Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   You know you're dehydrated when ..... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/812032-you-know-youre-dehydrated-when.html)

rdtompki 04-17-12 10:05 PM

You know you're dehydrated when .....

Well, spring is definitely here. I took a short lunch time ride up a hill right near my house, 40 minutes up, 20 minutes down. I didn't get 5 minutes into the climb when I started sucking on my WB; I could have drained it in one shot. Looked down at the temp on my Garmin, 84 deg. Now we did a 100K on Saturday and the short climb was 2 days later, but I realize now that I should have done more to replace fluids. As temps warm up we need to keep that in mind.

BTW, The 40 minutes got me up 995'. Longer lunch hours (or two) I'll go for the whole climb, 2600' or so; takes me about 90 minutes, but I'd like to get that way down.

bobthib 04-17-12 10:37 PM

You know you're dehydrated when .....

You cramp up after 60 mi or so. This never happened before, but now that I'm on blood pressure meds (lisinopril) I cramp up after 60 hard miles or so in the hot weather. It's really hard to hydrate enough when it's 90 deg and 95% humidity but I just need to get to it. Several big drinks of agua the night before. And avoid any booze a few days before.

skilsaw 04-17-12 11:40 PM

When the weather gets warm, (relatively warm in this moderate climate) I drink a water bottle per hour and sometimes that doesn't seem enough. On hill climbs I drink more.

rumrunn6 04-18-12 06:53 AM

couple tips I found useful for myself reg hydration and cramping. a dash of salt in my water - just enough so you start tasting it but not so much that you really taste it. a potassium supplement either the day before or just at the start of a long ride, and sometimes at the 1/2 way point of an all day ride. a tiny bit of magnesium supplement. depending on how much you take you can also take this the day before an all day ride and or at the start, at the 1/2 way, or at the end, etc. meaning spread it out, keep it and the potasium in your bloodstream to help during the ride and also for recovery that night and the next morning.

Phil85207 04-18-12 07:07 AM

I buy Hammer gel in bulk jars and add 1/2 cup per bottle. It works for me along with being hydrated prior to getting on the bike.

bigbadwullf 04-18-12 07:54 AM

Headache in the center of of your head. Got one last night after riding in cool weather. Didn't drink much. Dumb mistake but I did it. Just getting over it right now.

jmccain 04-18-12 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by bigbadwullf (Post 14113112)
Headache in the center of of your head.

This happens to me, too (and it seems to take forever to get rid of it).

Phil85207 04-18-12 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by jmccain (Post 14113276)
This happens to me, too (and it seems to take forever to get rid of it).

Not that one i've never heard of. And I thought I heard of everything LOL.

byte_speed 04-18-12 07:16 PM

I ran out of water one day when the temperature was 98°. When I started getting cold chills, I figured I had better stop & find some water.

DX-MAN 04-18-12 07:38 PM

I was expecting something closer to Foxworthy's 'redneck' series: "You know you're dehydrated when..."

"... you pee DUST."

zonatandem 04-20-12 05:56 PM

Rode today here in southern Arizona at 8:30 a.m. Temp was 80 degrees. Up to 90+ 2 hours later, with single digit humidity.
Did just fine with 1 pint bottle of water.
Yes, am aclimatized.

Mobile 155 04-20-12 11:15 PM

You know when suddenly you feel like you are running on low tires, you stop sweating, your hart rate will not come down. And worse yet this happens five miles from a store or coffee shop and you are out of fluids.

Mort Canard 04-21-12 06:29 AM

You know you're dehydrated when ..... I try not to let it get to that point. It is very hard to play catch up with dehydration when you are still exercising or working. By the time you get thirsty, you are already losing the battle.