Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT: Not a Very Good Couple of Days

My wife has had Post Herpetic Neuralgia (residual pain from Shingles) for 7 years now. It is a terrible pain - every afternoon she suffers so much she cries. We have tried MD after MD, nutritionist, etc., for answers.

OK, the latest treatment was to be Intercostal nerve block injections, to stop the pain through the nerves.

So, Thursday morning, we went in for the injections, which leave a pain residual. About 4:00 am Friday, she awoke me in absolutely terrible pain, short of breath, just short of screaming.

Off to the ER, where they diagnosed that the needle from the injection had penetrated and deflated the lung - a pneumo thorax.

Tube in the lung, night in the hospital and home this afternoon.

Meantime, my very painful trigeminal neuralgia is not responding to the medication, and I can hardly chew, and I have developed as acute inflammation of my Achilles Tendon, and every step is a literal pain.

Anyway, the moral of the story:

GET YOUR SHINGLES VACCINE SHOT. They now recommend it down to age 50 (CDC). Shingles is possible for anyone who has had Chickenpox - lots and lots of people. It works for about 50%, and reduces the severity for most of the rest, (It wasn't available when my wife (and I) had Shingles)
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-21-12 at 07:19 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver, I am so sorry to hear this. I hope relief comes for both of you very soon.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nerve pain is as bad as it gets. Best wishes for you and your wife.

I had considered a pain block not too long ago. When I heard that a possible adverse event is a dropped lung, I decided to tough it out without it.

My Bikes
    69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At my annual physical this week, the doc advised me to get the vaccine because I just turned 60. I have been lucky enough to be generally healthy and tend to avoid most immunizations so I was wavering about this one. I think you have given the push that I needed to decide to get it. Thanks Denver you earned some good karma,

-G

My Bikes
    1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks for the tip - my wife has had several shingles episodes and the docs have never mentioned that there's a vaccine.
    Hope that you guys find something effective soon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gmt13 View Post
    At my annual physical this week, the doc advised me to get the vaccine because I just turned 60. I have been lucky enough to be generally healthy and tend to avoid most immunizations so I was wavering about this one. I think you have given the push that I needed to decide to get it. Thanks Denver you earned some good karma,

-G
    A lot of docs are NOT aware that the CDC has lowered the age to 50. Tell your doc for other's sake.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver, I'm so sorry to hear that. It must be terrible to have to watch someone you love suffer so and to be powerless to do anything about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot imagine watching one you love suffer. Good luck to the both of you.
    1974 Mizutani Super Seraph Road Bike
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vaccine is on my list of things to do. Been putting it off because my insurance is supposed to cover it but only if given by a network provider (doc), not from a drugstore. But my PCP and most other doctor offices don't carry it because of various reasons - has to be kept frozen until very shortly before administration, etc. I really need to arrange to get it at the local Walgreens but am annoyed I'll have to pay about $200 for what should be free. (Not really free.)
    I will do this soon because shingles can be very painful and the vaccine can prevent or decrease the severity of an outbreak.

Good luck with you and your wife's difficulties.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Praying for relief for you and your wife Dfox...
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear what you and your wife are enduring.
    Had my own bout of shingles, and I know all about the pain. BTW, I was under 40 when it hit me.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

My Bikes
    1990 Univega Alpina, 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2009 Jamis Coda Sport, 2010 Jamis Aurora
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DnvrFox, I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you and your wife are experiencing and hope that you both will find some relief soon.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. In many ways, as we have learned your situation over the years, you have had to endure more than your fair share. I wish you well and hope you and your wife's situation improves quickly.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very sorry to hear about your situation, and I'll bring it up with my doctor . I guy I worked with had it, and I don't want to see anyone else ever get it . Best wishes for a good and speedy recovery and relief from pain .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver,
    I'm sorry to hear of the pain you are both dealing with. I'll be praying for relief and someone who can help you both find some answers. Don't give up!

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May you both get well soon.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, all, We have MD appointments scheduled all over the place.

The good news is that Nora got a couple of morning 4 mile rides yesterday and today, The pain reallly hits her about 2-3 pm. I got in 16 miles today, plus a swim this am.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! You two have had more than your share of pain this year. Hoping you both start feeling good soon.

Slow Moving Vehicle Jean Beetham Smith's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver, so sorry you and Nora have to deal with so much pain. Everyone else, please ask around, although my network PCP did not stock the shingles vaccine, I discovered that the town health department did, and it was FREE to town residents. Thank you Denver for turning your family's struggle into education for the rest of us.
    Help grow the future of cycling in the world. Volunteer at your local "earn-a-bike" program. In the Boston area http://www.bikesnotbombs.org/about

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I hope you and Nora find some relief for the pain.

My doctor had me get the shingles vaccine a couple years ago. I have one of my riding friends who contacted shingles earlier this year and it was terrible.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You two don't mess around. Pain, right from the source. Ouch. I hope some relief is imminent.

Several years ago my family was in to see a really competent physician's assistant who specialized in dermatology to deal with my son's warts. As an afterthought, my husband had her look at a few little skin issues he was having. She promptly scheduled him for a small surgery to remove a skin cancer, decided that the dermatitis on his leg was no big deal and diagnosed his emerging shingles. He was really lucky with the shingles: no neuralgia. A couple years later I also got shingles and also dodged the neuralgia bullet. Neither one of us was yet 50 when we got shingles.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Denver, I'm so sorry for you and Nora. That pain is awful. I just can't believe there isn't a remedy out there somewhere --- don't give up!

I had Shingles last year but within a few days started on the anti-viral Valtrex which stopped the spread of the bumps and blisters, but the nerve pain continued for weeks. (More bumps and blisters would have meant much more pain... I cannot imagine.) The pain of Shingles is like having a very bad sunburn w/blisters poked with needles and rubbed with sandpaper --- 24/7, for weeks on end.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be very careful with nerve block injections!!!!!
    My late wife had unbearable pain in her left arm from breast cancer and the idiot MD who gave her the nerve block punctured the covering of several adjacent nerves in her collar/shoulder area....
    Within a few hours her arm was paralyzed for the rest of her life!!! She spent the last five years of her life not only in pain but with a totally paralyzed arm....... Not something I would recommend to anyone...

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for all the pain and misery. I hope you two have speedy recoveries.

I think I'll ask my doctor about that vaccine. I've had chickenpox and although I'm not shy of pain, I prefer mine self-inflicted.

Glad to see that you both are still active, in spite of the pain. WTG!
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for reminding me that I haven't had the vaccination. I had shingles once, and I don't care to have that kind of pain again. It only lasted a few months with me, so I guess I was lucky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast