Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   When is a bike accident not a bike accident? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/814024-when-bike-accident-not-bike-accident.html)

Artkansas 04-27-12 04:01 AM

When is a bike accident not a bike accident?

Is it a bike accident when your bicycle is 20 feet away from you when you crash?

Last evening I was returning home from a meeting. I only had one pannier on the bike but it was loaded and I was riding up a steep hill. It was a long hill so I decided to pause.

The turnout I stopped in was a little uneven. As I put my feet down, it was hard to get a steady stance. I realized that the weight of the pannier was dragging the bike off to one side. My center wasn't widely distributed enough so the bike was pushing me over as well. I let go of the bike and let it fall, and lifted my left leg and did a 180 degree turn over the top tube to get free of the bike as it fell over.

But with the intertia of the spin and the steep angle of the hill I found myself picking up momentum and having to run down the hill. I tried to keep my feet underneath me, but I was going faster and faster. I couldn't slow down and eventually I ended up stumbling and falling, giving my left knee a bad gash.

I guess I should be glad the pannier was on the side away from traffic. :D And nothing some Neosporin, and a paper towel and duct tape for a bandage can't handle.

qcpmsame 04-27-12 05:52 AM

At least you unclipped, no fresh Tombay Artkansas. Glad your leg is not too badly hurt. Keep that load centered and the C.O.G. down low.

Bill

NOS88 04-27-12 06:32 AM

LOL. I know I shouldn't laugh at someone's pain, but the image is just too funny. If it had been me, I would have pretended it never happened. If my wife asked about the gash I would have said, "What gash?"

qcpmsame 04-27-12 06:42 AM

Come back here, Its only a flesh wound, I'll bite your kneecap off

JanMM 04-27-12 03:59 PM

Got video?

sauerwald 04-27-12 04:16 PM

I had a 'bike accident' a couple of years ago. I was walking the bike when I heard someone call my name, I turned, and tripped over the pedal, fell and broke a bone in my hand. When I got to the hospital, one of the questions I was asked was if I was wearing a helmet, and when I said no, this was noted on a bicycle accident form. I am sure that I am a part of the statistics on how dangerous it is to not wear your bike helmet!

stapfam 04-28-12 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by sauerwald (Post 14153475)
I had a 'bike accident' a couple of years ago. I was walking the bike when I heard someone call my name, I turned, and tripped over the pedal, fell and broke a bone in my hand. When I got to the hospital, one of the questions I was asked was if I was wearing a helmet, and when I said no, this was noted on a bicycle accident form. I am sure that I am a part of the statistics on how dangerous it is to not wear your bike helmet!

Bureaucracy gone mad---AGAIN.

And Artkansas--Haven't you learnt NEVER to stop on a hill? Used to think it was just wimpish but you have proved it can be dangerous aswell.

Doohickie 04-28-12 12:41 AM

I would pay to watch the video of that...