Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-17-12, 08:31 PM   #1
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Eyeglasses and rain

It looks like its will be cool and raining for the upcoming Redbud Ride in London thos weekend. It the past I've worn contacts and didn't much worry about rainy weather. However, I haven't put my contacts in for several months, and this year I just haven't had to ride in the rain yet. Any suggestions for protecting your glasses from the elements?
Old 04-17-12, 08:40 PM   #2
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
A bike helmet with a visor can help with a light shower, as can an old-fashioned bike cap.

But nothing really does well in a heavy rain.
pdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 08:47 PM   #3
downtube42

Bikes: Volae Team, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Priority Eight
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
A bike helmet with a visor can help with a light shower, as can an old-fashioned bike cap.

But nothing really does well in a heavy rain.
What he said.

I slide them halfway down my nose and squint, then have the option of looking over the top or through the wet glasses. Last year on a brevet I missed a turn using that technique, riding extra miles - half which were into a fierce headwind.
downtube42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 10:37 AM   #4
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream
I forget where the link is on BF, but you can buy a little elastic sleeve for your thumb or finger that has a wiper blade on it. That works the best in my experience, to just give the lenses a periodic swipe and clear the mist. Here's a link to a similar product for motorcycle riders.
Old 04-18-12, 11:07 AM   #5
EastOfMidnight

Bikes: Felt F3C; Colnago Masterlight
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RainX
EastOfMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 11:22 AM   #6
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
+1

+1 to rainx properly applied. read the directions and follow them, but I LOATHE riding in the rain. It's the sole reason I have contact lenses, which I also don't care for much but I use them when I ride in winter and when I ride in rain.
digibud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 01:13 PM   #7
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Speialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount
I'd contact my eyeglass supplier before using rainx. The laminate lenses I have can not be exposed to alcohol much less something as strong as rainx. Nothing wrong with the product, I use it on my car's glass, but not all "glasses" are made of glass.
Old 04-18-12, 01:43 PM   #8
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
What's the big deal? Why do you need to protect your glasses from rain? They won't dissolve when they get wet. The terry section around the thumb of bike gloves is for wiping water off wet glasses lenses. I'd rather have glasses on in rain to stop the raindrops from hitting my eyes.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 02:15 PM   #9
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
What's the big deal? Why do you need to protect your glasses from rain? They won't dissolve when they get wet. The terry section around the thumb of bike gloves is for wiping water off wet glasses lenses. I'd rather have glasses on in rain to stop the raindrops from hitting my eyes.
As above. Only problem I have found is "IF" water gets on the inside of the lens. Then it is stop time to try and clear the lens with a soggy rag or wet glove that just spreads the water----So don't take your glasses off at any time during the ride. That is when rain will get the wrong side of the lens.

I used to ride with a mate who was blind without his contacts or glasses. He normally wore glasses but if it rained- then he put in the contacts.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 02:36 PM   #10
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I for one would love to know how to keep the water out from the inside of the glasses. Unless its a light shower maybe it won't get there, but in a rain, count on it has been my experience. I have used rain x on plastic wrap around sunglasses with no damage to the lens. Here is an "if you have any questions 800# I got off my rain x bottle. 800-542-6424 Good luck.
Phil85207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 04:03 PM   #11
NOS88

Bikes:
Even in very heavy rains I've seldom had problems with water on the back of the lens. Sometimes when I get dirt and grime kicked up from the road and mixed in with the rain, a quick shot of water for the water bottle (while still wearing them) is all it takes to make this visible again. Hence, even when I carry a sports drink, I always have one bottle with just water in it.
Old 04-18-12, 04:11 PM   #12
John_V 

Bikes: 2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Like Dudelsak, I'll find out what to do on this weekends MS 150 ride. They are saying 40% chance of rain on Saturday and 70% on Sunday. I HATE riding in the rain, but I have too much money in this ride to stay home.

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
John_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 04:45 PM   #13
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
I'm legally blind without corrective lenses. Call me old fashioned, but I have this fetish about seeing where I'm aiming my bike....
Old 04-18-12, 05:07 PM   #14
RedC 

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
Rode a charity ride with my grandchildren two weeks ago and we got caught in a storm. Not only did the rain on my glasses cause a problem but the trail we were on in Jacksonville is partially covered by a tree canopy and it got too dark to see without lights and I didn't bring mine with me. I had to chase my grandson down because he was out of sight and my granddaughter (also wearing glasses) couldn't see him and got worried) Ap. parently the thunderstorm caused him to forget how tired he was and pick up the pace. Like Bluesdawg said you just keep wiping your glasses with your gloves and pedal your wet behind down the road

Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix
RedC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 09:45 PM   #15
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
The problem with glasses (even non-prescription Oakleys) is not the water getting on the lens. It's the fogging up when you stop.

I think the best solution is laser eye surgery. I had it done at a relatively late age (54 or so) but it was still effective, no regrets.

Luis
lhbernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote