Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    08 Trek Madone, 2011 Salsa Casserole
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you ride with a chain tool?

Just had my second chain failure in 2 years ,2 different bikes, both Shimano chains. First time it was a long walk home, second time my wife came to get me. I just ordered a sram chain along with some extra quick couplers. Seems to me that I need to start carrying a chain tool if I want to be self sufficient, but my seat bag is already full. I guess I'll need to start wearing jerseys with pockets.....

My Bikes
    Old Specialized FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everyone should carry one. It has saved my butt many of times over the years. Just used it about a month ago when my wife and I were out on the MTB's and she broke her chain.
    Last edited by Durockrolly; 04-22-12 at 09:32 PM.
    Been chatting to a 14 year old girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't take one on a ride as I have a Chain Gauge. Only time I will break a chain is soon after it has been fitted and I haven't done the job properly OR if the chain is getting well worn and it is time for it to break. I regularly check the wear on a chain and as it gets to 1% worn on the gauge I order a new chain and fit it next weekend.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry one.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The very best way to prevent chain failure is: here it comes - get ready. Carry a chain tool incorporated into a multi-tool kit along with a few spare links together with a KMC or Sram Quick Links. When thusly prepared, some cyclists can go an entire cycling career, I'm talking years here, without a bit of chain trouble.

Tuc
    collector
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Needed one yesterday, and I had it with me. First time I needed it for my own bike while out on the road, but I kind of suspected I would need it and had taken a spare chain with me as well which was the first time I did that.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last time that I broke a chain on a ride I was solo mountain biking around 4 miles from my car. No problem, I have a Park mini chain tool right? WRONG! The #$%^&* replaceable pin was missing. I lowered my seat so I could Flintstone the flats, walked the uphills, and coasted the downhills back to my car.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I carry one, with a couple of spare links. Very rarely needed, but a life-saver on those rare occasions.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't carried one for several years. I've had two broken chains and both were worn beyond the point where they should have been replaced. So, I just keep my chains well maintained and replace them when they should be.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My multi-tool includes a chain tool, but I'd be hard-pressed to break a 10-speed chain with it.
    Rick T
    --------
    daVinci Joint Venture
    Volagi
    Strava Tandem Club

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My multitools have chain tools and I carry quick links. Haven't needed them and hope I won't but they are there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope - hope I don't need one.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My multitool has a chain breaker, and I carry some "missing links".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't used to but then a few years ago I came accross a couple who were waiting with their bikes for a ride. One of them had broken a chain. If only I had a chain tool with me I could have salvaged their day.

I carry one now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I now carry a chain tool and a spare master link, but have not yet used them. This is in reaction to the day some years ago when a Wippermann link separated in the middle of a front shift and one half got lost in the weeds.

Tuc
    collector
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carry the quick links that match not only your bike, but your crews - it will gain you a round at the pub one day.

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Only time I will break a chain is soon after it has been fitted and I haven't done the job properly OR if the chain is getting well worn and it is time for it to break.
    This. There are lots of other ways to get stranded and a broken chain is on the very bottom.

I've never had a chain break except when I didn't install it right. But I've had a seatpost clamp snap and a skewer break.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berner View Post
    The very best way to prevent chain failure is: here it comes - get ready. Carry a chain tool incorporated into a multi-tool kit along with a few spare links together with a KMC or Sram Quick Links. When thusly prepared, some cyclists can go an entire cycling career, I'm talking years here, without a bit of chain trouble.
    Absolutely correct. After 2 chain failures and the advent of a chain tool in my rear bag, I have not had to use it for the last 6 years.

Man of constant sorrow Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No. Maybe I should.
    Possunt quia posse videntur. St. Dudel: Epic is stupid that you get away with.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a multi-tool with a chainbreaker on it and years ago I carried a regular chain tool. Of all the things I have broken on the road a chain is not one of them, but I broke one on a mtb once and I have repaired chains for several others on the road.

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting this! Chain tool? Gives me something else to buy. Never thought about my chain breaking...
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Each of my bikes has a multi tool in its seat bag and they all have chain tools built in. Glad I had my Alien with me today as I needed it. I was riding the new monstercross bike on some dirt roads when it started shifting funny and the chain jumping to the small ring without me shifting. I stopped to see what was going on and I saw that the side plate on one of the chain links was busted and about to fall off. I guess I shouldn't have reused the chain when I transferred the components over from the Casseroll. The chain tool allowed me to remove that link and put the chain back together and ride home. It would have been a 5 mile hike or a call for a ride without it.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 04-22-12 at 07:39 PM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always carry a multitool with a chain breaker built in. But do you research on tools before you buy the first one you see - some of the built in chain tools are junk.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The multitool I use has a chain tool. I've never needed it but friends have. It's not shop quality by any means but it works well enough in the field.

The spoke wrench on the tool has come in handy many times. This tool is a tiny Ritchey that's no longer made, not the huge heavy tools that they have now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many decades ago, my husband broke his chain while out on a ride with my sister and me. He walked/velocipeded 15 miles home while we rode the rest of the 50 mile loop. Since then, we always have a chain tool with us. (It was pretty funny watching him roll backwards when it broke. He thought he had just mis-shifted and was pedaling frantically trying to get the chain to engage. I guess it didn't occur to him to use his brakes.)

By the way, whenever I hear of or see someone have a chain break on a ride, it always turns out to be a Shimano chain. My husband had one literally fall to pieces on him. He put it on, went on a 750 mile tour, and limped to the endpoint six links shorter than he started.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast