Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Normal ageing process" OT(ish)

So after my diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes last month, I went to the eye doctor as advised. She took a long time looking into one eye, strange never took that long before. And the same machine on the other eye was much quicker. The final result was a small change in the rx for my left eye. AND the beginning of a slight cataract. The Dr. said it was just a part of the "normal ageing process"! WTF?!? That's for OLD PEOPLE, not ME!
    Well at least I can still get a hard.....ride in now and again. I really, really need one.

My Bikes
    Giant Boulder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very unsettling to get news like that! Hope this is your last trip into being "normal" for a while. Get out on that bike and be way beyond normal for a little while!
    What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'd better get my eyes checked as well. The person I see reflected in the mirror certainly can't be me! He looks twice as old as I think I am.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Schwinn Fred-mobile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting older is not for sissies! My wife, 57, was told she'll probably need cataract surgery before 60. They run in her family. I'm almost 60 and don't have that particular issue...but did finally control my Type 2 diabetes after losing 45 pound!
    Good luck. I've outlived most of my family and I'm still not 60 - so my time is bonus time.
    Before hitting "Enter" or "Send" ask yourself: Is this true? Is this kind? Is this NECESSARY?
    I once had a Colnago/Campy bike built in Italy...then life caught up with me!
    Now I ride a Schwinn Beach cruiser to work!
    RIP: My friend Charles V. Beasley. We laughed until we cried over Opus and "Bloom County" in the '80s. Always remember "Pear pimples for hairy fishnuts?"

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Diabetes.

Get a Red Ride Jersey and keep your pedals turning.

rrtwo.jpg
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exercise and weight control will really help.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting "OLD" is supposed to be difficult. I'll let you know when I get there.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are all the doctors I see younger than me? Hell, for the first time ever, the PRESIDENT of the USA is younger than me. Something's seriously out of kilter here.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    So after my diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes last month, I went to the eye doctor as advised. She took a long time looking into one eye, strange never took that long before. And the same machine on the other eye was much quicker. The final result was a small change in the rx for my left eye. AND the beginning of a slight cataract. The Dr. said it was just a part of the "normal ageing process"! WTF?!? That's for OLD PEOPLE, not ME!
    Well at least I can still get a hard.....ride in now and again. I really, really need one.
    Living on planet earth everyone will , in time, get cataracts from the suns UV light exposure.

Then there is your bodies imperfect self cloning process. Yep, self cloning that like any copy gets fainter and fainter the more copies that are made. The last numbers I heard on self cloning was a complete self replacement every 7 years with loss of gene information along the way which means we all loose some of ourselves in the process.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it just me or are the posters on 50+ younger than they used to be?

And it's good to have a doctor who is younger than you. That way they won't retire and leave you stranded right when you really need a doctor.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Living on planet earth everyone will , in time, get cataracts from the suns UV light exposure.

Then there is your bodies imperfect self cloning process. Yep, self cloning that like any copy gets fainter and fainter the more copies that are made. The last numbers I heard on self cloning was a complete self replacement every 7 years with loss of gene information along the way which means we all loose some of ourselves in the process.
    My understanding is that your neural tissue does not undergo replacement. Once you kill off a few brain cells, they don't grow back or anything.

On one hand, I'm not pleased with this aging crap, but on the other hand it could be much much worse. I see people younger than I in the obits all the time.

My Bikes
    Look 585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cataract surgery is very routine these days. If bright light causes glaring, or driving at night is difficult, it time to get it done. Afterwords, your vision will be so clear you'll wonder why you waited so long. Your vision gets worse so gradually, you barely notice it. After the procedure, your vision is almost good as new again.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People who've had it done remark on how vivid colors are afterwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just about 64 and am told that I have not the slightest trace of cataracts despite spending a lot more time outdoors than most people. I think the reason is that I've always and religiously worn UV protecting sunglasses.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right before he died, my father told me "This getting old stuff is really difficult!" He was 83 then, so at 62 (and so far), it's not that bad.

No cataracs and no diabetes, but for sure something (disease or condition) will catch up with me! Anyway, my father died of heart failure of some kind, so I guess it's likely I'll meet the same (or similar) fate.

As noted above, however, I agree that the guy in the mirror is getting to look lots older!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm way overdue on my eye exam. I need to get on that!
    Good luck w/ the type-2. Remember, it CAN be reversed w/ diligence. Aging is a @#$%! My diagnosis 1 yr ago was just into pre-diadetes zone with a 104 glucose number. That was enough to scare me. I'm trying to keep it at bay. Due for an A1C test this wk. Last one was 5.8 so I've been maintaining so far. Keep riding/keep moving regularly if you can!

My Bikes
    Trek 2100, Trek 960, Trek 2300, Novara Randonee, Specialized Langster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    getting old is not difficult; it's just a pain in the ass. As my physical and mental powers slowly decline, the things I normally do in the course of a day become annoying because I can't do them as well as I used to. There are numerous petty annoyances I have had to get used to: misplacing my reading glasses--cant read a word without them, dropping things all the time, aches and pains galore in all parts of my body, decreased stamina, poor sleeping, weight increases, short term memory loss, diminished manual dextrity, increased blood presssure, more digestive discomforts than when I was young, decreased hearing, increased tinitus, diminished overall strength, loss of patience, can't drink as much as I used to (to me, one of the most serious age-related debilitations), and there are probably more that I have forgotten. But, one lives on, trying to enjoy oneself as much as possible.
    Trek 2300
    Trek 2100

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikepro View Post
    Cataract surgery is very routine these days. If bright light causes glaring, or driving at night is difficult, it time to get it done. Afterwords, your vision will be so clear you'll wonder why you waited so long. Your vision gets worse so gradually, you barely notice it. After the procedure, your vision is almost good as new again.
    To me no surgical procedure whose outcome if it fails is loss of vision is routine. Yes, the success rate is high. But, it is not 100%. The best advice as far as I'm concerned is to do a lot of research into lenses, doctors and results. Be sure, very sure, you are ready before commiting to any eye surgery.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like old cars, our body parts wear out; fortunately some can be fixed and/or replaced.
    Have had some issues, but most were fixable. A few broken bones, cataracts, glaucoma, cancer.
    Turning 80 this year and still pedalin' 100+ miles a week (among other things)!

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no "normal" aging everyone age at their own pace.

Although with discipline in most cases diabetes should not be an issue with aging.

Keeping fit with good living (exercise and balanced nutrition) will help to age gracefully.

Although I wish I could have done something about macular degeneration that bothers me, but so far there is no remedy?
    And I wish I did not end a ride in somebody's windshield causing a serious concussion that left me with hypopituitarism!

Or aches and pain from broken bones over the years.

Dealing with these ailments are still better than the alternative.

Happy aging!

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    Like old cars, our body parts wear out; fortunately some can be fixed and/or replaced.
    Have had some issues, but most were fixable. A few broken bones, cataracts, glaucoma, cancer.
    Congratulations--impressive--keep pedaling!

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well keep doing that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all respect and admiration; you lucky b*****d!
    Don't stop.

My Bikes
    CAAD 10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    And it's good to have a doctor who is younger than you. That way they won't retire and leave you stranded right when you really need a doctor.
    THIS ^^^

I've had both a doctor and a dentist retire on me. Finding suitable replacements was difficult, at the very least.
    IMO, FWIW, CFM, YMMV, E PLURIBUS UNUM

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm quite content with getting old. The alternative sucks.
    Just take it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast