Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fred School

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Graduate course suggestion:Irrelavent forum phrase 601 - How to interject the phrase "Since I don't race..." or a variation thereof into any discussion.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Graduate course suggestion:Irrelavent forum phrase 601 - How to interject the phrase "Since I don't race..." or a variation thereof into any discussion.
    Well, since I don't race, I think that's a great suggestion.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy Trinity Fred University: HTFU now accepting applications...........

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony2v View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This post is the perfect place to list 2 courses that were in the spring flyer from our local community college.
    This is not made up.

1. Exercise for the out of shape! You gotta start somewhere.
    2. How to ride an Electric bicycle. Course requirement, you must be able to ride a non-electric bicycle.

I am just glad my tax dollars are going to productive uses.

No I'm Not a Pirate! Bionicycle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can't forget Rack, Baskets, and Milk Crate installation 101...
    A bird can roost but on one branch, a mouse can drink not more than its fill from a river.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another course for the Bike Mechanic Degree: Attaching Velcro Mounted Mirrors To Handlebars. A course designed to teach the student mechanic the proper method of attaching Velcro mounted mirrors so they don't swivel on the grips as you ride.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Haro beasley, Stumpy26"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just sighned up, went right to 50+, then Fred thread to find out I'm guilty of fredism. Drilled out rim for schrader, wallmart shirt, flats.

OK! The art of pulling over to adjust something on your bike so fast riders can pass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More recently, particularly in the US, a Fred is more often somebody with higher quality and more expensive cycling equipment than his or her talent and commitment would warrant. For example, a stereotypical Fred by this definition would be an individual with little cycling experience who watches the highlights of a few Tour de France stages, then goes to a bike store and purchases a Trek carbon fiber Madone in Team Discovery colors, along with Team Discovery shorts and jersey. Thus outfitted with equipment virtually identical to that which Lance Armstrong used, far more expensive than that used by many high-standard racing cyclists, and more costly than many automobiles, the "Fred" then uses his bicycle merely to ride on a cycling path at 15 mph (24 km/h), something which even the most casual untrained cyclist can manage on an inexpensive hybrid bicycle. Some use "Fred" in a somewhat similar matter, but more synonymous with a roadie poseur. However, a Fred isn't necessarily someone who intentionally tries to put forth an image of being better or more knowledgeable than they are. Rather, a Fred is an inexperienced or unskilled cyclist who gets some top high-end or copy-cat racing gear for any reason. Unlike most poseurs, a Fred may still ride lacking some fundamental piece of competitive roadie equipment or style.

Wait! I know this Fred - A new $4000 carbon bicycle, designer cycling togs, uses a butler to help him clip into the pedals, and only rides along a centurion path at about 15 mph. The family says he's a fanatic; I say he's a Frednatic. Maybe he'll hook up with Dora and have a few baby Freds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trailers 200 - for the sophomore level Fred . finding, repainting , refitting and repurposing old kiddie carriers and jogging strollers for the "Edge of Fredness" bicycle tour. Must complete 7 miles with full fred load , which must be added to with roadside finds during tour .

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread reminds me of how much I miss the Deege.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomper View Post
    More recently, particularly in the US, a Fred is more often somebody with higher quality and more expensive cycling equipment than his or her talent and commitment would warrant. For example, a stereotypical Fred by this definition would be an individual with little cycling experience who watches the highlights of a few Tour de France stages, then goes to a bike store and purchases a Trek carbon fiber Madone in Team Discovery colors, along with Team Discovery shorts and jersey. Thus outfitted with equipment virtually identical to that which Lance Armstrong used, far more expensive than that used by many high-standard racing cyclists, and more costly than many automobiles, the "Fred" then uses his bicycle merely to ride on a cycling path at 15 mph (24 km/h), something which even the most casual untrained cyclist can manage on an inexpensive hybrid bicycle. Some use "Fred" in a somewhat similar matter, but more synonymous with a roadie poseur. However, a Fred isn't necessarily someone who intentionally tries to put forth an image of being better or more knowledgeable than they are. Rather, a Fred is an inexperienced or unskilled cyclist who gets some top high-end or copy-cat racing gear for any reason. Unlike most poseurs, a Fred may still ride lacking some fundamental piece of competitive roadie equipment or style.

