Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This weeks ^%"?*) Weather.

We are in drought conditions over here in the south of England and we have a hose pipe ban. Resoirvoirs have been filling up by diverting more water from the rivers to them but we rely more heavily on underwater reserves and they are well down. Last time we had such a serious condition was in 1976 when the whole of Europe was in trouble.

So last Sunday I got a ride in- bit overcast- not too warm and not much wind. it was a 4 layer ride and I even put on the thermal base layer. I normally ride Saturday but it was raining somewhat. So that was one ride. Monday and it persisted down all day. Garden flooded and the chickens were getting webbed feet. Tuesday and just a strong wind so got another ride in before the rain came again. Wednesday and we got flooded again. Had to drain the wife's pool of surplus water so that did not help the flooding situation. One of my neighbours commented that his garden is so water logged that he could not even get down to his shed. Not surprised with all that rain---And his garden is lower than mine (and took the 200 gallons I drained from the pool OOPS.)

Thursday and no rain--But 30 to 50mph winds. Definitely a day for some of those indoor jobs that I have promised the wife for the last month. Today looks OK and I will get a short ride in this morning as I am shopping this afternoon for Furniture. Don't know how I agreed to that. Tomorrow and providing i judge the window right- I should get in a ride. Will have to as once the rain does arrive it will be heavy and last through to the end of Sunday. Next week is looking no better but the temps should start to get near 50f so I am optimistic.

I've had enough of this drought already. I am up to my ankles in drought and if this drought carries on at the rate it is going-It will be over the top of my boots by sunday night.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Word on the street is there will be much more to come. Global climate change and all that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Chicken were getting webbed feet..."
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're had our rain thoughtfully scheduled during the week so that the weekends can be (have been) beautiful weather for cycling!

Sometimes it works like that . . .

My son lives in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, U.K. and has been reporting similar weather to Stapfam.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    Word on the street is there will be much more to come. Global climate change and all that.
    The weather patterns actually aren't any different now than they've been for the last 100 years
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Average temperature is Up a couple degrees planet wide .. http://350.org/

Realize, England +eastern CDN, USA is subject to changes
    in the Caribbean /Atlantic Gulf stream .
    Last edited by fietsbob; 04-27-12 at 10:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thing you're retired that way you can ride when the weather is good for a ride and not worry that the only day you have to ride the weather is the @#$%^!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
    The weather patterns actually aren't any different now than they've been for the last 100 years
    Yeah, sunny and warm Monday thruough Friday, rainy and cold Saturday and Sunday.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, traveling to NYC next week with my bike. Forecast is calling for warm temps and rain by the time I get there. Will be bringing the fenders, rain jacket, and shoe covers.

L.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry guys, it's been really great weather here in Florida. Only rain we've had is late evening and early morning light showers.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    Hmm, traveling to NYC next week with my bike. Forecast is calling for warm temps and rain by the time I get there. Will be bringing the fenders, rain jacket, and shoe covers.

L.
    Remember the sock Fairy??? Many moons ago I bought some Sealskinz Socks. Winter weight and they are water and windproof. Well the Sock fairy struck and I had 2 halves of two pairs of Sealskinz Socks and they were both right handed. As I have a bit of time at present- I decorated the spare bedroom where I keep my cycling clothing. Behind the chest of drawers I found the missing 2 half pairs of socks.

Keep the feet dry and they will stay warm and these keep the feet dry and warm in any conditions. Unless you forget to turn them inside out to dry the inner portion as If you don't--You have wet feet that get cold very quickly.

No need to ask how I know.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Change in weather today--The wind is coming from the North. Still raining and garden is still under water. No ride today but if the wind drops- then ride tomorrow as it "May" not be raining.

Spike Milligan