Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discovery leaving Kennedy Space Center

OT, I know. But this is the last photo I'll ever get of the Space Shuttle Discovery at KSC. It flew out of here about 7:00 a.m., and I was at the visitor's center to see her go. The shuttle program needed to end, and it was a real drain on NASA's budget. But it's still tough to see the orbiters go.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was never impressed by the launches but on TV I saw the first free fall back to earth and landing. That was so graceful that I was hooked on the shuttle missions after that.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw a pic of it landing at Dulles

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The windows in my pharmacy in Titusville shook during take off so bad we were afraid to get near them. I was there for the first launch but I've been gone for 15 years
    Red, like the color my hair used to be.

Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As a Washington Capitals' fan, I have a lot of DC-area Facebook friends, and several have posted pictures of the flight around DC. I'm planning a vacation day or two when Endeavour comes home to California.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

My Bikes
    Bacchetta CA2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember seeing the first shuttle making its way to FL from the west coast in early 1979. I was stationed at Lackland AFB and remember it was a pretty big deal when it landed at Kelly AFB. I was in awe of it then - and that never changed.
    Cheers, Gerry
    gerryelam.wordpress.com

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting all the pictures in and around the Space Center.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Thanks for posting all the pictures in and around the Space Center.
    SpaceX's first launch of Dragon to ISS is set for the end of the month, and if it's a success it will be a huge deal. I'll be there to get some pics.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It did two loops around the Tysons Corner, VA area (where I work) on its way to Dulles this morning. All my cellphone pics of it are crap, but it looked pretty much like this one:

2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got to watch an orbiter on the shuttle 747 come in to Eglin AFB while working at Hurlburt Field AFSOC Hq in the early 90's on its way to Kennedy Space Center. I thought watching a C-5A was neat as big as they are but the 747/orbiter combination was awesome to see myself.

Big space program fan since the early 1960's and Mercury launches up through Apollo and the shuttle program. The astronauts got the Naval Aviation water and land survival course taught here and the monkeys from the early test flights were kept at the Naval Aerospace Medical Research Laboratories (now decommissioned.)

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dumb question. Is it going in the Air and Space museum? Because that place is in dire need of something new. I hadn't been there for like 15 years until recently and it hadn't changed one bit. Old and stale come to mind.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the Discovery Shuttle Orbiter is going to the National Air and Space Museum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's going to the annex at Dulles. Not enough room at the downtown museum. Endeavour is going to Los Angeles and Atlantis is staying here at KSC. Endeavour is flying out in September.

My Bikes
    Cannondale R700 USA Ed. & Motobecane Century Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And not one will be on display in Houston? One goes to Los Angeles but not one to Houston? Come on.
    "On the road again, I can't wait to get on the road again!" -Willie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
    And not one will be on display in Houston? One goes to Los Angeles but not one to Houston? Come on.
    Houston & Texas voted against Obama, right? And Los Angeles voted for Obama?
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Enterprise is going to the Intrepid Museum facility in New York. It's right that one should be here in LA, since Rockwell's Space Division was in Downey and the orbiters themselves were assembled up the freeway a bit in Palmdale.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
    It was a big deal when NASA decided to give one to us here in FL and to California and not to Houston. The decision came down the number of tourists that would be there to see it. Houston is not, I understand, a tourist mecca, unlike central Florida. So, tough luck, Houston. You have a problem.

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Erlenbach View Post
    It's going to the annex at Dulles. Not enough room at the downtown museum. Endeavour is going to Los Angeles and Atlantis is staying here at KSC. Endeavour is flying out in September.
    You got me Kurt, I neglected to include the annex. Too big a hurry typing to get things right I suppose, thanks.

Bill

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '02 Trek 4500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center near Washington Dulles International Airport is the companion facility to the Museum on the National Mall. It currently houses "Enterprise" which was built as a test orbiter and never flew in space. It is an amazing place to visit and on par with the original National Air and Space Museum downtown.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    Specialized Crossroads Elite, Specialized Trcross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Erlenbach View Post
    It was a big deal when NASA decided to give one to us here in FL and to California and not to Houston. The decision came down the number of tourists that would be there to see it. Houston is not, I understand, a tourist mecca, unlike central Florida. So, tough luck, Houston. You have a problem.
    Not to go against my city, but I do see Spoke's point. I was in Houston at the Johnson Center a few year's back, and that place was just awesome. If any city deserves to exhibit one of the Space Shuttle's, its Houston. Still, the Science Center at Exposition Park In LA is building a hanger to house the shuttle and its booster rockets in, so it should be a really first class display.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't NASA have cities and museums that wanted to display an orbiter submit plans on how they would fund the decommissioning of the orbiter, its transport to their location and the facilities they required for the display of one and its upkeep? No one just "got one" did they? People here wanted to know why the National Museum of Naval Aviation didn't try and have one donated. Captain Rassmussen (my CO at one time for AOCS) had to explain several times that NASA wasn't giving them away to just any museum and that we could not afford the facility and all the other costs of competing for an orbiter. We do have an Apollo Command module and some Mercury items since we had Land and Water Survival for the astronauts and housed the Chimp lab here.

Bill