Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-12, 11:31 AM   #76
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Graduate course suggestion:Irrelavent forum phrase 601 - How to interject the phrase "Since I don't race..." or a variation thereof into any discussion.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 11:55 AM   #77
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Graduate course suggestion:Irrelavent forum phrase 601 - How to interject the phrase "Since I don't race..." or a variation thereof into any discussion.
Well, since I don't race, I think that's a great suggestion.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 12:05 PM   #78
tony2v

Bikes:
Holy Trinity Fred University: HTFU now accepting applications...........
tony2v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 04:34 PM   #79
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2v View Post
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 07:32 PM   #80
oilman_15106

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This post is the perfect place to list 2 courses that were in the spring flyer from our local community college.
This is not made up.

1. Exercise for the out of shape! You gotta start somewhere.
2. How to ride an Electric bicycle. Course requirement, you must be able to ride a non-electric bicycle.

I am just glad my tax dollars are going to productive uses.
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 10:10 PM   #81
Bionicycle
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Bikes:
We can't forget Rack, Baskets, and Milk Crate installation 101...
Bionicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 01:23 PM   #82
John_V 

Bikes: 2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Another course for the Bike Mechanic Degree: Attaching Velcro Mounted Mirrors To Handlebars. A course designed to teach the student mechanic the proper method of attaching Velcro mounted mirrors so they don't swivel on the grips as you ride.

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
John_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 04:05 PM   #83
dirtclod

Bikes: Haro beasley, Stumpy26"
Just sighned up, went right to 50+, then Fred thread to find out I'm guilty of fredism. Drilled out rim for schrader, wallmart shirt, flats.

OK! The art of pulling over to adjust something on your bike so fast riders can pass.
dirtclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-12, 08:53 PM   #84
Stomper

Bikes:
More recently, particularly in the US, a Fred is more often somebody with higher quality and more expensive cycling equipment than his or her talent and commitment would warrant. For example, a stereotypical Fred by this definition would be an individual with little cycling experience who watches the highlights of a few Tour de France stages, then goes to a bike store and purchases a Trek carbon fiber Madone in Team Discovery colors, along with Team Discovery shorts and jersey. Thus outfitted with equipment virtually identical to that which Lance Armstrong used, far more expensive than that used by many high-standard racing cyclists, and more costly than many automobiles, the "Fred" then uses his bicycle merely to ride on a cycling path at 15 mph (24 km/h), something which even the most casual untrained cyclist can manage on an inexpensive hybrid bicycle. Some use "Fred" in a somewhat similar matter, but more synonymous with a roadie poseur. However, a Fred isn't necessarily someone who intentionally tries to put forth an image of being better or more knowledgeable than they are. Rather, a Fred is an inexperienced or unskilled cyclist who gets some top high-end or copy-cat racing gear for any reason. Unlike most poseurs, a Fred may still ride lacking some fundamental piece of competitive roadie equipment or style.

Wait! I know this Fred - A new $4000 carbon bicycle, designer cycling togs, uses a butler to help him clip into the pedals, and only rides along a centurion path at about 15 mph. The family says he's a fanatic; I say he's a Frednatic. Maybe he'll hook up with Dora and have a few baby Freds.
Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-12, 05:47 AM   #85
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Impact, LaPierre TDF
Trailers 200 - for the sophomore level Fred . finding, repainting , refitting and repurposing old kiddie carriers and jogging strollers for the "Edge of Fredness" bicycle tour. Must complete 7 miles with full fred load , which must be added to with roadside finds during tour .
Gravity Aided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-12, 06:09 AM   #86
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
This thread reminds me of how much I miss the Deege.
Old 09-15-12, 08:23 AM   #87
mprelaw

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomper View Post
More recently, particularly in the US, a Fred is more often somebody with higher quality and more expensive cycling equipment than his or her talent and commitment would warrant. For example, a stereotypical Fred by this definition would be an individual with little cycling experience who watches the highlights of a few Tour de France stages, then goes to a bike store and purchases a Trek carbon fiber Madone in Team Discovery colors, along with Team Discovery shorts and jersey. Thus outfitted with equipment virtually identical to that which Lance Armstrong used, far more expensive than that used by many high-standard racing cyclists, and more costly than many automobiles, the "Fred" then uses his bicycle merely to ride on a cycling path at 15 mph (24 km/h), something which even the most casual untrained cyclist can manage on an inexpensive hybrid bicycle. Some use "Fred" in a somewhat similar matter, but more synonymous with a roadie poseur. However, a Fred isn't necessarily someone who intentionally tries to put forth an image of being better or more knowledgeable than they are. Rather, a Fred is an inexperienced or unskilled cyclist who gets some top high-end or copy-cat racing gear for any reason. Unlike most poseurs, a Fred may still ride lacking some fundamental piece of competitive roadie equipment or style.

Wait! I know this Fred - A new $4000 carbon bicycle, designer cycling togs, uses a butler to help him clip into the pedals, and only rides along a centurion path at about 15 mph. The family says he's a fanatic; I say he's a Frednatic. Maybe he'll hook up with Dora and have a few baby Freds.
Sorry---you yourself are guilty of confusing "Fred" with "poseur". The Lance wannabe riding the MUP in full Team Discovery/USPS kit with matching bike is a classic poseur.

The Fred would be the guy with panniers on the same bike, riding in cut-offs and a Grateful Dead t-shirt.
mprelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-12, 08:38 AM   #88
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionicycle View Post
We can't forget Rack, Baskets, and Milk Crate installation 101...
I'm waiting for a good quality, extra light weight, super strong, carbon fiber milk crate for my bike.
berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-12, 12:08 PM   #89
Gravity Aided

Quote:
Originally Posted by berner View Post
I'm waiting for a good quality, extra light weight, super strong, carbon fiber milk crate for my bike.
You could drill out a plastic one . No waiting .
Old 09-15-12, 05:54 PM   #90
Looigi

Bikes:
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepWI View Post
Having been Fred for a long time now, where do I enroll in grad school?
Experience counts, but before applying to grad school you must first pass a test and qualify for your FRED (Fred Equivalency Diploma)
Looigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-12, 06:46 PM   #91
etw

Bikes:
For those wanting to do advanced study, here is a required text:

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/bo17.htm
etw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-12, 08:13 AM   #92
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Saddles: Huge, or giant? Extra padded or lazyBoy cushioned?
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-12, 09:13 AM   #93
Retro Grouch 

Quote:
Originally Posted by etw View Post
For those wanting to do advanced study, here is a required text:

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/bo17.htm
Old 09-16-12, 09:55 AM   #94
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2v View Post
There is already a H.T.F.U. which offers survival training for cyclists who cannot handle the rigours of riding out of doors in less than perfect weather. Advanced certification is offered to those who can demonstrate an ability to ride in sub freezing temperatures without whining.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-12, 10:13 AM   #95
Retro Grouch 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
There is already a H.T.F.U. which offers survival training for cyclists who cannot handle the rigours of riding out of doors in less than perfect weather. Advanced certification is offered to those who can demonstrate an ability to ride in sub freezing temperatures without whining.
W.E.I.R.D.O.S.
Weather Extream Isn't Restricting Doing Outdoor Stuff.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 09-16-12 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-16-12, 11:02 AM   #96
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Let us proudly raise our Fredly Flag, and recite our Motto of Fredness! "Feeling Cycley is better than Looking Cycley!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fredflag.jpg (88.0 KB, 11 views)
David Bierbaum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-12, 11:25 PM   #97
oldbobcat

Bikes: '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My proposals for mini-courses:

Accessories you can attach to your handlebar, stem and seat post. Work that old bar tape--patching with electrical and duct tape. Don't replace that worn chain, the mechanic will just make you buy a new cassette, too! Put a riser stem on that aero frame! Save money--installing riser stems without longer cables! How much gunk will your cassette hold before the chain skates over the cogs? Grinding cleats down so the dealer has to drill out the bolts to install new ones. Creative ways to attach an under-the-saddle bag. Creative ways to attach crap to the outside of an under-the-saddle bag. Leave the pump and tire lever in the garage--you don't know how to fix a flat anyway! Beer jerseys that are sexy and sleeveless. TT clip-ons--do you want a pillow with that? It's OK if I ride in the middle of the road--I've got a mirror!

Last edited by oldbobcat; 09-16-12 at 11:36 PM.
oldbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-12, 04:24 AM   #98
Gravity Aided

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbobcat View Post

Accessories you can attach to your handlebar, stem and seat post. Work that old bar tape--patching with electrical and duct tape. Don't replace that worn chain, the mechanic will just make you buy a new cassette, too! Put a riser stem on that aero frame! Save money--installing riser stems without longer cables! How much gunk will your cassette hold before the chain skates over the cogs? Grinding cleats down so the dealer has to drill out the bolts to install new ones. Creative ways to attach an under-the-saddle bag. Creative ways to attach crap to the outside of an under-the-saddle bag. Leave the pump and tire lever in the garage--you don't know how to fix a flat anyway! Beer jerseys that are sexy and sleeveless. TT clip-ons--do you want a pillow with that? It's OK if I ride in the middle of the road--I've got a mirror!
Said like a director of promotions for the curriculum department .
Old 09-17-12, 09:11 PM   #99
oldbobcat

Bikes: '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Aided View Post
Said like a director of promotions for the curriculum department .
Thank you. I have a Masters in education.
oldbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-12, 09:37 PM   #100
loneviking61

Bikes: Schwinn Trailwise, Surly Pugsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbobcat View Post

Where do I sign up?!
loneviking61 is offline   Reply With Quote