Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, another bib thread - replace 30 milers with 100 milers

Who makes a good quality bib that is comfortable on rides of 100 miles or longer?

My current bibs are Falconi, I purchased 2 for $65 last year. I knew these weren't considered high end bibs, but as a new cyclist who averaged 10-15 miles per ride, these bibs were a good starting point.

I now realize these bibs are comfortable on rides of 30 miles or less. Anything longer, and the moisture build up makes the shorts and the ride irritating. To help reduce moisture, I spend a lot of time riding out of the saddle, which does help a little.

This summer I'd like to ride a couple centuries, I figured new bibs would help.

Typically, you get what you pay for, but do you really have to spend $150 or more to get a quality long mileage bib?

Thanks in advance for your help....

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old saying, "you get what you pay for" could apply here, but it dosen't have to. Look for deals on Amazon or other such sites, sometimes you can find good deals on quality brands. I wear a pair of Craft bibs that I like very much...
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    2002 Trek 7300; 2004 Trek 1000; 2007 Trek pilot 5.0; 2008 Trek 1500; 1997 Bianchi Alloro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Gore Power bibs for years - usually can find them somewhere for $80 +/-. Recently I've been using Performance brand bibs - couple of different varieties around $60 - $70. Great value for the $. But I also know bibs are personal. Lots of choices out there. When you find one you like, buy extra.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Craft, Gore and Performance, are you comfortable on 100 mile rides? Do these bibs make a difference?

I've searched the net, read lots of reviews, except most people are not very specific, lots of first timers, and nothing related to mileage, which complicates the process. And I hate to throw to much money around searching for just the right bib.

Recommendations are appreciated, thank you.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of the most popular name brands are going to be pretty good: Hincapie, PI, Garneau, etc. After that, it's going to be a personal thing as to which works best for you. I use Hincapie and PI the most myself. The official 50+ Champion systems bibs are okay too.

I don't think any brand can really be guaranteed to work on 100 mile rides for a given person. Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that what works for me is to use different brands of shorts. Wearing the same brand/model over several days causes wear in the same locations. Switching brands ensures different parts are irritated, so none develops into anything serious or really uncomfortable. And you pretty well have to spend more money to get comfortable shorts. Just remember to get the heaviest lycra you can get. The stuff gets thinner and more transparent the more you use and launder them.

Luis

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giordana Tenax. Used to buy Bibs in the $75 to $90 mark and these were just a bit more expensive. Made a world of difference to me but i still use some cheaper shorts on rides up to 60 miles without too many problems.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

USMC Veteran, 1975-1977 qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 Rival
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had good luck with the Nashbar bibs (and their other kit too.) The prices are ludicrously low compared to brand names but the are comfortable and wear very well. Nice sturdy, comfortable chamois pads that don't bunch up or irritate me down there at all.

Bill
    "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me", Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chamois creme makes a huge difference in getting any bib to go the distance--whatever it may be.

train safe-

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buelito View Post
    chamois creme makes a huge difference in getting any bib to go the distance--whatever it may be.

train safe-
    *1 to that. Yesterday I forgot to lube up and after 15 miles I was getting distressed. An emergency pack of Chamois Buttr was popped open and it saved the day for sure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    *1 to that. Yesterday I forgot to lube up and after 15 miles I was getting distressed. An emergency pack of Chamois Buttr was popped open and it saved the day for sure.
    Oh please tell me that you went behind some bushes or took advantage a local restroom or private area to apply the butter.

USMC Veteran, 1975-1977 qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 Rival
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ Why should he do that? See the Fred University thread .

Bill
    "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me", Philippians 4:13