Wait! I know this Fred - A new $4000 carbon bicycle, designer cycling togs, uses a butler to help him clip into the pedals, and only rides along a centurion path at about 15 mph. The family says he's a fanatic; I say he's a Frednatic. Maybe he'll hook up with Dora and have a few baby Freds.
    Sorry---you yourself are guilty of confusing "Fred" with "poseur". The Lance wannabe riding the MUP in full Team Discovery/USPS kit with matching bike is a classic poseur.

The Fred would be the guy with panniers on the same bike, riding in cut-offs and a Grateful Dead t-shirt.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bionicycle View Post
    We can't forget Rack, Baskets, and Milk Crate installation 101...
    I'm waiting for a good quality, extra light weight, super strong, carbon fiber milk crate for my bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berner View Post
    I'm waiting for a good quality, extra light weight, super strong, carbon fiber milk crate for my bike.
    You could drill out a plastic one . No waiting .

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RepWI View Post
    Having been Fred for a long time now, where do I enroll in grad school?
    Experience counts, but before applying to grad school you must first pass a test and qualify for your FRED (Fred Equivalency Diploma)

etw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those wanting to do advanced study, here is a required text:

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/bo17.htm

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saddles: Huge, or giant? Extra padded or lazyBoy cushioned?
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etw View Post
    For those wanting to do advanced study, here is a required text:

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/bo17.htm

Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony2v View Post
    There is already a H.T.F.U. which offers survival training for cyclists who cannot handle the rigours of riding out of doors in less than perfect weather. Advanced certification is offered to those who can demonstrate an ability to ride in sub freezing temperatures without whining.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    There is already a H.T.F.U. which offers survival training for cyclists who cannot handle the rigours of riding out of doors in less than perfect weather. Advanced certification is offered to those who can demonstrate an ability to ride in sub freezing temperatures without whining.
    W.E.I.R.D.O.S.
    Weather Extream Isn't Restricting Doing Outdoor Stuff.
    Last edited by Retro Grouch; 09-16-12 at 12:30 PM.

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us proudly raise our Fredly Flag, and recite our Motto of Fredness! "Feeling Cycley is better than Looking Cycley!"
    Fredflag.jpg

My Bikes
    '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My proposals for mini-courses:

Accessories you can attach to your handlebar, stem and seat post. Work that old bar tape--patching with electrical and duct tape. Don't replace that worn chain, the mechanic will just make you buy a new cassette, too! Put a riser stem on that aero frame! Save money--installing riser stems without longer cables! How much gunk will your cassette hold before the chain skates over the cogs? Grinding cleats down so the dealer has to drill out the bolts to install new ones. Creative ways to attach an under-the-saddle bag. Creative ways to attach crap to the outside of an under-the-saddle bag. Leave the pump and tire lever in the garage--you don't know how to fix a flat anyway! Beer jerseys that are sexy and sleeveless. TT clip-ons--do you want a pillow with that? It's OK if I ride in the middle of the road--I've got a mirror!
    Last edited by oldbobcat; 09-17-12 at 12:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbobcat View Post

Accessories you can attach to your handlebar, stem and seat post. Work that old bar tape--patching with electrical and duct tape. Don't replace that worn chain, the mechanic will just make you buy a new cassette, too! Put a riser stem on that aero frame! Save money--installing riser stems without longer cables! How much gunk will your cassette hold before the chain skates over the cogs? Grinding cleats down so the dealer has to drill out the bolts to install new ones. Creative ways to attach an under-the-saddle bag. Creative ways to attach crap to the outside of an under-the-saddle bag. Leave the pump and tire lever in the garage--you don't know how to fix a flat anyway! Beer jerseys that are sexy and sleeveless. TT clip-ons--do you want a pillow with that? It's OK if I ride in the middle of the road--I've got a mirror!
    Said like a director of promotions for the curriculum department .

My Bikes
    '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Aided View Post
    Said like a director of promotions for the curriculum department .
    Thank you. I have a Masters in education.

My Bikes
    Schwinn 700c, Schwinn Varsity
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbobcat View Post

Where do I sign up?!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast