Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"FUN" ride today

I have been worrying about how unfit I am after a winters lay off so Today was time for a "Fun Ride". Just a gentle ride down to the coast for coffee and to see a couple of my old customers.

8 miles to the first customer and had the Garmin on and left off the Heart monitor and put the I Pod on instead. After all- it was only a gentle ride and I did not want to arrive at the customer all hot and out of breath. Couple of miles to warm up and Status Quo came on and as usual I matched the cadence. About 95 on this song. Looked at the speedo and I was up to 18mph. Wonder if I can get to 20 so up a gear and push. Looked down and I was at 25. I don't do 25 unless it is downhill and with a tailwind. It was as near as dammit flat and it was a cross wind. Saw the customer and onto the cafe. Picked up another rider after about 100 yards and he was on a Giant Defy-and had a low cadence. Into a headwind and he was slow so I took the lead and just went up a bit from his pace. 3 miles later he drew alongside me and one of the questions was why I pedalled so fast. Without getting technical- I just told him I wasn't fast but he was slow and explained the problems of low cadence. 3 miles later and I got to the cafe and he stopped and thanked me for upping his speed. He had got the bike about a year ago and just rode it on his days off and today with the higher cadence he found it so much easier. Hope he did as I had been heading into a 15mph headwind and shielding him. Had coffee and onto the next customer. They were upset that I wouldn't have coffee with them so 20 minutes later and I was on my way.

I Pod still on and I went up the MUP to get a bit of shelter from the wind. Won't try it again--It's full of old people out getting exercise by cycling- walking the dog and chatting to any one they see. It got crowded at times. Now most of my music is at a cadence of 85 to 95 so tried to get comfortable on cadence to the beat. Today- for some reason- I had to keep changing into a higher gear to stay on top of the music.

So one good ride where I didn't train- didn't bother about speed- didn't worry about working. I still want to know how that ride normally has an average of just over 13mph. Today I managed 16 and I know that is wrong because I forgot to pause the Garmin at the last coffee so that included a 20 minute stop on a 24 mile ride that took just under two hours door to door.

I'll have to do more leisurely "Fun" rides.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Retired Riders might be faster?
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Retired riders have time to train, have fun, ride more, and increase there speed. Thats why I don't train or have any fun and I am slow...
    Last edited by teachme; 04-20-12 at 01:50 PM.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you talking about customers of Stapfams Bike Repair and Garden Advise Shoppe?
    Bike riding should first be fun, then all that other stuff. Leave the mind clogging stuff at the edge of the driveway, have fun.
    I bet it felt good.
    Enjoy the Ride.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    Yes, Retired riders have time to train, have fun, ride more, and increase there speed.
    If you ever race Masters, you find that a lot of the fastest guys are the older fellows who have retired and are now training like pro's. They're also able to get higher-quality rest. As long as they maintain the discipline to stay on their training schedule, and not get sidetracked with home improvement projects, they are a force to be reckoned with!

Luis

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    If you ever race Masters, you find that a lot of the fastest guys are the older fellows who have retired and are now training like pro's. They're also able to get higher-quality rest. As long as they maintain the discipline to stay on their training schedule, and not get sidetracked with home improvement projects, they are a force to be reckoned with!

Luis
    Well my retirement plan calls for me to work 12 more years... I'll be 66 when I retire. Are you saying I may still have a chance?
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad it was a fun ride for you. Over the last several weeks, it's been clear that you're concerned about the lack of riding. So, it's nice to see that you haven't lost everything. Were your customers surprised to see you? I often wonder about the relationships I've made thru work. Will they still hold true after I've retired?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These were customers from my "OLD" Employment. They were pretty pleased to see me but one has a few problems they would like me to sort for them--Yea right.

I have not been replaced yet so I am glad to see that I am being difficult to replace.

And I havew to admit that there is more time to get out and ride--In between the garden- the house maintenance and trying to fend off bikes that just need a bit of looking at.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good to read that you're living the "Good Life".

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Side benefit of all this spare time I have--I have lost 6lbs since April 1st. May be down to more exercise or better quality food and less pasties and a cake for lunch but at this rate- I will be down to my target of 140lbs soon.

There is also a downside. My job was fairly active and although I did have a few aches and pains- I did not have any major problems till after I had lifted weights beyond sense for my age. Then my knees would ache and I would be careful with my back. I am doing more leg exercise with the cycling and the knees are not bothering me at all. But the back. I have had to resort to pills to ease the pain on too many occasions now and it is mainly after a session of sitting down on the computer or travelling in the car. Doesn't bother me on the bike and cycling is not improving back strength so I may have to visit the quack to see if anything can remedy the situation.

Spike Milligan