see what I mean (and see if you think I voted correctly):

http://app.strava.com/rides/6788377

Not that I claim to totally understand VAM, though I do appreciate the education by Hermes!

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 09:15 AM   #19
Hermes 
Elite Rider
Thread Starter
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,746
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I did a hill climb race up Kings Mountain in November 2011 - 4.32 miles, 469 meters, 6.77% average grade. My VAM was 864. My average power from my PM was 240 watts. Using the calculator I inserted 864 and 7% grade which resulted in a 3.2 w/kg. Using 170 pounds, that calculates to 247 watts. So in this case the VAM, body weight and average grade rounded to the nearest whole number returned a reasonable W/kg.

On that climb, the grade is steeper at the top and there are switchbacks with 10 to 12 % grade. Typically, I used lower power on the easier sections and hit the steeper sections with 280 plus watts as well as the last section. Putting out more power on the harder sections of climbs or into the wind results in faster climb times for the same average power.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 09:25 AM   #20
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I looked up a mass start hill climb from about a month ago, and my VAM was 736 for a 30' climb. I was DFL in the race, and it wasn't a PR for that climb, but is the data I can find.
__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 09:35 AM   #21
gregf83 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 7,335
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
The lowest is 607 but the highest is 3,076 . . . which should be impossible, certainly for me. For the poll I went with 610-762 since that seemed to represent the most often seen values on my Strava. Here's a link if you want to see what I mean (and see if you think I voted correctly):

http://app.strava.com/rides/6788377
Strava's VAM calculation looks a little buggy. If you look at the numbers for your 3076 climb they don't make sense. A .5km climb with 92m of elevation gain (18%) done at an estimated power of 148W in 1:48. Something doesn't add up. The elevation profile doesn't look like a 92m gain so I think their calculations are just messed up.
gregf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 10:03 AM   #22
Hermes 
Elite Rider
Thread Starter
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,746
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
Just under 650. It's pathetic, really - but wait until I'm back to my racing weight, and I'll show you...
I will wait patiently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
It took a while to convert my Garmin data, but I got 555 on a recent climb. I might find other one mile or longer climbs that are in the 600-700 range. I'm the wrong weight group and age group for huge climbing numbers.

This is my POV, I like to find a climbing pace based on slope as a target;

Let’s look at a hypothetical cyclist who weights 200 pounds, rides a 18 pound road bike, and carries 5 pounds of clothing & gear and can produce 200 watts of continuous power.

How fast can this cyclist travel while producing 200 watts?

Flat & windless = 20 mph
3% climb & windless = 10.5 mph
6% climb & windless = 6.5 mph
9% climb & windless = 4.5 mph
12% climb & windless = 3.5 mph
15% climb & windless = 2.75 mph

Deciding on a practical power level is not easy. Not only does power output vary on an individual basis, the rider’s weight is also a key factor. Climbing ability comes down to power to weight ratio. Secondly, the duration of the power output needs to match the duration of the climb.

My personal numbers, based on supervised Computrainer data after a one hour sustained 180 watt effort is as follows: 600 watts for 2 minutes and 225 watts for 20 minutes. I can also average 200 watts for one hour after a 15 minute warm-up. The issue for me is that at 200 pounds, I'm never going to be a great climber.
Bigger men generate more power. Induran was big for a pro cyclist and so was Armstrong. Lose a little weight and add some more power. You may never be a great climber but you can be a very good climber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
900-1000 on 40 min hills, a little over 1100 on 10 min hills.
You are on the leader board so far. Nice numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terex View Post
Wham, VAM, thank you Mam (or sir). A couple of years ago, I was well over 1,000, and improving. Now, much less. Just getting my legs back after a big drop off. It's actually fairly interesting. With a little bit of riding, I can fake my way through flat'ish rides, and still appear to be a strong rider. But climbing is another matter entirely. Hope to continue to increase my riding and drop 15-20 lbs. in the near future. I have one suit. Going to a wedding in early May. Really need to drop some weight so the pants fit.
As I recall, you had the top spot last year in my poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
The best number I see on Strava lately for an extended climb is 682 from the Diablo junction to summit. And I was having a pretty good day, for me. Heck, I've dropped my weight to under 140 and have been working my butt off. Next time around I'm picking different parents.

Still, I keep telling myself i climb a lot faster than all the fat smokers on the couch. I think I'm right, but the truth is I don't want to have to test my hypothesis. I'd hate it if I were wrong.
You are a double century guy where endurance is the premium metric. If you want more power, you have to focus on power. Endurance is a speed killer. IMO, genetics is overrated except if one wants to be a professional athlete. I like my genetics and prefer to work harder. There are a lot of exceptional athletes that just work hard and excel on what may be considered mediocre genetics. And then there are the genetic phenoms that are supposed to set the world on fire and flame out themselves.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 10:11 AM   #23
Hermes 
Elite Rider
Thread Starter
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 9,746
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
Just for grins I calculated my VAM based on the daily run we used to do 25 years ago (early 40's). 4.5+ miles, 1425' of climbing with 33 minutes being a really good time. The VAM of 790 is better than I can do riding in my 60's.
That is a nice VAM from 25 years ago... What is it today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
Gila fit 1300+ on a 60 minute climb at altitude.

Right now, more like 950-ish.
Sore back... Nice VAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
Looking at my Strava VAM values from a century I rode in the Santa Monica mountains last Sat. - they're really all over the place!

The lowest is 607 but the highest is 3,076 . . . which should be impossible, certainly for me. For the poll I went with 610-762 since that seemed to represent the most often seen values on my Strava. Here's a link if you want to see what I mean (and see if you think I voted correctly):

http://app.strava.com/rides/6788377

Not that I claim to totally understand VAM, though I do appreciate the education by Hermes!

Rick / OCRR
You are welcome. You are another double guy so endurance is key and that VAM will serve you well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
I looked up a mass start hill climb from about a month ago, and my VAM was 736 for a 30' climb. I was DFL in the race, and it wasn't a PR for that climb, but is the data I can find.
I was waiting for the big man on campus to weigh in. Nice VAM.
__________________
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

Cat: Killer
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 12:22 PM   #24
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All
 
BikeWNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Basking in the Sun.
Bikes:
Posts: 4,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At my best, a few years ago I did a local climb of 4.4 miles and 1850' in 33 minutes for a VAM of 1025. Now I was lighter and training then and life has gotten in the way of that kind of riding. That climb was part of a longer ride so it wasn't even a full out effort. More recently, this weekend's ride had a 6.4 mile 2147' climb I did in an hour for a VAM of 655. That climb came at mile 43 with 3000' of climbing already in my legs. I'm at least 18# heavier than I was in full training so that really drags on the hills. I'm working at lowering the weight and improving my power so I can climb better.
BikeWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 01:50 PM   #25
ericm979
Senior Member
 
ericm979's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains
Bikes:
Posts: 6,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can do 1100 for 20 minutes when I am going well. I usually assume 900-950 for all day climbing rides, a little less once above 8000' altitude.
ericm979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:46 AM.