Man of constant sorrow Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Eyeglasses and rain

It looks like its will be cool and raining for the upcoming Redbud Ride in London thos weekend. It the past I've worn contacts and didn't much worry about rainy weather. However, I haven't put my contacts in for several months, and this year I just haven't had to ride in the rain yet. Any suggestions for protecting your glasses from the elements?
    Possunt quia posse videntur. St. Dudel: Epic is stupid that you get away with.

My Bikes
    Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bike helmet with a visor can help with a light shower, as can an old-fashioned bike cap.

But nothing really does well in a heavy rain.

My Bikes
    too many/not enough
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
    A bike helmet with a visor can help with a light shower, as can an old-fashioned bike cap.

But nothing really does well in a heavy rain.
    What he said.

I slide them halfway down my nose and squint, then have the option of looking over the top or through the wet glasses. Last year on a brevet I missed a turn using that technique, riding extra miles - half which were into a fierce headwind.
    What is bicycle touring?
    "So I kept looking and eventually found that a spark plug had same threads. So I cycled next two days until I got to Jackson, MS with a spark plug instead of right pedal." - mev

My Bikes
    Longbikes Slipstream
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forget where the link is on BF, but you can buy a little elastic sleeve for your thumb or finger that has a wiper blade on it. That works the best in my experience, to just give the lenses a periodic swipe and clear the mist. Here's a link to a similar product for motorcycle riders.
    Longbikes Slipstream

My Bikes
    Felt F3C; Colnago Masterlight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RainX
    My other bike is an Adirondack Guide Boat.

My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1

+1 to rainx properly applied. read the directions and follow them, but I LOATHE riding in the rain. It's the sole reason I have contact lenses, which I also don't care for much but I use them when I ride in winter and when I ride in rain.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd contact my eyeglass supplier before using rainx. The laminate lenses I have can not be exposed to alcohol much less something as strong as rainx. Nothing wrong with the product, I use it on my car's glass, but not all "glasses" are made of glass.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the big deal? Why do you need to protect your glasses from rain? They won't dissolve when they get wet. The terry section around the thumb of bike gloves is for wiping water off wet glasses lenses. I'd rather have glasses on in rain to stop the raindrops from hitting my eyes.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    What's the big deal? Why do you need to protect your glasses from rain? They won't dissolve when they get wet. The terry section around the thumb of bike gloves is for wiping water off wet glasses lenses. I'd rather have glasses on in rain to stop the raindrops from hitting my eyes.
    As above. Only problem I have found is "IF" water gets on the inside of the lens. Then it is stop time to try and clear the lens with a soggy rag or wet glove that just spreads the water----So don't take your glasses off at any time during the ride. That is when rain will get the wrong side of the lens.

I used to ride with a mate who was blind without his contacts or glasses. He normally wore glasses but if it rained- then he put in the contacts.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I for one would love to know how to keep the water out from the inside of the glasses. Unless its a light shower maybe it won't get there, but in a rain, count on it has been my experience. I have used rain x on plastic wrap around sunglasses with no damage to the lens. Here is an "if you have any questions 800# I got off my rain x bottle. 800-542-6424 Good luck.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even in very heavy rains I've seldom had problems with water on the back of the lens. Sometimes when I get dirt and grime kicked up from the road and mixed in with the rain, a quick shot of water for the water bottle (while still wearing them) is all it takes to make this visible again. Hence, even when I carry a sports drink, I always have one bottle with just water in it.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Dudelsak, I'll find out what to do on this weekends MS 150 ride. They are saying 40% chance of rain on Saturday and 70% on Sunday. I HATE riding in the rain, but I have too much money in this ride to stay home.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Man of constant sorrow Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I'm legally blind without corrective lenses. Call me old fashioned, but I have this fetish about seeing where I'm aiming my bike....
    Possunt quia posse videntur. St. Dudel: Epic is stupid that you get away with.

My Bikes
    Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode a charity ride with my grandchildren two weeks ago and we got caught in a storm. Not only did the rain on my glasses cause a problem but the trail we were on in Jacksonville is partially covered by a tree canopy and it got too dark to see without lights and I didn't bring mine with me. I had to chase my grandson down because he was out of sight and my granddaughter (also wearing glasses) couldn't see him and got worried) Ap. parently the thunderstorm caused him to forget how tired he was and pick up the pace. Like Bluesdawg said you just keep wiping your glasses with your gloves and pedal your wet behind down the road
    Red, like the color my hair used to be.

Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with glasses (even non-prescription Oakleys) is not the water getting on the lens. It's the fogging up when you stop.

I think the best solution is laser eye surgery. I had it done at a relatively late age (54 or so) but it was still effective, no regrets.

Luis